Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

North Korea's belligerence part of its plan?

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:28:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Perhaps North Korea is strategically using its repeated empty threats as a means of deflating the 'threat' factor of its operations to one day carry out a nuclear strike with surprise.
FolkCat1234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:32:08 AM
North Korea is in reality a puppet state of China. China knows that nuclear war would cause worldwide devastation. Also, the U.S. and China have a symbiotic economic relationship. They need us because we are their biggest customers, and we need them for cheap labor and manufacturing. However, there's always the possibility that you're right, and Kim is gonna wake up one day and push the big red button.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:35:08 AM
At 4/5/2013 11:32:08 AM, FolkCat1234 wrote:
North Korea is in reality a puppet state of China. China knows that nuclear war would cause worldwide devastation. Also, the U.S. and China have a symbiotic economic relationship. They need us because we are their biggest customers, and we need them for cheap labor and manufacturing. However, there's always the possibility that you're right, and Kim is gonna wake up one day and push the big red button.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume North Korea's priority is to act in China's interests.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:36:39 AM
At 4/5/2013 11:28:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Perhaps North Korea is strategically using its repeated empty threats as a means of deflating the 'threat' factor of its operations to one day carry out a nuclear strike with surprise.

They are essentially 'crying wolf' until nobody believes them.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 4:13:42 PM
It's possible it's part of the plan, but an actual surprise attack is fairly unlikely, as most analysts agree. North Korea can't win in any outbreak of war - it's a matter of whether they do damage in their collapse.

One recent theory is that the US has recently taken a tougher line against Pyongyang and not given concessions against bellicose rhetoric (as has happened before) . Unable to secure concessions through mere blustering, North Korea is upping the severity of it's rhetoric in a bid to regain those concession. That's one theory the newspapers have recently been touting.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 5:40:59 PM
At 4/5/2013 5:39:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
The North's belligerence IS it's plan.

But does the plan go deeper than mere belligerence.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:21:55 PM
At 4/5/2013 5:40:59 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/5/2013 5:39:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
The North's belligerence IS it's plan.

But does the plan go deeper than mere belligerence.

It's been the plan for sixty years, and the audience is really internal, he is trying to get respect internally. This is why Kim Jung-un recently changed the North Korean National Anthem, here it is:

I'm a little despot,
Short and stout,
Here is my army,
See how I pout,
When I get all steamed up,
Hear me shout,
Come on over and nuke me out!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:16:12 AM
At 4/5/2013 11:35:08 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to assume North Korea's priority is to act in China's interests.

That would be like saying that one shouldn't be that quick to assume that Japan, South Korea, or Europe's priority is to act in the US's interests, and that those regimes are not puppet states of the US.

Geopolitical reality is what it is. FC's comment was amazingly cogent on this issue compared to the other threads on the NK situation.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 12:15:55 PM
At 4/6/2013 11:16:12 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

That would be like saying that one shouldn't be that quick to assume that Japan, South Korea, or Europe's priority is to act in the US's interests, and that those regimes are not puppet states of the US.

Geopolitical reality is what it is. FC's comment was amazingly cogent on this issue compared to the other threads on the NK situation.

Japan, South Korea, and Europe are not puppet states of the US.

Your analogy is bogus.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 12:20:58 PM
The notion that North Korea is operating with orders from China is demonstrably false. China has been denouncing North Korea's actions of aggression to no prevail. I wouldn't say North Korea is merely a puppet, at least not any longer.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 1:29:57 PM
I think the greatest problem with North Korea is its isolationism in tandem with its rampant repression. I think if you were to take a poll of 10,000 North Koreans, asking them a litany of questions about the US and the West in general, I think we'd all be astonished at some of the bat sh*t insane things they actually believe.

So, like any good paranoid and schizophrenic State, it stews in an echo chamber and self-confirming beliefs. North Korea is an information black hole, so what it thinks it knows about the rest of the world is based on very simplistic notions and outmoded data.

Think of the Cold War. What we believed about the Soviets and what they thought about us was often extremely ridiculous. In the end BOTH nations were prepping the other towards a self-fulfilling prophecy that was based more on fear-mongering than actionable intelligence.

In part, it is North Korea's incredible ignorance about how the world works that makes them so dangerous. They're like a psych patient suffering from clinical paranoia. In their mind the West is this evil force bent on destroying them, when the reality is we just want them to stop mistreating their people and stop acting so f*cking crazy.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 1:30:10 PM
At 4/6/2013 12:15:55 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Your analogy is bogus.

From realistic point of view I think they are. They depended on the US for most of their national security. In other word their sovereignty can't be guarantee without US support, that make them de facto puppet of US.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 1:06:18 AM
At 4/6/2013 12:15:55 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Your analogy is bogus.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Please, don't make an argument. After all, your pronouncements don't need facts, reason, or logic.

If you don't think they are, then tell me why. Technically SK does not have an independent military - it is a US protectorate - and we wrote Japan's constitution. Europe does not have a credible military without taking ours into consideration. In the end, if it ever comes down to it, that is what matters.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?