Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Military Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 12:51:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh wait, I forgot. Drones don't exist, Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 1:13:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I listened to an NPR piece about domestic drones.

This already occurs, but domestic drones are typically much more similar to paper airplanes than Predators. They're typically hand-launched, and typically have an hour or so's worth of flight time, and fly a couple feet above the intended area of surveillance. This saves a police department a lot of money and man-power in how they survey an area.

The NPR piece also went into the legality of it, how laws regarding search warrants don't exactly apply to drones, making this a rather nebulous issue.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 1:33:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 12:51:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Oh wait, I forgot. Drones don't exist, Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist.

Nobody is denying that drones exist dumba**.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 2:31:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 1:33:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/27/2013 12:51:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Oh wait, I forgot. Drones don't exist, Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist.

Nobody is denying that drones exist dumba**.

Former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs:

"When I went through the process of becoming press secretary," Gibbs said, "one of the things, one of the first things they told me was, "You"re not even to acknowledge the drone program. You"re not even to discuss that it exists.'

Here"s what"s inherently crazy about that proposition," Gibbs said. "You"re being asked a question based on reporting of a program that exists. So you"re the official government spokesperson acting as if the entire program -- pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

If you're saying drones exist then how is Alex Jones a conspiracy theorist.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 2:43:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 1:33:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/27/2013 12:51:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Oh wait, I forgot. Drones don't exist, Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist.

Nobody is denying that drones exist dumba**.

Ya to be fair the whitehouse was explicit in denying the existence of the well known drone program for years.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 2:45:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hope you realize that I could probably buy a remote controlled airplane more dangerous than these drones.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 2:49:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 2:45:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I hope you realize that I could probably buy a remote controlled airplane more dangerous than these drones.

The point is that they are used as unauthorized surveillance.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 4:29:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 2:49:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/27/2013 2:45:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I hope you realize that I could probably buy a remote controlled airplane more dangerous than these drones.

The point is that they are used as unauthorized surveillance.

You do realize there are satellites recording basically anything it wants, electrical telescopes that can read a name tag a mile away, swiveling street cameras on residential corners...

There is nothing novel here except that in the FAA has to make special regulations in order for drones to fly in that territory.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 4:33:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...

You realize the "sky" has been watching you ever since the CIA got access to a satellite, right?
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 4:40:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For people who actually listen and care: the UAVs planned for deployment in US airspace are intended to occupy civilian roles, such as assistance in first responder/firefighting endeavors and in general usage as a cheap alternative to helicopters (forgot about those fascist devices, did we?). The notion that these drones are going to be used to keep "tabs" on people and carry out en masse surveillance is simply unsubstantiated foaming-at-the-mouth fear-mongering.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 6:41:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 4:29:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 3/27/2013 2:49:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/27/2013 2:45:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I hope you realize that I could probably buy a remote controlled airplane more dangerous than these drones.

The point is that they are used as unauthorized surveillance.

You do realize there are satellites recording basically anything it wants, electrical telescopes that can read a name tag a mile away, swiveling street cameras on residential corners...

There is nothing novel here except that in the FAA has to make special regulations in order for drones to fly in that territory.

So your logic is that because there is already bad stuff happening, we should let more bad stuff happen? Cool.

Either way, I don't support what you listed above- assuming that it's true.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 7:13:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
@Wnope

They're arresting people in North Dakota using drones. Satellite's have not been used for any such thing nor can satellites get visuals on faces.

If you think there's no difference between drones and satellites you need to get your head checked.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 7:17:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...

So if unarmed drones can be used to make life safer, why not use them? Its no different than a security camera.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 9:34:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 7:17:53 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...

So if unarmed drones can be used to make life safer, why not use them? Its no different than a security camera.

I'm sure that's the very logic that justified the State in 1984.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:27:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
No response to my post. You can't even do that?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:07:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 9:34:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/27/2013 7:17:53 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...

So if unarmed drones can be used to make life safer, why not use them? Its no different than a security camera.

I'm sure that's the very logic that justified the State in 1984.

But drones are only surveillance (at least in the us), I have no problem with that.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:45:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, when will Bloomberg be done being an election cudgel for Republicans?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lannan13
Posts: 23,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:50:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well what else does the US have to do with it's massive supply of drones? Drone the sh*t out of North Korea?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:50:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/27/2013 4:40:08 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
For people who actually listen and care: the UAVs planned for deployment in US airspace are intended to occupy civilian roles, such as assistance in first responder/firefighting endeavors and in general usage as a cheap alternative to helicopters (forgot about those fascist devices, did we?). The notion that these drones are going to be used to keep "tabs" on people and carry out en masse surveillance is simply unsubstantiated foaming-at-the-mouth fear-mongering.

Did you read the article Geo posted? They are going to be used for surveillance. Even if they were not, they should still not be employed because they can be abused by Big Brother to control the masses. Moreover, your argument makes no sense. How can airborne devices with no pilots act as first responders?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:53:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Like, how can an unpiloted aircraft take people who are buried under a building to a hospital? How can they keep people who are in critical condition alive on the way to a hospital.They can't do anything; people are needed to act as first responders. I think you are just swallowing propaganda uncritically.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:12:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/28/2013 7:07:34 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 9:34:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 3/27/2013 7:17:53 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 3/27/2013 12:50:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Military-style Drones to Patrol NYC: Bloomberg

Like it or not, the eye in the sky will soon be following your every move, according to Mayor Bloomberg.

"You can't keep the tides from coming in," the mayor remarked when asked about drones on his weekly radio show.

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I just don't see how you could stop that."

The NYPD already has cameras mounted at strategic locations around the city and there's no reason, by the mayor's reckoning, that they have to attached to light poles.

"It's scary. What's the difference if a drone is up in the air or on a building," he said.

"I mean, intellectually, I have trouble making a distinction. And you know you're going to have face recognition software. People are working on that."

The mayor put the timeframe for an all-seeing society at about five years, when he estimated "there'll be cameras every place."

Using the same line of reasoning, Bloomberg urged Albany to approve speed cameras to catch motorists going too fast on city streets.

"The argument against using automation, it's this craziness-- oh, it's big brother. Get used to it."

http://www.nypost.com...

So if unarmed drones can be used to make life safer, why not use them? Its no different than a security camera.

I'm sure that's the very logic that justified the State in 1984.

But drones are only surveillance (at least in the us), I have no problem with that.

A significant portion of the authoritarian State is the desire and ability to know everything about each of its citizens.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."