Jump to topic:

Peter Schiff Smacks Down An Anarchist

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 12:21:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Peter Schiff, CEO of Euro Pacific Capital and Ron Paul's former economic adviser, smacks down Adam Kokesh, an Anarchist from RT arguing for no government.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 12:41:41 AM
Watching--so far, I'm completely disappointed: first, I think people like Adam Kokesh and Stefan Molyneux aren't, to me, palatable examples of anarchism. I think not only that anarchism can't be simplified into something like the ad hoc, non-nuanced defense offered by Kokesh, but that, insofar as I grant that Peter Schiff's commentary is a "smackdown" (which evaluation is incredibly hyperbolic, given that Schiff's argumentation is essentially a series of incredulous assertions and counter-assertions, like the assertion that anarchy is impossible without living on an island or that government is an inevitable consequence of human coexistence), I'd argue that, given the polymorphous nature of anarchism, the connotation of a phrase like "smacks down an anarchist" is misleading to the extent that the intention is to discredit rejection of government (if this wasn't the purpose, then posting the video is just useless provocation).

On the other hand, the video is obviously biased--it keeps subtly prodding viewers with manipulative subtitling/peppering with Ron Paul clips, not to mention Kokesh's tendency to pull the microphone away from Schiff to interrupt his answer, which is just dishonest. After about 5:00, both guys are just talking over each other, rather than having an extended and reasoned discussion--Kokesh asserting vague AnCap platitudes, Schiff repeating that anarchy is impossible/idealistic.

That wasn't a smackdown--it was a muddled mess whose only mark of distinction is having brought together two outspoken public libertarians.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:29:23 AM
@Cody

It was quite in depth for it being an ambush interview with limited time. If Peter Schiff sat down with him for a 2 hour debate panel, maybe you'd find the kind of high standard argumentation you're looking for.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 2:03:41 PM
At 3/28/2013 12:41:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Watching--so far, I'm completely disappointed: first, I think people like Adam Kokesh and Stefan Molyneux aren't, to me, palatable examples of anarchism. I think not only that anarchism can't be simplified into something like the ad hoc, non-nuanced defense offered by Kokesh, but that, insofar as I grant that Peter Schiff's commentary is a "smackdown" (which evaluation is incredibly hyperbolic, given that Schiff's argumentation is essentially a series of incredulous assertions and counter-assertions, like the assertion that anarchy is impossible without living on an island or that government is an inevitable consequence of human coexistence), I'd argue that, given the polymorphous nature of anarchism, the connotation of a phrase like "smacks down an anarchist" is misleading to the extent that the intention is to discredit rejection of government (if this wasn't the purpose, then posting the video is just useless provocation).

On the other hand, the video is obviously biased--it keeps subtly prodding viewers with manipulative subtitling/peppering with Ron Paul clips, not to mention Kokesh's tendency to pull the microphone away from Schiff to interrupt his answer, which is just dishonest. After about 5:00, both guys are just talking over each other, rather than having an extended and reasoned discussion--Kokesh asserting vague AnCap platitudes, Schiff repeating that anarchy is impossible/idealistic.

That wasn't a smackdown--it was a muddled mess whose only mark of distinction is having brought together two outspoken public libertarians.

^This guy is smart as fvck.
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom