Obama Signs Monsanto Protection Act

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 11:18:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obama sells out U.S. citizens by signing Monsanto Protection Act into law

Using the deceptive title of Farmer Assurance Provision, Section 735 of this bill actually grants Monsanto immunity from federal courts pending the review of any GM crop that is thought to be dangerous.

Under the section, courts would be helpless to stop Monsanto from continuing to plant GMO crops that are thought -- even by the US government -- to be a danger to human health or our cherised environment.

http://www.examiner.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 12:51:25 PM
At 3/27/2013 12:38:44 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
GMOs are not dangerous... at least, I have found no evidence of them being so in my extensive look into the topic.

Alright... still doesn't mean we give Monsanto blanket immunity in federal court for no good reason.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 1:05:23 PM
GMOs are not dangerous... at least, I have found no evidence of them being so in my extensive look into the topic.

There is no one such thing as a GMO. Foods can be genetically modified in almost an infinite number of ways to suit certain characteristics. Even if we were to accept the (likely flawed) premise that all current GMOs are harmless, it doesn't grant immunity for future GMOs.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 1:14:04 PM
At 3/27/2013 12:51:25 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Alright... still doesn't mean we give Monsanto blanket immunity in federal court for no good reason.

Did you even look this up before concluding that it was "blanket immunity for no good reason"?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 1:23:51 PM
At 3/27/2013 1:14:04 PM, 000ike wrote:

Did you even look this up before concluding that it was "blanket immunity for no good reason"?

Yes.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 7:25:54 PM

Whether or not GMOs are dangerous depends ENTIRELY upon which genes are spliced into them. If more people could accept this simple fact we might be able to fully explore the potential of what is a promising technology. The frankenfoods aren't coming for you, but Monsanto doesn't have your well-being as their highest priority either.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 9:51:31 PM
At 3/27/2013 7:25:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Whether or not GMOs are dangerous depends ENTIRELY upon which genes are spliced into them. If more people could accept this simple fact we might be able to fully explore the potential of what is a promising technology. The frankenfoods aren't coming for you, but Monsanto doesn't have your well-being as their highest priority either.

Who are the people not accepting GMO's? They're in everything, it's whether or not Monsanto should be exempt from federal courts when rulings come down concerning GMOS which it shouldn't be.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 10:07:11 PM
At 3/27/2013 9:51:31 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 7:25:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Who are the people not accepting GMO's? They're in everything, it's whether or not Monsanto should be exempt from federal courts when rulings come down concerning GMOS which it shouldn't be.

I'm not arguing against that, I agree with it. He just seemed to imply that either GMO's are harmful or they are not, when it really depends on what, precisely, has been tweaked about their genetics. I wanted to clarify that. And there are a good amount of people who go berserk at the first mention of GMOs. You'll usually find them in Whole Foods stores.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Jon_Day
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:00:21 PM
At 3/27/2013 1:23:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 1:14:04 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yes.

You apparently didn't look it up with much effort, because what you're saying is incorrect. Just read this snopes article on the topic: http://www.snopes.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 6:54:49 PM

My problem is more that it is essentially a monopoly. Monsanto has a 94% market share, and that is dangerous.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:02:54 PM
At 9/18/2013 6:54:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

My problem is more that it is essentially a monopoly. Monsanto has a 94% market share, and that is dangerous.

I find that hard to believe. Farmers that don't want to purchase biotech seeds can purchase organic seeds as well as conventional seeds from 200+ companies. Biotech companies like DuPont, Syngenta and Dow compete with Monsanto in GMO industry. If there were a monopoly on biotechnology, there would be no competition.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:40:53 PM
EVERYTHING is or was genetically modified. That's how evolution works (don't believe in evolution, go ahead and challenge me to a debate. I apologise in advance for destroying you.). Humans may be messing about with it, but here's the thing - we've always done that. That's what agriculture does, we pick the strains we like, maybe crossbreed them with other ones to get characteristics we like, but we modify things to make them work better. The only new thing about 'GMOs' is that we have some newer technology. Say what you want about the bill, but ffs, leave the GMOs alone.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 2:46:17 AM
At 9/18/2013 11:40:53 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
EVERYTHING is or was genetically modified. That's how evolution works (don't believe in evolution, go ahead and challenge me to a debate. I apologise in advance for destroying you.). Humans may be messing about with it, but here's the thing - we've always done that. That's what agriculture does, we pick the strains we like, maybe crossbreed them with other ones to get characteristics we like, but we modify things to make them work better. The only new thing about 'GMOs' is that we have some newer technology. Say what you want about the bill, but ffs, leave the GMOs alone.

There is a world of difference between crossbreeding plant varieties and altering their DNA by infusing it with different genes. The first genetically modified plant was only created 30 years ago and is a fairly recent technology, while plant breeding has been around for thousands of years.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:13:25 PM
At 9/19/2013 2:46:17 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 9/18/2013 11:40:53 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

There is a world of difference between crossbreeding plant varieties and altering their DNA by infusing it with different genes. The first genetically modified plant was only created 30 years ago and is a fairly recent technology, while plant breeding has been around for thousands of years.

Well, excuuuse me. DNA mutations create new genes all the time and we have no idea what's going on with those, if anything. we're introducing new one's we're already familiar with when we create GMOs.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 9:36:13 PM
At 3/27/2013 11:18:16 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama sells out U.S. citizens by signing Monsanto Protection Act into law

Using the deceptive title of Farmer Assurance Provision, Section 735 of this bill actually grants Monsanto immunity from federal courts pending the review of any GM crop that is thought to be dangerous.

Under the section, courts would be helpless to stop Monsanto from continuing to plant GMO crops that are thought -- even by the US government -- to be a danger to human health or our cherised environment.

http://www.examiner.com...

http://www.snopes.com...
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 9:41:56 PM
At 9/18/2013 11:02:54 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 9/18/2013 6:54:49 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I find that hard to believe. Farmers that don't want to purchase biotech seeds can purchase organic seeds as well as conventional seeds from 200+ companies. Biotech companies like DuPont, Syngenta and Dow compete with Monsanto in GMO industry. If there were a monopoly on biotechnology, there would be no competition.

Rather that would make it an oligopoly.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 3:05:44 AM
Monsanto patents a bunch of their genetically modified crops. If you have a patent, it is by definition a monopoly (although there can be good substitute goods for it, making the demand for the product too elastic).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 2:33:49 PM

That's not the point.

The point is that Monsanto has a patent on their strains of modified soybeans, and they find there way into other soybean fields owned by smaller farms. Monsanto claims then claims the farmer's fields bear Monsanto's fruit, and they eventually seize the farmer's property.

The law has removed any chance of taking judicial action against Monsanto. Essentially, a blank check.
turn down for h'what