Jump to topic:

Self Dependency

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:45:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe that America should become more self dependent. I am not saying be North Korea in terms of imports, but I am saying that we should limit our imports to raw material.
1. Grow our own food, drill for our own oil
2. Manufacture our own vehicles and clothes and technology
3. Provide our own services
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:49:30 PM
At 4/6/2013 11:45:19 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I believe that America should become more self dependent. I am not saying be North Korea in terms of imports, but I am saying that we should limit our imports to raw material.
1. Grow our own food, drill for our own oil
2. Manufacture our own vehicles and clothes and technology
3. Provide our own services

You don't like paying bottom dollar for your electronics? Chmon it's comparative advantage ftw.

I can't imagine how much our electronics or clothes or other cheap crap would cost if we didn't farm it's manufacturing out to poorer countries. I mean shoot, even most everything manufactured here still uses cheaper components imported from foreign countries.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 10:09:16 PM
Being self-sufficient in everything means that we must stop doing things that we are good at to free up resources to do things that we are bad at. For example, North Carolina once had a lot of business manufacturing textiles. That translates to sewing underwear and the like. There was great opposition to allowing that business to move to Mexico, but it did. That caused temporary problems, but the state did a good job of moving to other industries, like pharmaceuticals and finance. Ultimately, it's poor economics to hold onto industries where you can't compete rather than to move to new ones.

Oddly, the U.S. could be self-sufficient in oil, but Administration policy is to try to obstruct it.