Jump to topic:

gay marriage

atheismo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 5:01:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just because youre christian doesn't mean you can force your beliefs on other people. gays are people, too, so they deserve the same rights as all of the other people who get married. personally i find the book of leviticus disgusting so i don't even know why you would use it in THE ACTUAL CONSTITUTIONAL LAW...

Get your bibles (the bible even says that bats == birds, trust it now?) out of the Government and maybe i can start taking republicans seriously...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:50:45 AM
At 3/25/2013 5:01:15 AM, atheismo wrote:
Just because youre christian doesn't mean you can force your beliefs on other people. gays are people, too, so they deserve the same rights as all of the other people who get married. personally i find the book of leviticus disgusting so i don't even know why you would use it in THE ACTUAL CONSTITUTIONAL LAW...

Get your bibles (the bible even says that bats == birds, trust it now?) out of the Government and maybe i can start taking republicans seriously...

Actually it's in the constitution that you have to let the states decide on that issue.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
atheismo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:59:02 AM
At 3/25/2013 7:50:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Actually it's in the constitution that you have to let the states decide on that issue.

No it's not and it actually says in the cosntitution that you cant discriminate against people like gays..
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:15:59 AM
I'm pro gay-marriage.

At 3/25/2013 7:59:02 AM, atheismo wrote:
No it's not and it actually says in the cosntitution that you cant discriminate against people like gays..

where?

here?
14th amendment
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Though I can see some relevance here, I don't know if it's quite explicit enough for a judge to say that gay marriage has to be recognized just as straight marriage is...
And I think we should be careful here, as I think there's Very good reason to be against expansive interpretations of the constitution generally.

And, anyways.. It's only applicable to Gays in the same manner it's applicable to Single-people..
So, if the constitution was, in a legitimate fashion, interpreted to ban favoring straight couples through marriage it would also ban favoring couples over single-people...
Thus getting rid of Political marriage alltogether.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 6:55:20 PM

I am ok with Gay people being in a civil union, but you can't tell me that they're married, because I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. If you try to force that on me you're infringing on my rights.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:31:19 PM
At 3/25/2013 6:55:20 PM, BigSky wrote:

I am ok with Gay people being in a civil union, but you can't tell me that they're married, because I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. If you try to force that on me you're infringing on my rights.

I am okay with interracial couples being in a civil union, but you can't tell me that they're married, because I believe marriage is between a white man and a white woman. If you try to force that on me you're infringing on my rights.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:32:41 PM
*smacks skep* hey wtf is going on
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:33:33 PM
At 3/25/2013 7:31:19 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I am okay with interracial couples being in a civil union, but you can't tell me that they're married, because I believe marriage is between a white man and a white woman. If you try to force that on me you're infringing on my rights.

Agreed those damn dirty race mixers.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 7:53:11 PM

I believe this thread is infringing on my rights.

I am for free association, and believe any two consenting adults, with the exception of a child and parent, should be able to do whatever the f*ck they want, but the OP is stupid.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:51:47 PM
Look at my gay marriage debates.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 8:57:21 PM
Get the state out of marriage in the first place.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 9:12:10 PM

You can believe whatever you want, but you cannot force other people to act a certain way in order to satisfy your beliefs.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 9:45:42 PM

I am ok with straight people being in a civil union, but you can't tell me that they're married, because I believe marriage is between a man and a man or a woman and a woman. If you try to force that on me you're infringing on MY rights.

*pause to LOL*

And Royal is correct in her response to you, Big Sky, on this point, btw.
Tsar of DDO
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 9:58:56 PM
At 3/25/2013 9:12:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

"You can believe whatever you want, but you cannot force other people to act a certain way in order to satisfy your beliefs."

+1

I believe marriage is between two tolerant gay accepting people. You can be in a civil union but if you get married you infringe on my rights.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 10:17:08 PM
At 3/25/2013 9:58:56 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

"You can believe whatever you want, but you cannot force other people to act a certain way in order to satisfy your beliefs."

+1

I believe marriage is between two tolerant gay accepting people. You can be in a civil union but if you get married you infringe on my rights.

I believe that marriage is between two beautiful in shape people who have college degrees in child rearing, because that is best for society. Anyone can be in a civil union but if they get married without the above conditions they infringe on my rights.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 10:18:56 PM
At 3/25/2013 10:17:08 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/25/2013 9:58:56 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

+1

I believe that marriage is between two beautiful in shape people who have college degrees in child rearing, because that is best for society. Anyone can be in a civil union but if they get married without the above conditions they infringe on my rights.

I would like to add that they must be dog lovers and not cat lovers.............because you know cat lovers infringe upon my right too. meeeooo--ches
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 10:27:38 PM

You would have to establish a secular reason to oppose gay marriage, though. If there is no secular reason, there can be no law: this would be creating a law respecting an establishment of religion, which is against our Bill of Rights. Since homosexuals being married under the state (SEPARATE FROM THE CHURCH, may I remind you) definition of marriage doesn't make you any less Christian, it would be stupid not to legalize gay marriage.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 1:46:51 AM

There are no discernible distinctions between races. There are dramatic, discernible distinctions between genders. The male organ fits into the female organ no matter what race is involved. Your failed analogy is a fail.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 5:14:38 AM
At 3/26/2013 1:46:51 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

There are no discernible distinctions between races. There are dramatic, discernible distinctions between genders. The male organ fits into the female organ no matter what race is involved. Your failed analogy is a fail.

hes parodying someone elses post idiot, he doesnt actually believe that.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 6:05:53 AM
You can believe whatever you want, but you cannot force other people to act a certain way in order to satisfy your beliefs.

ummm... Yes you can...

That's the whole idea behind Democracy ;)

Granted, I'm all for enshrining certain lines as tough to cross... But that too is b/c it's what I believe.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 6:14:08 AM
There are dramatic, discernible distinctions between genders. The male organ fits into the female organ no matter what race is involved.

now... One would hope this wouldn't need to get quite so graphic, but I'm pretty sure the male organ fits into a few different areas :/
not all of which are female-specific..

Good of you to worry about the sexual gratification of others, but I'm pretty sure they can figure it out without your help..

Metaphysics:
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 6:56:51 AM
At 3/26/2013 5:14:38 AM, imabench wrote:

I'm pretty sure Geo was responding by showing where the analogy fails.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 7:53:05 AM
At 3/26/2013 6:56:51 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I'm pretty sure Geo was responding by showing where the analogy fails.

Geo thinks gays are behind the Fema camps...

Their mission is to destroy the family, and then they'll run the New World Order families with Strict, Gay Illuminati, efficiency through FEMA.

Metaphysics:
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 8:36:58 AM
no we can very well tell you that they are married but you don't have to accept it. and you might have to accept it after this supreme court case goes through. as long as its not forced on you its not infringing your rights. I can very well say that, "oh those two guys are married." you might think that's grounds to sue but that is very frivolous. telling you that you have to accept it would be infringing on your rights.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 12:36:33 PM

It's laughable that you compare those two. Even if I believed that marriage is between a white man and a white woman, which I don't, you can't force me to think otherwise.
BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 12:38:07 PM

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, but gay people are forcing me to believe that they are married. (which they aren't) I agree that Love has no gender, I love my dad, but I'm not gay.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 1:39:38 PM
At 3/26/2013 12:38:07 PM, BigSky wrote:

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, but gay people are forcing me to believe that they are married. (which they aren't) I agree that Love has no gender, I love my dad, but I'm not gay.
but the state shouldn't sanction the love between you and your dad, for obvious reasons.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 2:25:54 PM

This is a stupid blame game. I can conversely say that yer forcing us to believe that gay people aren't married. It's childish and conductive to nothing but obfuscation. Can we get down to the nitty gritty? That is, the reason you think only gals and guys can mate.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 2:33:22 PM

No sh!t. Learn to read. His parody likened gay marriage to interracial marriage. I debunked that analogy in my post.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 2:43:32 PM

Name is but the Guest of reality :)
what do you care what they're called by the state?

I'd suggest that gay couples should be able to access the same benefits as straight couples.
The name I don't think particularly matters, but if it's the same institution it should be called the same thing.. Doing otherwise could only be b/c of some kind of baggage whose only possible purpose would be to serve as a Reminder of some kind of unjustified Bias...

The word's just a word.. but pointedly calling something different when, politically speaking, it's the same only serves the purpose of the state Stigmatizing/separating people based upon no actual differences in the political affiliation.

Now.. Really we should do away with marriage, name and substance, altogether..

but for those who'd like to keep the substance, it would seem losing the name, and calling all 'marriages' civil-unions would be easiest, but (b/c of how silly people are) I doubt even that would pass muster...

So you dummys are just going to have to eat the fact that gays are gonna marry ;)

Metaphysics: