Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

GA Student Organizes First Prom

DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 6:14:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Georgia Students Organize First-Ever Integrated Prom at Their High School

I saw this today and was shocked:


The school " Wilcox High " hosts separate proms for white and black students. Last year, a biracial student tried to attend the white prom and was turned away by police.

The students are being met with resistance; signs promoting the idea have been torn down.

Their school has agreed to allow an integrated prom, but will still hold the segregated proms, and they"re refusing to fund the event.


http://www.blackyouthproject.com...

I think this is sad and illegal. I wish there could be no such thing as racism.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 8:12:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 6:14:09 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:


I think this is sad and illegal. I wish there could be no such thing as racism.

Racism is definitely disturbing.

But, most libertarians would probably think that the school should have the right to discriminate.

I disagree, but still. Maybe you see this issue from the liberal point of view?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 8:12:17 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 6:14:09 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:


I think this is sad and illegal. I wish there could be no such thing as racism.

Racism is definitely disturbing.

But, most libertarians would probably think that the school should have the right to discriminate.

I disagree, but still. Maybe you see this issue from the liberal point of view?

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Subutai
Posts: 3,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:23:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I agree that public schools should not be able to discriminate. However, I believe that private schools do have that right. That being said, I agree with the full privatizion of the school system, so I agree to the right to discrimination. Again, that being said, I don't agree with discrimination for racial reasons (religious reasons make more sense).

I find this thing comical, though, because I thought the state would consider this discrimination.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:24:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:12:17 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 6:14:09 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:


I think this is sad and illegal. I wish there could be no such thing as racism.

Racism is definitely disturbing.

But, most libertarians would probably think that the school should have the right to discriminate.

I disagree, but still. Maybe you see this issue from the liberal point of view?

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

The dance is not an endeavour by the school itself, but by the student body. If there's anybody to blame for being racist, it would be the students.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:32:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 9:24:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:12:17 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 6:14:09 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:


I think this is sad and illegal. I wish there could be no such thing as racism.

Racism is definitely disturbing.

But, most libertarians would probably think that the school should have the right to discriminate.

I disagree, but still. Maybe you see this issue from the liberal point of view?

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

The dance is not an endeavour by the school itself, but by the student body. If there's anybody to blame for being racist, it would be the students.

Wrong.
http://www.kvue.com...

"The school holds one prom for white students and another for students of color."
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 9:50:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.

So would you force a gay bar owner to serve fred phelps or a black restaurant to serve a hostile member of the kkk?

I agree that it is unfair to punish minorities through the force of law, which is what went on in the south via the jim crow laws (supported by DEMOCRATS).
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:21:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.

Do u actually believe this or doing devil's advocate for progressivism?

No real evidence for this being true.

In fact, people with the greatest racist tendencies tend to live in highly diverse areas while those that do not hold racist tendencies tend to live in homogeneous areas. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:38:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 10:21:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.

Do u actually believe this or doing devil's advocate for progressivism?

I actually believe this. I'm not kidding around. So this is an area I disagree with libertarians.

No real evidence for this being true.

I guess.

In fact, people with the greatest racist tendencies tend to live in highly diverse areas while those that do not hold racist tendencies tend to live in homogeneous areas. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:39:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 9:50:26 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.

So would you force a gay bar owner to serve fred phelps

No.

or a black restaurant to serve a hostile member of the kkk?

Maybe. I think the law should prevent people from discriminating on the basis of race.

Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I think it's wrong, and I think the law should prevent that. That sounds awful, but it is true.

I agree that it is unfair to punish minorities through the force of law, which is what went on in the south via the jim crow laws (supported by DEMOCRATS).

Good point.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:41:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 9:50:26 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 4/5/2013 9:34:43 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/5/2013 8:30:30 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My view is that PUBLIC STATE RUN schools should not be allowed to discriminate; however, if there is a private school that wants to be all Christian, all Jew, all Black or all white, I see no problem with it.

So, you think that private institutions should have the right to discriminate. And most right wingers would agree.

My answer is ... why? Imagine the social frictions and hostilities that would build up. Racial tensions are unhealthy for any society, we should prevent, or at least reduce cases where this could happen.

It is also unfair for a society to economically or socially punish minorities.

So would you force a gay bar owner to serve fred phelps or a black restaurant to serve a hostile member of the kkk?

I agree that it is unfair to punish minorities through the force of law, which is what went on in the south via the jim crow laws (supported by DEMOCRATS).

Technically, commerce clause can't cover that under even the most liberal judge version of it.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:46:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ironically, the civil rights bills was only able to pass the Southern-ruled judiciary committee by pushing it through one of the economically-based committees, thus forcing them to use the commerce clause instead of 14th amendment equality clauses to justify the most controversial parts of the bill (e.g. regulating restaurant owners from segregating).
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:03:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would the school stop if everyone went to the integrated prom and no one went to their respective segregated proms?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 11:03:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/5/2013 11:03:01 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Would the school stop if everyone went to the integrated prom and no one went to their respective segregated proms?

Yes.