Jump to topic:

Controversial CISPA passed in Congress

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:19:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) passed the House of Representatives on Friday and will now head to the upper Senate for further deliberation. This has happened before, but opponents of the controversial CISPA state that it poses a major threat to Fourth Amendment rights. After two days of debate and discussion, the bill was passed 288-127 in favor. Seventeen members of the House abstained from voting.

http://www.examiner.com...

We must do everything we can to defeat this bill. If this bill passes, I sear I am going to close down all my Facebook, Google, Twitter, WordPress, DDO, and other Social Networking accounts. I may even have to close doubtingdave.com

Please call your Senators today to DEFEAT CISPAC!!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:26:21 PM
Sometimes I feel like Congress is just a bloated assembly of rich monkeys. I keep getting surprised by the extent to which they don't represent America. I should know better by now.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:27:55 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:22:35 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Do you really have anything to hide that's worth closing all your online accounts?

It's not that I don't have something to hide, it's the simple fact I don't want the government to simply be able to search my privacy without a warrant. Simple as tht.
The Great Wall of Fail

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:28:41 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:26:21 PM, 000ike wrote:
Sometimes I feel like Congress is just a bloated assembly of rich monkeys.

Indeed that is exactly what it is.

I keep getting surprised by the extent to which they don't represent America. I should know better by now.

Both the Democrats and Republicans are out of touch with mainstream Americans, though it appears the Republicans are more out of touch than the dems.
The Great Wall of Fail

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:30:28 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:27:55 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Do you really have anything to hide that's worth closing all your online accounts?

It's not that I don't have something to hide, it's the simple fact I don't want the government to simply be able to search my privacy without a warrant. Simple as tht.

I agree that what they're doing is criminal, but I highly doubt closing your accounts will help.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:31:42 PM
Sometimes I feel like Congress is just a bloated assembly of rich monkeys. I keep getting surprised by the extent to which they don't represent America. I should know better by now.

But it could ideally work because reform.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:31:48 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:30:28 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I agree that what they're doing is criminal, but I highly doubt closing your accounts will help.

Yea - especially cos everything is saved in a database.
The Great Wall of Fail

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:32:39 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:31:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

That and they just don't care about you.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:32:55 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:32:39 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/20/2013 9:31:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

That and they just don't care about you.

^ haven't they made that clear?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:33:31 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:31:42 PM, Noumena wrote:

Smart voters? Is that an option?
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:37:36 PM

What we need to do is the following:

1) Term limit congress
2) Cut congressional pay
3) Eliminate congressional benefits
4) Pass the "Read the Bills Act."
5) Pass the "One Subject at a Time Act."
6) Pass the "Federal Reserve Transparency Act."
7) Pass the "Free Competition in Currency Act"
8) Pass the "Enumerated Powers Act"
9) Pass the "The Write the Laws Act." and finally
10) Reform the tax code
The Great Wall of Fail

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:38:06 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:33:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Do you define option as a probably obtainable reality or as a transcendent, illusory goal for which we're always striving towards but will never realize?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:38:52 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:37:36 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

What we need to do is the following:

1) Term limit congress
2) Cut congressional pay
3) Eliminate congressional benefits
4) Pass the "Read the Bills Act."
5) Pass the "One Subject at a Time Act."
6) Pass the "Federal Reserve Transparency Act."
7) Pass the "Free Competition in Currency Act"
8) Pass the "Enumerated Powers Act"
9) Pass the "The Write the Laws Act." and finally
10) Reform the tax code

Ill get right on that.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:39:17 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:38:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

Do you define option as a probably obtainable reality or as a transcendent, illusory goal for which we're always striving towards but will never realize?

The latter.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:40:14 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:19:41 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) passed the House of Representatives on Friday and will now head to the upper Senate for further deliberation. This has happened before, but opponents of the controversial CISPA state that it poses a major threat to Fourth Amendment rights. After two days of debate and discussion, the bill was passed 288-127 in favor. Seventeen members of the House abstained from voting.

We must do everything we can to defeat this bill. If this bill passes, I sear I am going to close down all my Facebook, Google, Twitter, WordPress, DDO, and other Social Networking accounts. I may even have to close doubtingdave.com

You think that if you shut down your presence on the internet in a show of self-righteousness, depriving millions of fans of your intellectual bushwa (yet harming the government not in the least), that libertarians will finally matter? Pull the other one!
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:40:23 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:39:17 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/20/2013 9:38:06 PM, Noumena wrote:

The latter.

Than obviously no.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:41:43 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:40:14 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

You think that if you shut down your presence on the internet in a show of self-righteousness, depriving millions of fans of your intellectual bushwa (yet harming the government not in the least), that libertarians will finally matter? Pull the other one!

I'd rather do that then vote for good stuff to happen. Less work for the same gain (or rather lack thereof).
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:16:33 PM

^ beat me to it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:24:05 PM

Do you think you have a reasonable expectation of privacy with online social media?
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:30:12 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:24:05 PM, YYW wrote:

Do you think you have a reasonable expectation of privacy with online social media?

^ also that
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:13:21 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:24:05 PM, YYW wrote:

You should.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:53:20 AM

The proposed bill seems like a non-starter.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:55:25 AM

http://tehlug.org...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:03:54 AM
At 4/21/2013 9:55:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I wasn't condoning the invasion of privacy on those terms, I was merely asking if he has anything to hide that really worth closing all his accounts over. If he closes his accounts, the government wins just the same.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:08:30 AM
At 4/21/2013 10:03:54 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/21/2013 9:55:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I wasn't condoning the invasion of privacy on those terms, I was merely asking if he has anything to hide that really worth closing all his accounts over. If he closes his accounts, the government wins just the same.

* that is
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:13:42 AM
Well the fact that any person with rudimentary internet and hacking ability can find everything about you is a start.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:16:18 AM
At 4/21/2013 10:13:42 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Well the fact that any person with rudimentary internet and hacking ability can find everything about you is a start.

A start to what?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:21:33 AM
If one is against taxes, should they refuse to pay them and go to jail in martyrdom protest, or should they advocate their position using persuasion? What sounds more effective to you?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:21:09 PM

Why can't people, when making an article such as your link is, have a link to the actual text? It makes it seem people are hiding something or being misleading when you can't get it from the source.

It is one thing to analyze/warn/promote the purpose/consequences of legislation, but why should I believe you, if you won't tell me what the bill actually says verbatum?
My work here is, finally, done.