Total Posts:95|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Elizabeth Warren pays here interns $0

darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 3:27:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Elizabeth Warren's speech on the minimum wage made headlines. She is the champion of raising the minimum wage.

However, even though she's concerned about worker exploitation, she apparently has no problem having others do work for her for no money.

http://networkedblogs.com...

Of course, if she wanted to she could've paid her interns $22 an hour, but she didn't. A bit hypocritical on her part.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 4:35:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do politicians customarily pay their interns?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 5:04:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 4:35:47 PM, thett3 wrote:
Do politicians customarily pay their interns?

Ain't no one got money for that.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:09:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 5:23:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've never been paid for an internship.

Probably never interned for a well off socialist have you? I was paid for my internship.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:15:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
ah look, yes another link to another conservative site about some "conspiracy" Normally interns are not paid, thus the whole internship....

I pray for the day when conservatives can once again come up with viable things to complain about. Next thing they will do is show a link to some website talking about there being only creamy peanut butter due to liberal plot to over throw the peanut market...........................

Please can't a brotha get a reasonable plot here these days?
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:49:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 7:15:37 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
ah look, yes another link to another conservative site about some "conspiracy" Normally interns are not paid, thus the whole internship....

I pray for the day when conservatives can once again come up with viable things to complain about. Next thing they will do is show a link to some website talking about there being only creamy peanut butter due to liberal plot to over throw the peanut market...........................

Please can't a brotha get a reasonable plot here these days?

Should Elizabeth Warren pay her interns? Or is addressing the actual issues too much to ask?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:52:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 7:49:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:15:37 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
ah look, yes another link to another conservative site about some "conspiracy" Normally interns are not paid, thus the whole internship....

I pray for the day when conservatives can once again come up with viable things to complain about. Next thing they will do is show a link to some website talking about there being only creamy peanut butter due to liberal plot to over throw the peanut market...........................

Please can't a brotha get a reasonable plot here these days?

Should Elizabeth Warren pay her interns? Or is addressing the actual issues too much to ask?

I guess it could be called an issue to those who think it is, which there isn't many who do it seems. But why is this such a big issue? To me it just seems like another conservative fishing trip, and deny all ya want but libertarians is a branch off of the conservative view.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:55:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 7:52:52 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:49:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:15:37 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
ah look, yes another link to another conservative site about some "conspiracy" Normally interns are not paid, thus the whole internship....

I pray for the day when conservatives can once again come up with viable things to complain about. Next thing they will do is show a link to some website talking about there being only creamy peanut butter due to liberal plot to over throw the peanut market...........................

Please can't a brotha get a reasonable plot here these days?

Should Elizabeth Warren pay her interns? Or is addressing the actual issues too much to ask?

I guess it could be called an issue to those who think it is, which there isn't many who do it seems. But why is this such a big issue? To me it just seems like another conservative fishing trip, and deny all ya want but libertarians is a branch off of the conservative view.

Nah, libertarian, statist, conservative and liberal are all 4 completely different ideologies.
But you reserve judgement on whether or not Elizabeth Warren should pay someone working for her a fair wage?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 7:55:38 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:52:52 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:49:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:15:37 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
ah look, yes another link to another conservative site about some "conspiracy" Normally interns are not paid, thus the whole internship....

I pray for the day when conservatives can once again come up with viable things to complain about. Next thing they will do is show a link to some website talking about there being only creamy peanut butter due to liberal plot to over throw the peanut market...........................

Please can't a brotha get a reasonable plot here these days?

Should Elizabeth Warren pay her interns? Or is addressing the actual issues too much to ask?

I guess it could be called an issue to those who think it is, which there isn't many who do it seems. But why is this such a big issue? To me it just seems like another conservative fishing trip, and deny all ya want but libertarians is a branch off of the conservative view.

Nah, libertarian, statist, conservative and liberal are all 4 completely different ideologies.
But you reserve judgement on whether or not Elizabeth Warren should pay someone working for her a fair wage?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right? same thing is said for internships, and btw even conservative senators have interns that are not paid, should we then go after them as well, why is it this person be put on the spot right now, knowing she is one of Obama's biggest supporters? Again you need to understand what this is, it's a fishing expedition, there is no real issue here, well for those who think rational that is...
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:11:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right?

You are exactly right, why shouldn't someone be able to volunteer to take a job at below minimum wage?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:12:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:11:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right?

You are exactly right, why shouldn't someone be able to volunteer to take a job at below minimum wage?

That made no sense what-so-ever...
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:19:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 7:09:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 5:23:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've never been paid for an internship.

Probably never interned for a well off socialist have you? I was paid for my internship.

Can you think of a bigger group of well-off socialists than Hollywood production companies?
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:24:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:12:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:11:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right?

You are exactly right, why shouldn't someone be able to volunteer to take a job at below minimum wage?

That made no sense what-so-ever...

The logic of it escapes you or?
You should be free to volunteer, free to intern, free to use volunteer or interns.
Yet the wage between 0 and 7.50 is off limits as it's exploiting the worker?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:24:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:19:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:09:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 5:23:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've never been paid for an internship.

Probably never interned for a well off socialist have you? I was paid for my internship.

Can you think of a bigger group of well-off socialists than Hollywood production companies?

Just Elizabeth Warren hah, who'd you intern for?>
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:28:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:11:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right?

You are exactly right, why shouldn't someone be able to volunteer to take a job at below minimum wage?

Because if there was no minimum wage, you would have to work for a low amount, and when someone else comes in saying they'll do the same job for less, you'll end up having to either work for even less or lose your job. It causes people to undersell themselves. Do you want to work in a sweatshop?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:29:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:24:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:19:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 4/12/2013 7:09:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 5:23:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
I've never been paid for an internship.

Probably never interned for a well off socialist have you? I was paid for my internship.

Can you think of a bigger group of well-off socialists than Hollywood production companies?

Just Elizabeth Warren hah, who'd you intern for?>

It was for certain producers and production companies (would prefer not to be too specific, but one just so happened to be thoroughly involved in Passion of the Christ). Granted, wouldn't call HIM a socialist...though technically if you like the whole "nazis were leftist" deal...
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:30:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:24:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:12:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:11:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:04:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:02:06 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
Nope i don't think she has to, given it is an internship, now when she hires them on then she would be paying them, again what is the issue? I think you guy's are far reaching on this one. it's not even a mole hill....

It's just whether or not you should pay someone who is doing work for you. Internship sounds like a capitalist cop out of the minimum wage laws.

yet corporations have been doing this for years, same as any other profession. are we then to look at Obama's volunteers for their hard work, should they not be paid for it? kinda defeats the purpose of volunteering right?

You are exactly right, why shouldn't someone be able to volunteer to take a job at below minimum wage?

That made no sense what-so-ever...

The logic of it escapes you or?
You should be free to volunteer, free to intern, free to use volunteer or interns.
Yet the wage between 0 and 7.50 is off limits as it's exploiting the worker?

How much do you make a year, hell let say even a month?

Also people volunteer to help, people intern for a couple of reasons, to get on the job training for their field of study, and to see if it would be a good fit for them, this doesn't have to be a paying job.

And if what you're saying is that min wage should be done away with, I find myself in awe of the ignorance of that. lets also do away with the cost of living increases to balance it out that way. Again there is nothing exploiting about interns or volunteers, because they get payment in other ways, and want to do it that way.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:36:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 8:30:01 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
How much do you make a year, hell let say even a month?

Also people volunteer to help, people intern for a couple of reasons, to get on the job training for their field of study, and to see if it would be a good fit for them, this doesn't have to be a paying job.

And if what you're saying is that min wage should be done away with, I find myself in awe of the ignorance of that. lets also do away with the cost of living increases to balance it out that way. Again there is nothing exploiting about interns or volunteers, because they get payment in other ways, and want to do it that way.

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:42:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 3:27:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Elizabeth Warren's speech on the minimum wage made headlines. She is the champion of raising the minimum wage.

However, even though she's concerned about worker exploitation, she apparently has no problem having others do work for her for no money.

http://networkedblogs.com...

Of course, if she wanted to she could've paid her interns $22 an hour, but she didn't. A bit hypocritical on her part.

her interns

INTERNS
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:47:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ima, it's ok to not pay employees if you use the term intern?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:18:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.

really, you don't even understand the meaning of internship, I wouldn't be crushed, you lack the far-sight to see that maybe they don't want to be paid, that the experiences they gain from their internship which is the whole point is enough for them.

My reasoning is sound, you claim that she is trying to ditch out of paying people by calling it an internship, what substance can be found there? that more assumption then anything else. something libertarians do well. they assume people want these so called rights, or want things to be done a certain way, so they demand it. and this doesn't have to do with her paying her interns or not, you just don't like the fact that there are people out there who want to do something for reasons other then money.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:35:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 9:18:34 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.

really, you don't even understand the meaning of internship, I wouldn't be crushed, you lack the far-sight to see that maybe they don't want to be paid, that the experiences they gain from their internship which is the whole point is enough for them.

My reasoning is sound, you claim that she is trying to ditch out of paying people by calling it an internship, what substance can be found there? that more assumption then anything else. something libertarians do well. they assume people want these so called rights, or want things to be done a certain way, so they demand it. and this doesn't have to do with her paying her interns or not, you just don't like the fact that there are people out there who want to do something for reasons other then money.

Okay, I'm listening. What's the difference between a laborer and a intern and why should one be paid and the other shouldn't? Why is it unfair when companies pay people people less than or at minimum wage, but okay when they are labelled as internships and paid even less (nothing)?

If you believe that internships should be paid, do you believe that what Elizabeth Warren did was wrong?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:42:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 9:35:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:18:34 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.

really, you don't even understand the meaning of internship, I wouldn't be crushed, you lack the far-sight to see that maybe they don't want to be paid, that the experiences they gain from their internship which is the whole point is enough for them.

My reasoning is sound, you claim that she is trying to ditch out of paying people by calling it an internship, what substance can be found there? that more assumption then anything else. something libertarians do well. they assume people want these so called rights, or want things to be done a certain way, so they demand it. and this doesn't have to do with her paying her interns or not, you just don't like the fact that there are people out there who want to do something for reasons other then money.

Okay, I'm listening. What's the difference between a laborer and a intern and why should one be paid and the other shouldn't? Why is it unfair when companies pay people people less than or at minimum wage, but okay when they are labelled as internships and paid even less (nothing)?

If you believe that internships should be paid, do you believe that what Elizabeth Warren did was wrong?

wow, interns join on of their own free will (you understand what that is right) they do so with no intent on getting paid, but for on the job experiences, or training. So they join an internship to get their foot in the door, normally with big corporations or politics, you don't find any interns are fast food places.

Someone who gets hired on as an employee does so with the intent to get paid, and should be paid a fair wage, and a fair wage should be balanced with the cost of living, as the cost of living goes up, so should the minimum wage.

or do you agree that people should work 2-3 minimum wage jobs and still not be able to get ahead?
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:57:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 9:42:12 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:35:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:18:34 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.

really, you don't even understand the meaning of internship, I wouldn't be crushed, you lack the far-sight to see that maybe they don't want to be paid, that the experiences they gain from their internship which is the whole point is enough for them.

My reasoning is sound, you claim that she is trying to ditch out of paying people by calling it an internship, what substance can be found there? that more assumption then anything else. something libertarians do well. they assume people want these so called rights, or want things to be done a certain way, so they demand it. and this doesn't have to do with her paying her interns or not, you just don't like the fact that there are people out there who want to do something for reasons other then money.

Okay, I'm listening. What's the difference between a laborer and a intern and why should one be paid and the other shouldn't? Why is it unfair when companies pay people people less than or at minimum wage, but okay when they are labelled as internships and paid even less (nothing)?

If you believe that internships should be paid, do you believe that what Elizabeth Warren did was wrong?

wow, interns join on of their own free will (you understand what that is right) they do so with no intent on getting paid, but for on the job experiences, or training. So they join an internship to get their foot in the door, normally with big corporations or politics, you don't find any interns are fast food places.

Really? Are you telling me people don't choose a job based on their own free will?

And are you also telling me that people don't do jobs for training or job experience? You know what else can create job experience, an actual job.

Someone who gets hired on as an employee does so with the intent to get paid, and should be paid a fair wage, and a fair wage should be balanced with the cost of living, as the cost of living goes up, so should the minimum wage.

This assumes that most people that work a minimum wage job are doing so because they need it for the cost of living. However, this is untrue, since people do it for the same reasons they do internships as well. Plus, many of them are either high school, or college students whose parents are supporting their cost of living.

Furthermore, what is considered the cost of living is highly subjective.

or do you agree that people should work 2-3 minimum wage jobs and still not be able to get ahead?

Loaded question. See above.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:59:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/12/2013 9:57:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:42:12 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:35:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:18:34 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

You really need to jump in and have a few debates, you'd be demolished because you don't have any reasoning behind your claims, it's all anecdotal and appeals to emotion.
If your time is your own you should be free to work for whatever wage you choose.

really, you don't even understand the meaning of internship, I wouldn't be crushed, you lack the far-sight to see that maybe they don't want to be paid, that the experiences they gain from their internship which is the whole point is enough for them.

My reasoning is sound, you claim that she is trying to ditch out of paying people by calling it an internship, what substance can be found there? that more assumption then anything else. something libertarians do well. they assume people want these so called rights, or want things to be done a certain way, so they demand it. and this doesn't have to do with her paying her interns or not, you just don't like the fact that there are people out there who want to do something for reasons other then money.

Okay, I'm listening. What's the difference between a laborer and a intern and why should one be paid and the other shouldn't? Why is it unfair when companies pay people people less than or at minimum wage, but okay when they are labelled as internships and paid even less (nothing)?

If you believe that internships should be paid, do you believe that what Elizabeth Warren did was wrong?

wow, interns join on of their own free will (you understand what that is right) they do so with no intent on getting paid, but for on the job experiences, or training. So they join an internship to get their foot in the door, normally with big corporations or politics, you don't find any interns are fast food places.

Really? Are you telling me people don't choose a job based on their own free will?

And are you also telling me that people don't do jobs for training or job experience? You know what else can create job experience, an actual job.

Someone who gets hired on as an employee does so with the intent to get paid, and should be paid a fair wage, and a fair wage should be balanced with the cost of living, as the cost of living goes up, so should the minimum wage.

This assumes that most people that work a minimum wage job are doing so because they need it for the cost of living. However, this is untrue, since people do it for the same reasons they do internships as well. Plus, many of them are either high school, or college students whose parents are supporting their cost of living.

Furthermore, what is considered the cost of living is highly subjective.

or do you agree that people should work 2-3 minimum wage jobs and still not be able to get ahead?

Loaded question. See above.

This is actually really interesting. I'm wondering how a liberal will justify working for $0 is ok, but $6.50 or something isn't
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 10:19:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't get it. There are virtually no unpaid internships offered for my majors. I always thought unpaid internships were bullsh!t.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.