Texas

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 11:43:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I love Texas.
I have lived in San Antonio for a short stint, but I hate how anti-American texans are.

"Texas first, American second."
give me a break, everytime I hea that I want to throw up.
I mean the moto that is more fitting is,
"Mexican first, American when ever I feel like it"
that seems to be more fitting.

I have been to Mexico.... I mean Texas, a ton of times and what too find everytime... Undocumented aliens like there are cockaroachs in New Orleans.

For a state that claims to be conservative seems extremely liberal when it come to immigration.
I think that the proud texans are just to big headed to see the truth, you are just an extention of Mexico. That's it.

Pick a side.
If you live I Texas your either Mexican or American, you choose.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 12:18:52 AM
At 11/13/2009 11:43:30 PM, comoncents wrote:
I love Texas.
I have lived in San Antonio for a short stint, but I hate how anti-American texans are.

I have been to Mexico.... I mean Texas, a ton of times and what too find everytime... Undocumented aliens like there are cockaroachs in New Orleans.

For a state that claims to be conservative seems extremely liberal when it come to immigration.
I think that the proud texans are just to big headed to see the truth, you are just an extention of Mexico. That's it.

Pick a side.

...what?

You're calling Texas Mexico because there are illegal immigrants presiding in Texas? You're basing that on your experiences in San Antonio, which uniquely has a large population of Mexican people. You can't use the demography of one city as the basis of an entire state.

Have you been to Mexico? Not Texas, but actual Mexico? I think you are doing injustice to large cultural differences. I would most definitely say that the culture of Texas more accurately reflects that of other parts of the continental US then Mexico.

And what makes you say Texans are anti-american? I find that to be a polar opposite of the Texan attitude, which is sickeningly patriotic. Of course, there is also an absurd patriotism towards the state as well as the nation. They actually pledge their allegiances to both the US and Texas in schools. This doesn't subtract from patriotism to the nation, though.

I find your whole post to be empty and overly-simplific to the extreme. How can a state claim itself conservative or liberal? Why can't one living in Texas be a citizen of both Mexico AND the United states, or of a different country altogether?

What is the point your even trying to make? You compare immigrants to cockroaches and call Texans arrogant for not shamefully admitting such, and calling the state of Texas an extension of Mexico as if that is a terrible thing, and implying that an influence of Mexican culture necessarily equates that Texas is "anti-american" in some way.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 12:46:00 AM
Sorry. You must be mexican.

I have been all over the state. They see themselves as texans before American.
Sickening.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 5:20:52 AM
At 11/14/2009 12:46:00 AM, comoncents wrote:
Sorry. You must be mexican.

lol.. That's great.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 5:55:29 AM
I love Texas.

...You do realize that there is a huge problem with anti-mexican feeling in Texas, bordering on racism?

Yes, old boy; illegal aliens DO enter this country. Who sets the immigration policies? Why, those people up in Washington, who want to give amnesties and invitations to the wetbacks. Our border patrol and Rangers are doing their best to keep them out, short of provoking a war with Mexico again; but they have their hands tied behind their backs by regulations from Washington.

We fought Mexico for our independence, back when we were just a collection of backwater frontier settlements, and WON. Mexico has no claim to us, and there is a snowball's chance in San Antonio that we will ever be dependent on them.

Those illegal immigrants do not make us part of Mexico, any more than the American immigrants in Canada make it part of the US.

Pick a side.

All hail King Comoncents, I suppose; seems like a harshly worded post all round...
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 5:56:13 AM
On this website, prominent debaters from Texas seem to be either for secession or against America. I am referencing users such as mongeese, mongoose, and wjm. However, if that is how they feel, then fine. They have their own choice in either favoring America over Texas or favoring secession over America. Just because you live in America does not mean you need to support it. In school, kids say the Pledge of Allegiance every day. However, there is a choice in either saying it with pride or simply standing there while everyone else speaks. Personally, I find America to be one of the greatest countries in the world. Although we have had a tremendously long line of terrible presidents and war, we still stand strong today.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 6:03:28 AM
At 11/14/2009 12:18:52 AM, Harlan wrote:

...what?

You're calling Texas Mexico because there are illegal immigrants presiding in Texas? You're basing that on your experiences in San Antonio, which uniquely has a large population of Mexican people. You can't use the demography of one city as the basis of an entire state.

Have you been to Mexico? Not Texas, but actual Mexico? I think you are doing injustice to large cultural differences. I would most definitely say that the culture of Texas more accurately reflects that of other parts of the continental US then Mexico.

And what makes you say Texans are anti-american? I find that to be a polar opposite of the Texan attitude, which is sickeningly patriotic. Of course, there is also an absurd patriotism towards the state as well as the nation. They actually pledge their allegiances to both the US and Texas in schools. This doesn't subtract from patriotism to the nation, though.

I find your whole post to be empty and overly-simplific to the extreme. How can a state claim itself conservative or liberal? Why can't one living in Texas be a citizen of both Mexico AND the United states, or of a different country altogether?

What is the point your even trying to make? You compare immigrants to cockroaches and call Texans arrogant for not shamefully admitting such, and calling the state of Texas an extension of Mexico as if that is a terrible thing, and implying that an influence of Mexican culture necessarily equates that Texas is "anti-american" in some way.

^^ I second what he said. Your post, comoncents, was unnecessarily derogatory, both of Texas and of the Mexicans. It also betrayed your ignorance of:
a) Texan history
b) Immigration policy
c) Texan socio/economic conditions
d) demographics

Try again when you know what you are talking about.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 8:20:04 AM
Texas!

Loyalty to America in general, yes.

Loyal to the Federal Government, no.

As I've said, great country, poor government. Which makes me PRO-secession.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 8:21:50 AM
At 11/14/2009 8:20:04 AM, mongeese wrote:
Texas!

And with that secession, you will encounter a poor government within several years and beg to be allowed back to the United States. Governments turn out poor in general. No point of escaping a poor government to create a smaller, poor government. A government in Texas would not last more than several years, to tell you the truth.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 8:55:55 AM
Oh, but comon, it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that Texas is easy-going on illegal immigrants. They are some of the most anti-immigrant people around. How the hell in your right mind can you blame Texas for allowing them? They'd shoot them dead if they could. Texas (and the rest of the border states) have the most illegals because they're next to the freaken border, not because they want them there. I mean didn't a Texan already refer to them as "wetbacks" somewhere in this thread? Disgusting.
President of DDO
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:18:20 AM
Texas....[is]extremely liberal when it come to immigration.

Wow? Really? Like Harlan said, you are basing your perception of Texas on ONE city, which has an extremely high concentration of Mexican and Latin-American immigrants (comparitivly). OF COURSE a city that is full of immigrants would have a more pro-imimgration leaning. But to say that Texas, a state in which Joe Horn shot 2 robbers robbing a neighbors house, is liberal on immigration is just ludicrous. To take your New Orleans example, does the fact that New Orleanes has a bug problem mean that the whole state is pro-bug and going to turn it into a bug farm?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:23:42 AM
At 11/14/2009 8:21:50 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/14/2009 8:20:04 AM, mongeese wrote:
Texas!

And with that secession, you will encounter a poor government within several years and beg to be allowed back to the United States. Governments turn out poor in general. No point of escaping a poor government to create a smaller, poor government. A government in Texas would not last more than several years, to tell you the truth.

That's what Europe said after the American Revolution.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:33:56 AM
I see myself as a Texan before being an American. I'd happily support (with money and military service) any movement that looks like it can succeed in this.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:35:51 AM
At 11/14/2009 9:33:56 AM, wjmelements wrote:
I see myself as a Texan before being an American. I'd happily support (with money and military service) any movement that looks like it can succeed in this.

So do it. I think you Texans are all talk. Apparently there is a huge support for this movement there, yet nothing is done. If your dedication to this endeavor is any indication of how a Texas government would fare, then I'm glad I don't live there.
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:40:24 AM
At 11/14/2009 9:35:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:

So do it. I think you Texans are all talk. Apparently there is a huge support for this movement there, yet nothing is done. If your dedication to this endeavor is any indication of how a Texas government would fare, then I'm glad I don't live there.

The huge support isn't huge enough. http://www.rasmussenreports.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:54:42 AM
Question: If there was a political movement and you convinced 75% of the state to want to secede, do you think it would be a viable option? I don't see why not.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:59:53 AM
At 11/14/2009 9:58:17 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Who would protect you (military)? How would you sustain your economy? Lulz.

We could have our own military. I don't see any problems with that. Our economy would be fine, I imagine. I see no reason for it to fail.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:01:25 AM
The thing is that the Union would not wage war on us to keep us in. It just doesn't make sense. Only Lincoln was base enough to do that. The Union isn't "dissolved" when one or even a few states leave.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:08:05 AM
Comoncents:

The Texas Independence movement is not a Mexican movement. The immigrants are largely apathetic. They don't want Texas in Mexico (no one does).

Most Texans in MY area abhor illegal immigration, though I am apathetic about it. We who support Texan Independence often want it (for one part) because we ourselves would have better border security than in the United States (I have read this in the spam emails promoting independence over and over again).

I don't see how you are associating illegal immigration with the Texas Independence movement.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:09:41 AM
You might be right about the economy, but your military would be minuscule and poor with extremely little technology. It would be among the weakest in the world, I'd imagine.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:21:26 AM
At 11/14/2009 10:09:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:
You might be right about the economy, but your military would be minuscule and poor with extremely little technology. It would be among the weakest in the world, I'd imagine.

I actually think Texas would stand a really good chance of being successful as their own country. I think the military would be the least of their problems. I already imagine Texas has the biggest National Guard in the country. Texas would only have to worry about defending against Mexico and maybe some minor border disputes with the US. Texas would be guarded by the US as Canada is guarded by the US, except Texas has even more defense. Texas would be covered from the Air and by Sea by the US - as you can't really get to Texas unless you go through American land or Mexican land. The Texas Navy would only have to protect the Gulf of Mexico, and they wouldn't even need a big navy - as the biggest and best Navy in the world is right next to them. So, in conclusion, military would not be a problem for Texas.

The economy would be pretty tough to keep stable though. Texas gets lots of aid from the Federal government, like every other state. The cost of maintaining a country is much more than that of maintaining a state. Texas would have to set up it's own stock market, get investors, etc. It would definitely be interesting to see what happens.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:22:45 AM
At 11/14/2009 10:09:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:

It certainly would not be the world's mightest power, but it would be bigger than what would seem. I mean, with the exception of the service academies, Texas A&M sends more recruits to the military than any other school in the nation. The military may start out small, but especially if it can pull all solders from Texas out of the US military, it would grow quickly.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:30:41 AM

That's a shame. You live in America, hence you should see yourself as both an American and a Texan. Personally, although I live in Florida, I will never see myself as a Floridian. My heart belongs to Pennsylvania, because that's where I grew up and the state where I feel like myself. (I wasn't even born in PA, I was born in Maryland) I can see where your viewpoint comes from, but I still think you should see yourself as an American instead of primarily a Texan. Claiming yourself as a Texan first suggests that you support regionalism and state patriotism. I thought you were against patriotism and nationalishm; which ironically, is what you support by claiming yourself a Texan first and foremost.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 10:34:15 AM
At 11/14/2009 10:30:41 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

That's a shame. You live in America, hence you should see yourself as both an American and a Texan. Personally, although I live in Florida, I will never see myself as a Floridian. My heart belongs to Pennsylvania, because that's where I grew up and the state where I feel like myself. (I wasn't even born in PA, I was born in Maryland) I can see where your viewpoint comes from, but I still think you should see yourself as an American instead of primarily a Texan. Claiming yourself as a Texan first suggests that you support regionalism and state patriotism. I thought you were against patriotism and nationalishm; which ironically, is what you support by claiming yourself a Texan first and foremost.

He's CON-enforced Patriotism, but PRO-patiotism in general.