Jump to topic:

Why is the NRA so popular?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 6:20:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love America probably more than the average American, but every once in while I wonder whether a good chunk of America is legitimately retarded. Why does the National Rifle Association have 48% approval when it opposes something that 91% of America supports? (background checks) Why does the NRA have 48% approval when it's sending robo-calls to Newtown residents slandering the president and advocating gun deregulation? Why does the NRA have 48% approval when its president propagates lies about Obama's gun regulation suggestions. I just saw an NRA ad claiming that Obama wants to take away peoples guns. Why does the NRA have 48% approval when it ran a national political advertisement invoking the president's children?

What is there to approve? What gun rights is this bureaucratic abomination protecting?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:11:25 PM
At 3/28/2013 6:37:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

This is also a good explanation as to why capitalists tend to win over labor unions - much more focused benefits.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:12:32 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:11:25 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 3/28/2013 6:37:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

This is also a good explanation as to why capitalists tend to win over labor unions - much more focused benefits.

Don't members of labor unions have equally as much to gain?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:26:20 PM
At 3/28/2013 6:20:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
I love America probably more than the average American, but every once in while I wonder whether a good chunk of America is legitimately retarded. Why does the National Rifle Association have 48% approval when it opposes something that 91% of America supports? (background checks) Why does the NRA have 48% approval when it's sending robo-calls to Newtown residents slandering the president and advocating gun deregulation? Why does the NRA have 48% approval when its president propagates lies about Obama's gun regulation suggestions. I just saw an NRA ad claiming that Obama wants to take away peoples guns. Why does the NRA have 48% approval when it ran a national political advertisement invoking the president's children?

What is there to approve? What gun rights is this bureaucratic abomination protecting?

In 'Merica, they have a fetish for firearms.
Tsar of DDO
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:28:28 PM

I don't agree with everything They do. But I'm an NRA member because I want to retain my gun rights.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:32:07 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:28:28 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I don't agree with everything They do. But I'm an NRA member because I want to retain my gun rights.

Yeah, because Obama's just iching to ban the 2nd Amendment right? No gun rights are in danger....unless you're one of those people that thinks he should have access to every weapon in existence and shoot it with infinite ammo.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:36:57 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:32:07 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yeah, because Obama's just iching to ban the 2nd Amendment right? No gun rights are in danger....unless you're one of those people that thinks he should have access to every weapon in existence and shoot it with infinite ammo.

Some are, like assault rifles. People, even St. Obama, DO want to ban guns, or some types of guns. I don't see why they shouldn't be so popular. Gun rights are popular, and so are they.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:37:26 PM

What's to say that mild gun restriction won't breed stricter ones. And I have a vested interest in weak gun bans because I would like to keep my AR-15 (that I have not killed anyone with).
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:45:26 PM
Ya it's just something in American culture that some people don't understand. I like being able to buy, sell and trade guns with other individuals without having to go through an FFL. It's really just a disconnect between cultures, those who aren't gun people just have trouble comprehending why gun owners are unwilling to give a single inch on the issue.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:47:17 PM
Also, you aren't doing yourself any favors calling gun control opponents retards.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:49:56 PM
The NRA just makes a nice figurehead for the left to attack, they can't comprehend the gun culture so they need the NRA to be a scapegoat to focus all their attacks.

The NRA isn't the reason politicians don't want to vote on gun control, it's because their constitutions will vote them out of power. Harry Reid isn't bowing to the NRA when he refuses to include Diane Feinsteins ban, Harry Reid is trying to save his own a.s.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:52:59 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:37:26 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

What's to say that mild gun restriction won't breed stricter ones. And I have a vested interest in weak gun bans because I would like to keep my AR-15 (that I have not killed anyone with).

Okay so you are indeed one of those people who just eat up the NRA's fear based propaganda....and evidently you don't seem to give a flying sh!t about the people who are being killed in high-crime urban slums on a daily basis, or the kids who lost their lives because a madman had access to weapons that he shouldn't have had. All I'm reading from you is you, you, you and your own selfish petty interests. That's all "gun rights" advocates ever care about...their fervor, their anger, their organization, it all sprouts from their desire to keep their stupid hobbies, and nothing more. The language of the Constitution hasn't been this abused since Schenck v. U.S.

And now because of you people, something as small, basic, and benign as background checks is seemingly impossible to move through Congress, talkless of other more substantial limitations.

I guess this isn't just an American thing. Human beings are short sighted self centered people whose empathy bears action insofar as it does not infringe on their own prerogatives. Nobility is not real.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 7:56:37 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:52:59 PM, 000ike wrote:

Okay so you are indeed one of those people who just eat up the NRA's fear based propaganda....and evidently you don't seem to give a flying sh!t about the people who are being killed in high-crime urban slums on a daily basis, or the kids who lost their lives because a madman had access to weapons that he shouldn't have had. All I'm reading from you is you, you, you and your own selfish petty interests. That's all "gun rights" advocates ever care about...their fervor, their anger, their organization, it all sprouts from their desire to keep their stupid hobbies, and nothing more. The language of the Constitution hasn't been this abused since Schenck v. U.S.

And now because of you people, something as small, basic, and benign as background checks is seemingly impossible to move through Congress, talkless of other more substantial limitations.

I guess this isn't just an American thing. Human beings are short sighted self centered people whose empathy bears action insofar as it does not infringe on their own prerogatives. Nobility is not real.
I would bet that most urban slum killings are perpetrated by illegal guns. Also, before blaming guns for school shootings, why don't we think about what could drive a man to walk into a school and kill 20 kids execution style. That seems to be a more pressing question!

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:04:12 PM

You do realize that said urban slums usually have very strict gun laws? You're perpetuating the fictitious assumption of causative relationship between guns and crime in order to fuel misguided moral outrage. If this is engendered by an inflexible political ideology, then there is nothing to be done. If you are honestly ignorant, then I recommend this blog post by Ore_Ele debunking the slanted statistical analyses so prevalent when it comes to this issue: http://blog.debate.org...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:04:19 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:56:37 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

I would bet that most urban slum killings are perpetrated by illegal guns. Also, before blaming guns for school shootings, why don't we think about what could drive a man to walk into a school and kill 20 kids execution style. That seems to be a more pressing question!

Nonsense. American gun-related crime rate is one of, if not the highest among the 1st world. We're in the company of underdeveloped and poorer countries like Panama, the Philippines, and Paraguay. Don't point to video games or television or any other hair-brained cliche, for the love of God. Don't they have these things in Britain or Japan or Spain too? Our rate is the product of our law and nothing else. People are just too stupid, self-serving, and paranoid to reform it.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:06:13 PM
At 3/28/2013 7:47:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Also, you aren't doing yourself any favors calling gun control opponents retards.

Yes, plus it's an insult to the mentally handicapped.

The proper term is fanatics.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:06:32 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:04:19 PM, 000ike wrote:

Nonsense. American gun-related crime rate is one of, if not the highest among the 1st world. We're in the company of underdeveloped and poorer countries like Panama, the Philippines, and Paraguay. Don't point to video games or television or any other hair-brained cliche, for the love of God. Don't they have these things in Britain or Japan or Spain too? Our rate is the product of our law and nothing else. People are just too stupid, self-serving, and paranoid to reform it.

Well, duh our gun crime rate is higher than places where guns are banned. Doesn't mean that our crime would go down if guns where banned. compare Britains murder rate per population to ours. Not gun, murder.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:08:49 PM

Guns per capita and homicide rate in the US has zero correlation.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:09:41 PM

Actually, on any graph of per capita gun homicides and gun ownership the US is a HUGE outlier.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:12:48 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:04:12 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You do realize that said urban slums usually have very strict gun laws? You're perpetuating the fictitious assumption of causative relationship between guns and crime in order to fuel misguided moral outrage. If this is engendered by an inflexible political ideology, then there is nothing to be done. If you are honestly ignorant, then I recommend this blog post by Ore_Ele debunking the slanted statistical analyses so prevalent when it comes to this issue: http://blog.debate.org...

They aren't succeeding because guns are being trafficked into urban areas from Southern and Western states, with more lenient policies. It's impossible to contain an epidemic if the country is not in agreement.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:13:49 PM

Thought of this song.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:15:02 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:12:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/28/2013 8:04:12 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

They aren't succeeding because guns are being trafficked into urban areas from Southern and Western states, with more lenient policies. It's impossible to contain an epidemic if the country is not in agreement.

Did you look at the link? Gun ownership is not the problem. Poverty and low graduation rates are. The data contradicts everything that you are saying.
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:17:25 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:09:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Actually, on any graph of per capita gun homicides and gun ownership the US is a HUGE outlier.

Wouldn't that graph be irrelevant to the "More guns = more gun deaths" debate?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:19:42 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:17:25 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

... why would a graph comparing gun homicides to gun ownerships be irrelevant? Keep in mind that 'gun deaths' includes gun suicides.
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:22:27 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:19:42 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

... why would a graph comparing gun homicides to gun ownerships be irrelevant? Keep in mind that 'gun deaths' includes gun suicides.

Oh, I thought you meant a graph comparing gun deaths per gun ownership. For instance, say France has 10% gun ownership and has 50 gun murders per million, while the United States has 50% gun ownership and has 70 gun murder per million. The United States has more gun murders than France, but much more guns, so the gun murder rate per gun is lower.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:27:41 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:22:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Oh, I thought you meant a graph comparing gun deaths per gun ownership. For instance, say France has 10% gun ownership and has 50 gun murders per million, while the United States has 50% gun ownership and has 70 gun murder per million. The United States has more gun murders than France, but much more guns, so the gun murder rate per gun is lower.

It's similar to that, as in it's on a per capita basis. It compares gun homicide deaths per 100,000 people to guns owned per 100 people, if I'm not mistaken.
- Hilaire Belloc -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:29:03 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:15:02 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Did you look at the link? Gun ownership is not the problem. Poverty and low graduation rates are. The data contradicts everything that you are saying.

I understand the correlation between poverty and crime, but I still hold that the law is the cause of our problems. U.K. has 17% of the population in poverty, the U.S has 16% in poverty.....yet U.K has 0.25 fire-arm related death rate and U.S has 10.2. How do those statistics you cited explain this disparity?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:29:31 PM
At 3/28/2013 8:27:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/28/2013 8:22:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It's similar to that, as in it's on a per capita basis. It compares gun homicide deaths per 100,000 people to guns owned per 100 people, if I'm not mistaken.

A more indicative graph would include "Percent of population with guns," not "guns per 100 people."