Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Why's the NRA against background checks?

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 12:52:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've heard again and again that the NRA exists to benefit the firearm manufacturers and dealers, yet they are against extending background checks.

If the NRA was really out to protect manufacturers and dealers they would be all for background checks. As that forces private sales to go through an FFL dealer, making the FFL dealer money as well as making new gun sales more competitive with private sales.

Anyone see a connection in which extending background checks could possibly hurt the interests of the gun companies?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:27:03 PM
At 4/10/2013 12:52:24 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Anyone see a connection in which extending background checks could possibly hurt the interests of the gun companies?

Maybe background checks would create a waiting period, which would hurt the safety of individual citizens. Or maybe background checks could prevent people from getting guns, even though those people have a relatively clean record.

I don't know. One idea that I support would be an instant-background check. So the buyer's record could be evaluated on the spot. No waiting period necessary; though a short waiting period is probably a good idea ... to prevent killing rampages when someone is hyped up.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:30:47 PM
I've heard again and again that the NRA exists to benefit the firearm manufacturers and dealers, yet they are against extending background checks.

If the NRA was really out to protect manufacturers and dealers they would be all for background checks. As that forces private sales to go through an FFL dealer, making the FFL dealer money as well as making new gun sales more competitive with private sales.

Ostensibly, the NRA is fighting for the rights of the individual gun owner more than even the manufacturers and dealers. The argument they make against some kinds of background checks is that anything that inhibits the purchase is an infringement of the right, and a fear of the manner the government will apply and store these background checks and/or information.

Of course, the NRA is actually just a mouthpiece for the crazy side of the Republican Party these days (if it was ever anything else).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:32:01 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:27:03 PM, Contra wrote:

Maybe background checks would create a waiting period, which would hurt the safety of individual citizens. Or maybe background checks could prevent people from getting guns, even though those people have a relatively clean record.

I don't know. One idea that I support would be an instant-background check. So the buyer's record could be evaluated on the spot. No waiting period necessary; though a short waiting period is probably a good idea ... to prevent killing rampages when someone is hyped up.

There are instant background checks in the US at gun dealers; takes something on the order of minutes (assuming you have sufficiently unique information that there isn't a risk flags).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:39:51 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:30:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Of course, the NRA is actually just a mouthpiece for the crazy side of the Republican Party these days (if it was ever anything else).

The gun issue is really one of the few that defies left/right politics, there are a lot of democrats out there who value their NRA rating and don't want to vote on gun restrictions. The NRA more speaks for a gun culture which, as you so elegantly pointed out, is considered crazy by those not part of said culture.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:43:45 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:32:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

There are instant background checks in the US at gun dealers; takes something on the order of minutes (assuming you have sufficiently unique information that there isn't a risk flags).

I was pretty sure that there was an instant background check in place, but I don't know often it is actually used.

Gun rights is not my strong area.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:47:31 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:39:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

The gun issue is really one of the few that defies left/right politics, there are a lot of democrats out there who value their NRA rating and don't want to vote on gun restrictions. The NRA more speaks for a gun culture which, as you so elegantly pointed out, is considered crazy by those not part of said culture.

I dunno: they've also come out in favor of Republican candidates over Democratic candidates with better records on gun rights often enough for me to ignore them as much as possible as hypocrites. If you're a single-issue organization, stick to the single issue!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:48:37 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:43:45 PM, Contra wrote:
At 4/10/2013 2:32:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I was pretty sure that there was an instant background check in place, but I don't know often it is actually used.

Gun rights is not my strong area.

It is, AFAIK, a dealer thing. So it's trivial to get around by just going to a gun show or doing a private sale (which is what the gun show sales are considered).
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:49:47 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:47:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/10/2013 2:39:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I dunno: they've also come out in favor of Republican candidates over Democratic candidates with better records on gun rights often enough for me to ignore them as much as possible as hypocrites. If you're a single-issue organization, stick to the single issue!

when have they done that?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:00:43 PM
Ted Cruz destroys universal background check proponents. Watch at about half way through, he explains.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:23:43 PM
At 4/10/2013 2:49:47 PM, lewis20 wrote:

when have they done that?

I remember it coming up most in the last few elections. Don't have a link on hand, though, so I will provisionally withdraw the accusation until I find one. If I find one; I'm just as likely to take a nap and forget about it, since it's taking more than 3 seconds to do so...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:33:53 PM
The number one source of all guns that find their way into the hands of criminals is straw buyers that this is targeted at.

NRA people love to point out that outlaws will get guns and illegal way. But the illegal way is through straw buyers and theft.

If you give your car to a friend, and the police stop him, the car still officially belongs to you unless you're officially transferred registration.

Why should we treat handguns, shotguns, and rifles differently?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:37:10 PM
And I simply cannot understand how the NRA and other nuts could be against a ballastic database for at least all new guns? You could trace some gang member on the street's gun to a secondary buyer to the original owner. If it was stolen from the owner, the secondary buyer would be charged.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:40:08 PM
At 4/10/2013 3:37:10 PM, Wnope wrote:
And I simply cannot understand how the NRA and other nuts could be against a ballastic database for at least all new guns? You could trace some gang member on the street's gun to a secondary buyer to the original owner. If it was stolen from the owner, the secondary buyer would be charged.

I'm pretty sure it's because they watched Red Dawn one too many times. When the Cubans and the Russians invade, they don't want them having a database of gun owners, donchaknow.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:46:23 PM
At 4/10/2013 3:00:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Ted Cruz destroys universal background check proponents. Watch at about half way through, he explains.

And exactly how many gun sales are done in this fashion? How about this: Only require people who sell or plan to sell over 3 firearms per year (except to a licensed gun dealer), or those selling firearms in a public marketplace to acquire a license, and require licensed gun dealers to perform background checks. I doubt any hunter would sell more than 3 firearms in a year to other people, however, this would cover just about anything that isn't a private sale. However, if it does turn out that the buyer was a felon or someone who had documented mental illness before the sale occurred, hold the unlicensed seller liable.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:53:04 PM
At 4/10/2013 3:33:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
The number one source of all guns that find their way into the hands of criminals is straw buyers that this is targeted at.

Right but that's already illegal, there's no reason the straw buyers would all of the sudden go to an FFL to sell someone else a gun and run a background check.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:55:03 PM

NRA people love to point out that outlaws will get guns and illegal way. But the illegal way is through straw buyers and theft.

If you give your car to a friend, and the police stop him, the car still officially belongs to you unless you're officially transferred registration.

Because people own dozens of guns, trade, sell inherit frequently and going through an FFL and the likes is a pain.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:09:08 PM
I will not be happy if this passes and I have to go to an FFL and pay 25 dollars every time I want to trade, buy or sell a gun with someone.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:17:59 PM

We should we treat knives, baseball bats, and crowbars any differently?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:18:23 PM
At 4/10/2013 4:17:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Why should we treat knives, baseball bats, and crowbars any differently?

Fix'd.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:30:06 PM

That, we should register and run a background check anytime anyone tries to buy a bat or hammer, after all, if it saves even one persons life, isn't it worth it?
That's the argument I keep hearing, if it saves even one persons life it's worth it.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:32:15 PM
At 4/10/2013 4:30:06 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That, we should register and run a background check anytime anyone tries to buy a bat or hammer, after all, if it saves even one persons life, isn't it worth it?
That's the argument I keep hearing, if it saves even one persons life it's worth it.

And a complete psych background check on car owners, since hurtling tons of metal kills more people than guns by many times.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:34:51 PM
At 4/10/2013 4:32:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/10/2013 4:30:06 PM, lewis20 wrote:

And a complete psych background check on car owners, since hurtling tons of metal kills more people than guns by many times.

Exactly, you know how lax they are about letting you get a license? There need to be much stricter controls on vehicle ownership and operating licenses, after all, if it saves just one persons life it's worth it.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:58:14 PM
I've come across one pretty good argument against background checks for people with mental health issues. Basically, if it's made clear that being diagnosed will lead to the government restricting the right to bear arms, the people who this is targeting, the stereotypical paranoid-schizophrenics who are stockpiling firearms, will avoid seeking treatment like the plague, because they're paranoid schizophrenics. So the results of the policy would be untreated lunatics with guns, an overall less desirable situation. For criminals I completely agree with background checks.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 5:48:52 PM

The Justice Department admits that a universal background check would require a national gun registry of every firearm in the United States, a measure so invasive even the ACLU admits that this poses massive privacy concerns and historically registrations lead to confiscation and confiscation is not only theft, it's what the Founders fought against in 1776.

Should we have a national book registry and confiscate politically dangerous books? Or do you selectively treat the 1st Amendment better than the 2nd.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 9:32:49 AM
At 4/10/2013 5:48:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The Justice Department admits that a universal background check would require a national gun registry of every firearm in the United States, a measure so invasive even the ACLU admits that this poses massive privacy concerns and historically registrations lead to confiscation and confiscation is not only theft, it's what the Founders fought against in 1776.

Should we have a national book registry and confiscate politically dangerous books? Or do you selectively treat the 1st Amendment better than the 2nd.

Do you see government agents going around confiscating our cars? I also checked the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013, the beach ground check bill that is up for vote today. It falls short of a universal check:

"(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee"s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

"(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

"(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;

"(B) a transfer made from a decedent"s estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;

"(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if--

"(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;

"(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and

"(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and

"(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--

"(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;

"(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition; or

"(iii) while hunting or trapping, if--

"(I) the activity is legal in all places where the unlicensed transferee possesses the firearm;

"(II) the temporary transfer of possession occurs during the designated hunting season; and

"(III) the unlicensed transferee holds any required license or permit.

And section 202, of which I put only the parts of concern to you here, the full text is available at http://www.govtrack.us...

"(b) It shall be unlawful for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed collector, or licensed dealer) to knowingly purchase, or attempt or conspire to purchase, any firearm in or otherwise affecting interstate or foreign commerce--

"(1) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed collector, or licensed dealer for, on behalf of, or at the request or demand of any other person, known or unknown; or

"(1) to be given as a bona fide gift to a recipient who provided no service or tangible thing of value to acquire the firearm, unless the person knows or has reasonable cause to believe such recipient is prohibited by Federal law from possessing, receiving, selling, shipping, transporting, transferring, or otherwise disposing of the firearm; or

"(2) to be given to a bona fide winner of an organized raffle, contest, or auction conducted in accordance with law and sponsored by a national, State, or local organization or association, unless the person knows or has reasonable cause to believe such recipient is prohibited by Federal law from possessing, purchasing, receiving, selling, shipping, transporting, transferring, or otherwise disposing of the firearm.

And of course, we have idiots like Rick Perry who think that the 'reality' is that this won't save a single life. However, look back at the last few shootings, and you'll find a few cases where the people had documented mental health issues prior to their firearm purchase, in which case this bill would help.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 11:12:22 AM
At 4/11/2013 9:32:49 AM, drhead wrote:
At 4/10/2013 5:48:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Do you see government agents going around confiscating our cars? I also checked the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013, the beach ground check bill that is up for vote today. It falls short of a universal check:

"(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee"s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

"(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

"(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;

"(B) a transfer made from a decedent"s estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;

"(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if--

"(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;

"(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and

"(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and

"(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--

"(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;

"(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition; or

"(iii) while hunting or trapping, if--

"(I) the activity is legal in all places where the unlicensed transferee possesses the firearm;

"(II) the temporary transfer of possession occurs during the designated hunting season; and

"(III) the unlicensed transferee holds any required license or permit.

And section 202, of which I put only the parts of concern to you here, the full text is available at http://www.govtrack.us...

"(b) It shall be unlawful for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed collector, or licensed dealer) to knowingly purchase, or attempt or conspire to purchase, any firearm in or otherwise affecting interstate or foreign commerce--

"(1) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed collector, or licensed dealer for, on behalf of, or at the request or demand of any other person, known or unknown; or

"(1) to be given as a bona fide gift to a recipient who provided no service or tangible thing of value to acquire the firearm, unless the person knows or has reasonable cause to believe such recipient is prohibited by Federal law from possessing, receiving, selling, shipping, transporting, transferring, or otherwise disposing of the firearm; or

"(2) to be given to a bona fide winner of an organized raffle, contest, or auction conducted in accordance with law and sponsored by a national, State, or local organization or association, unless the person knows or has reasonable cause to believe such recipient is prohibited by Federal law from possessing, purchasing, receiving, selling, shipping, transporting, transferring, or otherwise disposing of the firearm.

And of course, we have idiots like Rick Perry who think that the 'reality' is that this won't save a single life. However, look back at the last few shootings, and you'll find a few cases where the people had documented mental health issues prior to their firearm purchase, in which case this bill would help.

Didn't we just go over this, its not worth it just to saves single life. I don't want to pay 25 dollars and register through an ffl every time I want to buy sell or trade guns with someone. Its a major inconvenience and, even if it does save just one life, its not worth it. Just as a national background check when buying hammers might save one life, it doesn't mean we should do it.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 12:18:48 PM
Also, to clear it up, dealers selling guns at gun shows are required to do background checks and any dealer selling guns on the internet are also required to do background checks already.