Jump to topic:

Congresswomen for Gun Control Clueless

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:40:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette is being ridiculed by gun-rights advocates after the ardent supporter of a high-capacity magazine ban appeared to flub the facts on what a magazine actually is."

Supposedly she's the prime sponsor of the the high cap magazine ban in the US House, yet she doesn't seem to understand how guns work.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:41:42 PM
Not really surprised.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:54:41 PM
At 4/4/2013 9:53:23 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
Never knew exactly how a seatbelt worked.

But that doesn't keep me from knowing that they decrease accidents.

Exactly, Guns decrease violence in areas where they are legally owned. Or were you trying to make a smart@$$ bad comparison that would statistically make no sense the other way?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:58:48 PM

I guess you don't know how they work, they don't decrease accidents.
I hope you never have a hand in government ha

Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:03:48 PM
At 4/4/2013 9:54:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Exactly, Guns decrease violence in areas where they are legally owned. Or were you trying to make a smart@$$ bad comparison that would statistically make no sense the other way?

My point is that even someone who isn't clear about the function of a magazine can be aware of the scientific literature on the effects of gun control. For instance, I don't know how to shoot a gun, as some of my opponents on the subject have pointed out, but I don't need to. I just need to know the scientific, peer-reviewed studies.

Similarly, someone who does not know the inner functions of seatbelt can know the effects of a seatbelt mandate.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:05:12 PM
At 4/4/2013 9:58:48 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Poor wording on my part, they reduce accident fatalities. Obviously I must be ignorant rather than careless in phrasing, despite the fact that I am posting at ten at night with twenty-five tabs open and am copy-editing something else.

Clearly I am unfit for government!
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:09:18 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:05:12 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Poor wording on my part, they reduce accident fatalities. Obviously I must be ignorant rather than careless in phrasing, despite the fact that I am posting at ten at night with twenty-five tabs open and am copy-editing something else.

Just admit it was a doomed analogy from the beginning, you clearly know how seatbelts work. They aren't magic.
If a law maker is going to introduce legislation banning something, they ought at least have a basic understand of said object.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:11:53 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:03:48 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

My point is that even someone who isn't clear about the function of a magazine can be aware of the scientific literature on the effects of gun control. For instance, I don't know how to shoot a gun, as some of my opponents on the subject have pointed out, but I don't need to. I just need to know the scientific, peer-reviewed studies.

Similarly, someone who does not know the inner functions of seatbelt can know the effects of a seatbelt mandate.

Right, I can show you peer reviewed scientific studies that show the undeniable relationship between driving and automobile accidents, yet your basic understanding of how driving and automobiles work would lead you to believe that banning automobiles as to prevent car accidents isn't a good idea.

Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:26:32 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:09:18 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/4/2013 10:05:12 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Just admit it was a doomed analogy from the beginning, you clearly know how seatbelts work. They aren't magic.
If a law maker is going to introduce legislation banning something, they ought at least have a basic understand of said object.

Well, the part about sticking one end in the other is obvious, but I don't actually know how the release and latching mechanisms work. Saying I know how they work is saying that someone whose understanding of operating a gun is 'point and shoot' knows how to shoot.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:28:07 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:11:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Right, I can show you peer reviewed scientific studies that show the undeniable relationship between driving and automobile accidents, yet your basic understanding of how driving and automobiles work would lead you to believe that banning automobiles as to prevent car accidents isn't a good idea.

No, that would be my analysis of the cost and benefit, which would take into account economic studies, quality-of-life studies, environmental impact, etc.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:32:11 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:26:32 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
Well, the part about sticking one end in the other is obvious, but I don't actually know how the release and latching mechanisms work.

No but you know how they work, how they keep you from flying out the windshield when you hit something.
Same way you know a gun shoots bullets when you pull the trigger.
She lacks even that most basic understanding, that is that magazines for guns get reloaded with bullets and aren't used up every time they are shot.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:34:02 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:28:07 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
No, that would be my analysis of the cost and benefit, which would take into account economic studies, quality-of-life studies, environmental impact, etc.

So you'd do all that research before you'd reach the conclusion that we shouldn't ban automobiles due to their connection with car accident fatalities?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 11:32:22 PM
At 4/4/2013 10:28:07 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
At 4/4/2013 10:11:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I'm sorry, "quality of life study" is conceptually total bull****, and doesn't exist w/r/t gun control anyway, especially considering how psych studies mostly study college students who usually don't have guns. You can't read minds, even if you're a "scientist."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:57:57 AM

Most anti-gun literature comes from medical journals which are k own to provide flawed research in this area.

JJ Donahue is probably one of the few valid anti-gun researchers left.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 3:26:02 PM
At 4/5/2013 11:57:57 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Most anti-gun literature comes from medical journals which are k own to provide flawed research in this area.

And this allegation is based on what?

At 4/4/2013 11:32:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'm sorry, "quality of life study" is conceptually total bull****, and doesn't exist w/r/t gun control anyway, especially considering how psych studies mostly study college students who usually don't have guns. You can't read minds, even if you're a "scientist."

That's why I was talking about cars. And how is it conceptually bull?
rogerb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:02:30 PM

Where exactly do you get that idea from. The US has the least amount of gun control of any western democracy, but the highest murder rate, the highest accidental gun related death rate, the highest crime rates and highest % prison population
http://en.wikipedia.org...

JJ Donahue is probably one of the few valid anti-gun researchers left.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:59:46 PM
At 4/7/2013 3:02:30 PM, rogerb wrote:

Where exactly do you get that idea from. The US has the least amount of gun control of any western democracy, but the highest murder rate, the highest accidental gun related death rate, the highest crime rates and highest % prison population

Prison population has nothing to do with control.

I don't know how you're defining western democracies but you're wrong that the US has the highest murder rate, Mexico is a western democracy.