Jump to topic:

Liberalism has Won

AStevenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 11:53:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As my first post on this website, I would just like to say that you conservatives and libertarians are dying out because of your political views in economics. This country is moving further in the right direction. I hope you guys have fun living in an entirely liberal country in the future. America is moving forward, not backward.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 11:55:21 PM
At 3/29/2013 11:53:31 PM, AStevenson wrote:
As my first post on this website, I would just like to say that you conservatives and libertarians are dying out because of your political views in economics. This country is moving further in the right direction. I hope you guys have fun living in an entirely liberal country in the future. America is moving forward, not backward.

Such is the nature of human development.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 11:56:34 PM

I'd like to offer you a credit card, free, with absolutely no strings attached.
AStevenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:00:10 AM
At 3/29/2013 11:56:34 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Wait a minute, we have spam on this website? How can the website owners allow that. It does not seem right.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:01:50 AM
At 3/30/2013 12:00:10 AM, AStevenson wrote:

Wait a minute, we have spam on this website? How can the website owners allow that. It does not seem right.

And my dreams of becoming a billionaire overnight are suddenly smashed.
AStevenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:03:50 AM
At 3/29/2013 11:55:21 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, Republicans are like kings and queens living on the backs of people. It's like the French Revolution!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:08:47 AM

Countries do not move forwards or backwards. They change, usually in a predictable manner tending towards corruption and dissolution. Your belief that your country will 'move forward', constantly improving in a great quest for perfection reveals an immense naivete when it comes to matters of geopolitical history. I've given up the illusion that reasoned discourse can change the events around me a long while ago, and will be looking on indifferently when your grand plans are co-opted by special interests, and their supporters frantically scramble to blame such failings on whichever irrelevant boogeyman the unerring party manages to conjure up. But don't stop waving your pom-poms on my account; I wouldn't want to spoil your fun.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:00:24 AM
At 3/30/2013 12:07:29 AM, AStevenson wrote:
Where's a 90% income tax on the 1% when you need one. They don't need all that money.

Whether they "need" it is irrelevant. You are operating under the false paradigm that The People, who are presumably represented by the State, have an inherent right to everything that an individual earns. In other words, individuals are solely part of the collective, with all of their actions going towards collective (presumably) benefit. The concept of a tax allows the potentiality for the reach to 100% of income; whether anybody has actually advocated for this is irrelevant- potentiality is the critical factor here. Thus, the State allows individuals to keep some of their earnings, instead of actually recognizing that the earnings are theirs.

Fundamentally, this is wrong because the State has no justification to the earnings of an individual, because even if the State provides public goods for the use of individuals, these goods were payed for using coercion. The individual did not express his agreement for the payment for these goods, and thus he cannot be legitimately charged. Taxes, under this paradigm, are equivalent to theft.

If an mafia boss came to your house and said that they were going to offer you "protection" in exchange for X amount of dollars and said that this was a non-negotiable offer, the payment for those services is illegitimate because you did not agree to it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:01:41 AM
At 3/30/2013 12:03:50 AM, AStevenson wrote:

Yeah, Republicans are like kings and queens living on the backs of people. It's like the French Revolution!

It would surely be inconvenient if the French Revolution gave birth to some of the nastiest dictators throughout history and set the moral foundation for authoritarianism and modern fascism.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:16:39 AM
At 3/30/2013 1:01:41 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

It would surely be inconvenient if the French Revolution gave birth to some of the nastiest dictators throughout history and set the moral foundation for authoritarianism and modern fascism.

Yah I thought it was generally accepted that the French Revolution was a social disaster. I guess not
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:34:50 AM
At 3/30/2013 1:16:39 AM, thett3 wrote:

That's a brave proposal.

That a bit bold too.

Yah I thought it was generally accepted that the French Revolution was a social disaster. I guess not

Edmund Burke's view of the French revolution is less than favorable; I actually like Burke, but he shifts from being a dogmatic blowhard to raising salient points when talking about it. His is the view that shapes most textbooks of European history published in the United States. Outside of England and the United States, many consider the French revolution to be more significant (historically) even than the American revolution.
Tsar of DDO
AStevenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 8:10:31 AM

The revolution stood for equality, liberty, and fraternity. While the revolution had its downs, what it stood for at first is no doubt up.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 8:14:20 AM
I don't know about economic liberalism, but social liberalism ALWAYS wins, maybe not immediately, but eventually.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:05:02 AM
At 3/30/2013 8:14:20 AM, 000ike wrote:
I don't know about economic liberalism, but social liberalism ALWAYS wins, maybe not immediately, but eventually.

Economic liberalism is free trade; conservatives and libertarians advocate economic liberalism. I think you mean economic-progressivism.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:08:52 AM
America is moving forward, not backward.
It's like the French Revolution!

Oh the irony
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:09:49 AM

The ignorance... it burns. It literally burns...

Oh and by the way your definition of liberalism is wrong. Liberal, with the ism is the classical liberalism which is more in line with the American conservatives... You want social democracy as your philosophy so not to confuse people who actually understand politics on this site.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:18:36 AM

I am laughing so hard at your knowledge in history. I can't wait to see how you fail in the Vietnam War debate.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:21:40 AM
At 3/30/2013 11:18:36 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

I am laughing so hard at your knowledge in history. I can't wait to see how you fail in the Vietnam War debate.

Yeah, you snuck the we won "while we were there" into the resolution. You sneaky bastard. No way he wins now.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:39:02 PM
At 3/30/2013 8:10:31 AM, AStevenson wrote:

The revolution stood for equality, liberty, and fraternity. While the revolution had its downs, what it stood for at first is no doubt up.

Have you heard of Jean Jacque Roussea and Robbespiere (spelling is probably wrong)? These were the men who inspired modern day fascism by Mussolini, and thus had as effect on American Progressivism and furthermore American Modern Liberalism. There ideas were highly reflective of the French Revolution, and is one of the reasons why it was a complete failure.

Oh yeah, and around 50k people were executed.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:14:30 PM
At 3/30/2013 11:09:49 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

The ignorance... it burns. It literally burns...

Oh and by the way your definition of liberalism is wrong. Liberal, with the ism is the classical liberalism which is more in line with the American conservatives... You want social democracy as your philosophy so not to confuse people who actually understand politics on this site.

It's conservatism sans legislated morality and free-market eccentricism.

Add in a strong social safety net and yes, it is social democracy.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
giraffelover
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:14:42 PM

Thanks for the credit card. (Runs it through a shredder.). Where are the no strings attached when you pay a 21% interest rate? Don't fall for the X days same as cash. Almost 9 out of 10 times, you won't pay it within X days so it's just like using credit without X days same as cash.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:20:21 PM
the write direction should be centrism, if that's the right word. its not to liberal and not to conservative. liberal is just to active, but some aspects of the conservative party are just too far
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
giraffelover
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:27:39 PM
At 3/30/2013 2:20:21 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
the write direction should be centrism, if that's the right word. its not to liberal and not to conservative. liberal is just to active, but some aspects of the conservative party are just too far

Good point. Be balanced. Btw, if anyone's interested in seeing how well he/she would do as president of the US, there's a game called Oval Office.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:40:15 PM
At 3/30/2013 1:34:50 AM, YYW wrote:

That's a brave proposal.

That a bit bold too.

Edmund Burke's view of the French revolution is less than favorable; I actually like Burke, but he shifts from being a dogmatic blowhard to raising salient points when talking about it. His is the view that shapes most textbooks of European history published in the United States. Outside of England and the United States, many consider the French revolution to be more significant (historically) even than the American revolution.

Oh no doubt it was significant. But I'll bite, do you believe it was a good thing?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:43:19 PM
At 3/30/2013 8:10:31 AM, AStevenson wrote:

Liberty and equality are mutually exclusive. Moreover the manner the revolution tried to accomplish these ends, rather than reasonable redistribution (redistribution wouldve been justified in many cases since the clergy and aristocracy lived off the backs of the peasants) they engaged in wanton murder, theft, warfare and slavery (levee en mass) and nearly complete cultural annihilation. I would take the ancien regime over revolutionary France any day
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:54:19 PM
At 3/30/2013 3:48:35 PM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
Keynes was a big fan of Burke, which is pretty much all you need to know to tell he wasn't up to any good.

Uhh no, thats really not all you need
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:54:59 PM
I will refer you to this video.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus