1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:40:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Margaret Thatcher FTW!
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:17:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Now just in: hell to be privatized.

I'm sorry, but bad form.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 8:49:36 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm sorry, but bad form.

Like you really give a fuck about Margret Thatcher.

I'll make 9/11 jokes all day. And unless you actually lost someone in the WTC, you're just being a self-righteous prick to be offended by it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:09:05 PM
At 4/8/2013 8:49:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/8/2013 5:45:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm sorry, but bad form.

Like you really give a fuck about Margret Thatcher.

I'll make 9/11 jokes all day. And unless you actually lost someone in the WTC, you're just being a self-righteous prick to be offended by it.

I actually lost a cousin in 9/11, and nearly lost an uncle, so yeah. Shut up. Really easy to joke about something that didn't do sh!t to your family isn't it?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:19:13 PM
If that's true, then I apologize.

I would hope that you would understand there is no reason for me to assume that I would be talking to someone who has an actual reason to be offended by it. I have much more reason to assume that most people will find it funny. And that's what I like to give people.

I maintain that the taking offense to things, especially jokes, is, the vast majority of the time, the actual problem.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:19:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I would hope that you would understand there is no reason for me to assume that I would be talking to someone who has an actual reason to be offended by it. I have much more reason to assume that most people will find it funny. And that's what I like to give people.

I maintain that the taking offense to things, especially jokes, is, the vast majority of the time, the actual problem.

Does it really matter if someone has a reason to take offense? If its funny its funny.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:35:06 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Does it really matter if someone has a reason to take offense? If its funny its funny.

Based on my personal sense of empathy, it does.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:43:55 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:35:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/8/2013 9:33:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Based on my personal sense of empathy, it does.

Well at least you have this sense of empathy.

I'm curious, however--how far does this idea of being personally connected to the misfortune of others extend? Just curious. Does a Jewish person have a reason to be offended at Holocaust joke? Does a homo/bisexual have a reason to be offended at the saturation of gay jokes? Does a black person have a reason to be offended at jokes about lynchings?

PS: FREEDO, I'm not trying to use rhetoric above, or trying to judge--after all, I'm under the impression that we are friendly to one another usually. I'm legit curious. I apologize if I may be coming off as self-righteous or what have you. It's just that recently (if you saw my Personal post) I ended up having an experience where after essentially years of laughing off homosexual jokes/finding it funny that people get offended, it eventually boiled over into me being deeply offended by a single joke--I'm just kind of been rethinking my whole philosophy of thinking it's a problem when people get offended by jokes.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:50:46 PM
There's no clear-cut way to layout. I'm admittedly acting out of emotional expression and not on some philosophical principle.

My basis being that, in general, I like to make people happy. And humor is my favorite way of doing that. And I find myself irritated when people are offended without actual personal reasons because it ruins an otherwise positive moment.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:52:50 PM
I did overreact a bit, sorry for that. I just don't like being reminded of my counsin too much. I still think sometimes what he would be like if he were still alive.

But, regardless, I do understand where your comin from, but I would say that you have to be careful about your jokes. And too soon does apply. I don't mind as much as I did the day of 9/11, but I'm not a big fan of joking about people's death until at least a couple years have gone by. Not really a fan of it then, but at least the grieving is usually over.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:57:05 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:52:50 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I did overreact a bit, sorry for that. I just don't like being reminded of my counsin too much. I still think sometimes what he would be like if he were still alive.

But, regardless, I do understand where your comin from, but I would say that you have to be careful about your jokes. And too soon does apply. I don't mind as much as I did the day of 9/11, but I'm not a big fan of joking about people's death until at least a couple years have gone by. Not really a fan of it then, but at least the grieving is usually over.

I did overreact too. However, it wasn't really the fact that it was about her death that bothered me--it's just that the "hell" part kind of made it seem like we were just assuming she was a bad person.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:01:45 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:50:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There's no clear-cut way to layout. I'm admittedly acting out of emotional expression and not on some philosophical principle.

My basis being that, in general, I like to make people happy. And humor is my favorite way of doing that. And I find myself irritated when people are offended without actual personal reasons because it ruins an otherwise positive moment.

I don't see how its different, its like saying something offensive when the person is out earshot, its offensive whether they hear it or not. If its both funny and offensive, I don't think you can have it both ways either be offensive and funny or neither.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:03:30 PM
At 4/8/2013 9:57:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Assuming she was a bad person.

She was a politician.