Jump to topic:

Lets Analyze a Poll!

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:42:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The poll to be analyzed: http://www.angus-reid.com...

Now, note - this isn't a poll about support for Obama. The question was not, "do you continue to support Barack Obama as President?" The question was, "Barack Obama was elected President of the United States one year ago. So far, has Barack Obama performed… [answers]".

This means that this is asking how respondent's feel about Obama's performance. Not that they support it, but how has he met expectations. You can gleam some support from the numbers, but it is a little difficult because even those that may say he has performed much worse will still vote Democrat, just out of apathy towards the GOP.

So - discuss!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:47:13 PM
Unsurprising.
Those who voted for him are for him
those who voted against are against

I think one which showed people who claim to be "independant" would be more illuminating.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:49:15 PM
At 11/13/2009 5:47:13 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I think one which showed people who claim to be "independant" would be more illuminating.

Agreed.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:54:47 PM
Angus-reid? Never heard of it before.

Well, the numbers say he's doing below-average, or sub-par.

Better than expected - 12%
About the same as expected - 48%
Worse than expected - 36%
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:58:06 PM
because even those that may say he has performed much worse will still vote Democrat, just out of apathy towards the GOP.
I think you're looking for "antipathy."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 5:58:23 PM
At 11/13/2009 5:54:47 PM, Nags wrote:

Yeah but I know lots of republicans, and lots of em I know had terribly low expectations to begin with, and yet I still think they would say he's underperforming, mostly just b/c they would always answer the worst possible answer regarding him

Did you expect him to do bad? oh so bad!
Is it worse than you expected? oh far worse!

lol
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:01:15 PM
At 11/13/2009 5:54:47 PM, Nags wrote:

That is because it is a Canadian pollster which looks more into international affairs than just American.

Well, sort of agreed. He's doing "average." I wouldn't say below-average, because 48% - just about half - think he's doing what they expected him to. Giving the high expectations he was laden with, I would rather put it as a positive, rather than a negative.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:16:17 PM
Well, to be fair, you have to realize that the people saying he's doing worse than they expected are not necessarily Republicans.

Take, for example, me. If I lived in the states, I would not be a Democrat but I would have voted for Obama. I would rate his performance 'worse than expected' because I'm appalled at his continuation of the Patriot Act, FISA, war in Afghanistan, opposition to gay marriage, etc.

That isn't to say, however, that I'd be more inclined to vote GOP. I think that anyone except Barack Obama would have much worse statistics than this.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:21:56 PM
At 11/13/2009 6:16:17 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:
That isn't to say, however, that I'd be more inclined to vote GOP. I think that anyone except Barack Obama would have much worse statistics than this.

Uhh, that's assuming the country is in the same situation as it is right now. A young, black, handsome, not George Bushee, is much more likable than an old, white, George Bush clone. Too many what-ifs to determine if statistics would be one way or the other with McCain because we don't know what the country would be like right now.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:34:11 PM
At 11/13/2009 6:16:17 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:

Take, for example, me. If I lived in the states, I would not be a Democrat but I would have voted for Obama. I would rate his performance 'worse than expected' because I'm appalled at his continuation of the Patriot Act, FISA, war in Afghanistan, opposition to gay marriage, etc.

You might disagree with his stance, but why would you be surprised or disappointed? Most people agree that the war in Afghanistan is necessary. To be fair, Obama's planning his next moves very carefully. He from the very beginning said that he was opposed to gay marriage; this is not a shock. I'm disappointed regarding FISA and that, but this might be necessary for security - who knows. I don't remember what his stance on FISA was before. If anything, I'd be surprised that health care hasn't been passed yet; however, he's trying.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 6:47:19 PM
At 11/13/2009 6:34:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Most people agree that the war in Afghanistan is necessary.

No.
http://online.wsj.com...

As the above article shows, Obama is doing bad in every critical issue facing the country, and he is doing equally bad for a new president.