Tattoos

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 10:59:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Does anyone have any?
Can a politician win any seat with a Tattoo? (visible)
Does anyone in the house have a Tattoo?

I have a cuban flag on my right arm, with the words

Free (on top)
Cuba (on the bottom)

a guy cooking on my left...

my little girls name on my right leg...

and a fleur de lys on the back of my neck...

anyone...?

(by the way, i do not want to be a politician, i would rather be a lawyer)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 11:08:50 PM
According to Wiki Answers, Shannon O'Brien (D-Mass) has a tattoo: http://wiki.answers.com...

I don't think its visible, though. Most tattoos on most people aren't, to be honest. Which makes be think a fair bit of politicians, mainly the ones who served in the army and the younger ones, say 30-50, probably have tattoos of some sort, but they just aren't visible. It isn't as if a candidate is strip searched in front of the green light committee.

I don't know why it would be a big issue, though. Tattoos are tattoos, and most people in society are smart enough to realize that it isn't a big issue if a politician has a tattoo, visible or not. Those that do have some issues.

I can see a problem with body-cover tattoos, though. There is such a thing as too far.

And a lawyer, eh? Just to spoil your chosen career path, I'll note that a good plurality of candidates for the Liberal Party of Canada are lawyers.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 11:18:45 PM
At 11/18/2009 11:08:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
According to Wiki Answers, Shannon O'Brien (D-Mass) has a tattoo: http://wiki.answers.com...

I don't think its visible, though. Most tattoos on most people aren't, to be honest. Which makes be think a fair bit of politicians, mainly the ones who served in the army and the younger ones, say 30-50, probably have tattoos of some sort, but they just aren't visible. It isn't as if a candidate is strip searched in front of the green light committee.

I don't know why it would be a big issue, though. Tattoos are tattoos, and most people in society are smart enough to realize that it isn't a big issue if a politician has a tattoo, visible or not. Those that do have some issues.

I can see a problem with body-cover tattoos, though. There is such a thing as too far.

And a lawyer, eh? Just to spoil your chosen career path, I'll note that a good plurality of candidates for the Liberal Party of Canada are lawyers.

Your funny... i like divorce law, though.
I am applying to Washington and Lee Law... as well as liberty uni. law, Appalachian School of Law, William and Mary (VA).
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2009 11:23:51 PM
At 11/18/2009 11:18:45 PM, comoncents wrote:
Your funny... i like divorce law, though.
I am applying to Washington and Lee Law... as well as liberty uni. law, Appalachian School of Law, William and Mary (VA).

Divorce law? Really? I would have figured you for a constitutional lawyer, an occupation which the last Liberal leader had. :D I'll stop.

That is cool though. Mind you, any of your tattoos won't matter in terms of image, since you'll be donning a suit and all. Same with any political career. Actually, in some circles, it would help if they showed.
andrewbmckay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 3:23:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I live in the UK and have a keen interest in Politics. I have a tattoo on my right arm, quite a big coloured dragon, covering most of my forearm. It's good to see that others don't see any restrictions with this.
LabourAndy
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 3:46:34 PM
At 11/18/2009 10:59:15 PM, comoncents wrote:
Does anyone have any?
Can a politician win any seat with a Tattoo? (visible)
Does anyone in the house have a Tattoo?

I have a cuban flag on my right arm, with the words

Free (on top)
Cuba (on the bottom)

a guy cooking on my left...

my little girls name on my right leg...

and a fleur de lys on the back of my neck...

anyone...?

(by the way, i do not want to be a politician, i would rather be a lawyer)

why wouldn't politicians be allowed to have tattoos?

I am sure it is possible to win with a tattoo visible but your chances would be hurt slightly seeing as people are so unaccepting and judgmental about tattoos.

I have a few tattoos as well but none as unique as yours, they might be more unique.
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 6:13:43 AM
In this book, http://www.manhattan-institute.org... , the author has an essay presenting his theory of the causal relationship between tattoos and criminality - the former causes the latter. It is hilarious. READ DAYRYMPLE!

I WONDER WHAT HE WOULD SAY ABOUT TATTOOS + LAWYERS + CRIMINALITY? I don't have a tattoo, am a lawyer, and have never committed a serious crime.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 9:28:44 AM
At 1/2/2010 6:13:43 AM, dogparktom wrote:
In this book, http://www.manhattan-institute.org... , the author has an essay presenting his theory of the causal relationship between tattoos and criminality - the former causes the latter. It is hilarious. READ DAYRYMPLE!

I WONDER WHAT HE WOULD SAY ABOUT TATTOOS + LAWYERS + CRIMINALITY? I don't have a tattoo, am a lawyer, and have never committed a serious crime.

That is funny.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 11:19:23 AM
You can have tattoos as a politician, but if you admit that you don't believe in an invisible man in the sky then you might as well forget about running.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 12:13:26 PM
At 1/2/2010 11:19:23 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
You can have tattoos as a politician, but if you admit that you don't believe in an invisible man in the sky then you might as well forget about running.

Yea, that's one thing that really bothers me about American politics. Nobody except Christians really have a chance of winning(not to mention things like this are used to attack politicians too such as Obama being muslim thus not suitable to be US president, etc.). Here in Canada not so much.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 2:00:19 PM
At 1/2/2010 12:13:26 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yea, that's one thing that really bothers me about American politics. Nobody except Christians really have a chance of winning(not to mention things like this are used to attack politicians too such as Obama being muslim thus not suitable to be US president, etc.). Here in Canada not so much.

That's only possible because Canada shed is religious nuts awhile ago, or at least most of them, minus the evangelicals that populate the Conservatives west of Manitoba.

But from the 1930's to the 1960's, your best chance at being in government was being a white, Christian male, Catholic or Protestant, depending on where you lived. Duplessis, Aberhart, Manning, Bennett - all iron-first, religious nutbars.
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 8:03:13 AM
At 1/2/2010 12:13:26 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/2/2010 11:19:23 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

Minneapolis elected a Muslim Congressman.

With the candidate who has identifiable religious beliefs, the voter has some assurance that the candidate's conduct hopefully will be constrained by a morality. However, with the atheist or nihilist, the voter has no such assurance. I have a friend, an accomplished philosopher and an atheist. He has stated that he would never vote for an admitted nihilist. I certainly also would not vote for an admitted anarchist.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:14:41 AM
At 1/4/2010 8:03:13 AM, dogparktom wrote:
Minneapolis elected a Muslim Congressman.

With the candidate who has identifiable religious beliefs, the voter has some assurance that the candidate's conduct hopefully will be constrained by a morality. However, with the atheist or nihilist, the voter has no such assurance. I have a friend, an accomplished philosopher and an atheist. He has stated that he would never vote for an admitted nihilist. I certainly also would not vote for an admitted anarchist.

I disagree with this reasoning. I know that's the mindset of the voters but it shouldn't be. Anyone can claim they're a Christian for political benefits, that doesn't make them one no guarantee to any degree that they will exhibit the morals of a Christian.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:18:34 AM
At 1/4/2010 10:14:41 AM, johngriswald wrote:

I disagree with this reasoning. I know that's the mindset of the voters but it shouldn't be. Anyone can claim they're a Christian for political benefits, that doesn't make them one no guarantee to any degree that they will exhibit the morals of a Christian.

10/10

People make crap up all the time to garner votes. It doesn't mean they actually believe it; they just do what gets them elected. That's how it works. I mean think of all of the fundamentalist conservative politicians who turned out to be gay. They were voted in probably specifically because they "weren't" gay by others who thought gays are bad and would never vote for one otherwise.
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:21:22 AM
Agreed, it's because we have ridiculously stupid voters who believe everything they hear. *waits for Cody to come in and convince me to become fascist*
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:25:41 AM

However, with the atheist or nihilist, the voter has no such assurance. I have a friend, an accomplished philosopher and an atheist. He has stated that he would never vote for an admitted nihilist. I certainly also would not vote for an admitted anarchist.

Plus, do you really want to go down the path of assuming that atheists lack fundamental morality or have no reasonable moral system? That's a slippery slope, my friend, and one which can easily be refuted as I'm sure you're aware.

Plus, being a moral nihilist doesn't mean that one rejects a moral system all together - It simply means that nothing is inherently right or wrong... and though as a society we put moral value on things, it's just a product of human creation as opposed to something a part of the objective world. Now I'm not saying that I agree with this, but rather clarifying that just because you don't think something can be inherently good or bad doesn't mean you don't think that certain things are bad (ie. murder). For instance, a nihilist would say that murder is neither right or wrong - it's just an objective thing - but it's 'wrong' because WE place a value on life. That doesn't mean the nihilist condones murder in any way or that a nihilist politician would ignore society's values. And I mean, every politician ignores a lot of people's values -- especially those that are practically universal.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:29:14 AM
At 1/4/2010 10:25:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:

And I mean, every politician ignores a lot of people's values -- especially those that are practically universal.

Edit: I omitted a sentence on accident. I was supposed to say that no politician can uphold everyone's values, but that a politician obviously wouldn't condone ignoring values that are practically universal (ie. they acknowledge that we consider stealing immoral so they'll uphold that value in their policies). But again, not all people agree on all values so it's not like a politician could please everyone no matter what their beliefs were.
President of DDO
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:00:58 PM
At 1/4/2010 10:25:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:

However, with the atheist or nihilist, the voter has no such assurance. I have a friend, an accomplished philosopher and an atheist. He has stated that he would never vote for an admitted nihilist. I certainly also would not vote for an admitted anarchist.

Plus, do you really want to go down the path of assuming that atheists lack fundamental morality or have no reasonable moral system? That's a slippery slope, my friend, and one which can easily be refuted as I'm sure you're aware.

Plus, being a moral nihilist doesn't mean that one rejects a moral system all together - It simply means that nothing is inherently right or wrong... and though as a society we put moral value on things, it's just a product of human creation as opposed to something a part of the objective world. Now I'm not saying that I agree with this, but rather clarifying that just because you don't think something can be inherently good or bad doesn't mean you don't think that certain things are bad (ie. murder). For instance, a nihilist would say that murder is neither right or wrong - it's just an objective thing - but it's 'wrong' because WE place a value on life. That doesn't mean the nihilist condones murder in any way or that a nihilist politician would ignore society's values. And I mean, every politician ignores a lot of people's values -- especially those that are practically universal.

I have a question. It relates to your best friend. It is this: Can you describe your best friend's morality, the moral norms that he or she accepts as personally binding, or his or her method of moral reasoning?

Tom