Jump to topic:

Do we vote passive aggressive.

HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2008 3:12:25 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I've talked about this before, but this phenomenon just fascinates me-- mainly because it is so apparent, yet overlooked. Do you think people from both sides of the aisle enlist the government to carry out rude and obnoxious behavior? Take Prop 8 here in California; I don't know a single religious right winger (and I know a "shed load," as Brian would say) who would feel it was his place to walk up to his gay neighbor's door and try to talk him out of getting married, much less forcibly prevent him from doing so. That type of behavior would be rightly seen as obnoxious, rude and uncalled for. But once in the privacy of a voting booth, many otherwise polite and considerate people simply cannot resist the opportunity to anonymously exert power over their fellow citizens.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2008 5:58:22 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
In people's head, they curse people of ethnic minorities. If they meet one, they strike up a conversation.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 9:22:08 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
At 11/12/2008 3:12:25 PM, HandsOff wrote:
... people simply cannot resist the opportunity to anonymously exert power over their fellow citizens.

I think people do it all the time. Voting for pro-drug war candidates exerts power over drug users and ethnic minorities. Lots of people who voted against Hillary couldn't stand the thought of a woman in charge, which is a big FU to women who hold positions of power. Lgbt laws are another obvious one. And building this wall next to Mexico.... Sheesh!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 9:41:15 PM
I've talked about this before, but this phenomenon just fascinates me-- mainly because it is so apparent, yet overlooked. Do you think people from both sides of the aisle enlist the government to carry out rude and obnoxious behavior? Take Prop 8 here in California; I don't know a single religious right winger (and I know a "shed load," as Brian would say) who would feel it was his place to walk up to his gay neighbor's door and try to talk him out of getting married, much less forcibly prevent him from doing so. That type of behavior would be rightly seen as obnoxious, rude and uncalled for. But once in the privacy of a voting booth, many otherwise polite and considerate people simply cannot resist the opportunity to anonymously exert power over their fellow citizens.

People vote for the major issues that they feel directly affect them, jobs, safety and freedom for the average working person, do you think gay marriage would be a higher priority than these things? I doubt it. To me this was mostly about people wanting to be left alone and tired of the government intrusion into their lives. There's always extremist and outlires but for the most part, people just want to be happy and not messed with.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 10:07:31 PM
At 12/7/2008 5:58:22 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
In people's head, they curse people of ethnic minorities. If they meet one, they strike up a conversation.

I have no idea if that happens or not, to a significant degree but it sure sounds stupid. The only reason to curse someone is because of their behavior, and behaviorally just about everyone is a minority in some fashion. It seems strange that you'd curse someone because they are a minority, when you are probably a minority.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 10:23:47 PM

On the issue of Gay marriage, I don't think to many people truly care about it, but a portion does, and that portion gets elected to office because they agree with higher priority issues that people do care about. Once in office they take a stab against gay marriage. People vote for what affects them, and I really don't care how the state defines marriage. If some gooney is against gay marriage, but otherwise for other issues I would personally consider them still, so long as their measures aren't actually acting against liberty and crossing the line between church and state. That would disqualify them as its one of the requirements of the job. I don't see that the state needs to formally recognize any personal aspect in our lives. I am more interested that it stay out of personal life, and totally fine with it being against state recognized marriage.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 10:41:38 PM
At 11/10/2016 9:22:08 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
... people simply cannot resist the opportunity to anonymously exert power over their fellow citizens.

I think people do it all the time. Voting for pro-drug war candidates exerts power over drug users and ethnic minorities. Lots of people who voted against Hillary couldn't stand the thought of a woman in charge, which is a big FU to women who hold positions of power. Lgbt laws are another obvious one. And building this wall next to Mexico.... Sheesh!

Drugs literally kill people and enable people to kill more people, and are flowing across our border. There is legitimate reason to be against hard drugs. LGBT laws are stupid, and no one that I know has proven that people vote for or against Hillary with significance because she's a female, however there are a fair amount of people who support her and rally more supporters purely for feminist goals.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 10:50:16 PM
At 11/10/2016 10:41:38 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Drugs literally kill people and enable people to kill more people, and are flowing across our border. There is legitimate reason to be against hard drugs. LGBT laws are stupid, and no one that I know has proven that people vote for or against Hillary with significance because she's a female, however there are a fair amount of people who support her and rally more supporters purely for feminist goals.

Actually, in the future on the T in LGBT laws, I would consider legislation that calls for mental evaluation as qualification to candidacy for sex altering surgery. I'm not against transgender operations but, there is an extremely high rate of suicide and I'm not sure that the decision for voluntary surgery on a perfectly healthy body should be made in questionable mental state. I use similar logic in gun regulations for the purpose of suicidal/high risk screening and prevention.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 12:39:50 AM
" Lots of people who voted against Hillary couldn't stand the thought of a woman in charge, which is a big FU to women who hold positions of power."

We don't know if this really happened but it could have. You are alone when you vote, and why you vote is your personal business.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 1:03:11 AM
"Take Prop 8 here in California; I don't know a single religious right winger (and I know a "shed load," as Brian would say) who would feel it was his place to walk up to his gay neighbor's door and try to talk him out of getting married, much less forcibly prevent him from doing so. That type of behavior would be rightly seen as obnoxious, rude and uncalled for. But once in the "
Does the right winger know his neighbor is gonna do a gay wedding?
Well you may not realize this but straight people tend to feel that if their neighbor is a gay and he is gonna marry another one, that's their business ,not hers.
Now, if the gay neighbor came over and asks the straight woman if what he is doing is good she will say no.
If asked if a person who is in favor of gay marriage should be the president ,she will also say no . This is what happened Tuesday, and the decent people of America said no.
There were alot of people who were not keen on Trump who thought "well at least he is not someone who may be a lesbian."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 2:39:24 AM
At 11/10/2016 9:41:15 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

People vote for the major issues that they feel directly affect them, jobs, safety and freedom for the average working person, do you think gay marriage would be a higher priority than these things? I doubt it. To me this was mostly about people wanting to be left alone and tired of the government intrusion into their lives. There's always extremist and outlires but for the most part, people just want to be happy and not messed with.

That's just your perspective. Every person has their own. If somebody is offended by gays, and many are, then they may just choose to vote straight ticket republican. Don't think that just because your position makes sense to you that you can overlay that over everybody else's thought processes.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 2:46:50 AM
At 11/10/2016 10:07:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I have no idea if that happens or not, to a significant degree but it sure sounds stupid. The only reason to curse someone is because of their behavior, and behaviorally just about everyone is a minority in some fashion. It seems strange that you'd curse someone because they are a minority, when you are probably a minority.

I work with people every day that hate dark skinned people. They are pissed they have to share their city, government benefits, and jobs with them. In their minds, there would be more of all these things if they didn't show up. A whole lot of people voted for trump for one main reason: keep the damned Mexicans out who are taking our jobs, keep the damned refugees out who are gonna come here and want money right away. Why do you think such an offensive idea like building a wall didn't sink trump in the election?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 3:06:44 AM

Drugs literally kill people

So does alcohol. Either you are a hypocrite because you don't want to bring back prohibition on alcohol, or a fool because you do.

and enable people to kill more people

Drug use is a victimless crime, the only way it isn't is when you consider driving. Again, We aren't prohibiting alcohol any more and that is as deadly as you can get. There are plenty of reasons why somebody can kill with a car. Lack of sleep, cell phone use... Automobiles kill because you made a decision to get behind 2 tons of steel and take it up to high speeds and take that risk. Ban cars if you are that concerned about auto deaths, drugs don't "enable" people to kill others.

and are flowing across our border

If they were legal we wouldn't have that problem would we. It a people like you who keep the drug trade viable by voting to prolong the war on drugs.

There is legitimate reason to be against hard drugs. LGBT laws are stupid, and no one that I know has proven that people vote for or against Hillary with significance because she's a female, however there are a fair amount of people who support her and rally more supporters purely for feminist goals.

There are PLENTY of people who are adamantly against any woman in charge. Consider yourself lucky that these people aren't around you.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 3:09:27 AM
At 11/11/2016 12:39:50 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
" Lots of people who voted against Hillary couldn't stand the thought of a woman in charge, which is a big FU to women who hold positions of power."

We don't know if this really happened but it could have. You are alone when you vote, and why you vote is your personal business.

Again, plenty of people consider women inferior. And you don't vote inferior people to lead the free world.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 4:35:31 AM
At 11/11/2016 3:06:44 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

So does alcohol. Either you are a hypocrite because you don't want to bring back prohibition on alcohol, or a fool because you do.

I like alcohol because its predictable and easy to manage. I don't recommend it to anyone, but I'm an open lover of alcohol, against high substance taxes, and an advocate for the legalization of Marijuana despite not smoking it a day in my life. I like freedom, and I think our government should not campaign against drugs, but research them to provide the people with the most accurate risk assessment possible so we can make our choices our truly free, not made in ignorance or pressure, but for ourselves.

Drug use is a victimless crime, the only way it isn't is when you consider driving. Again, We aren't prohibiting alcohol any more and that is as deadly as you can get. There are plenty of reasons why somebody can kill with a car. Lack of sleep, cell phone use... Automobiles kill because you made a decision to get behind 2 tons of steel and take it up to high speeds and take that risk. Ban cars if you are that concerned about auto deaths, drugs don't "enable" people to kill others.

I grown up with drug dealers my entire life. You are talking to a person who's personally known people who OD'd and died, people who've killed themselves. I had a meth head murder a stranger in his own home, after asking to come in for water, within a block of where I live. Another man who was high on whateverine kicked in the door of an apartment and raped two girls whom he didn't know, until one escaped within 4 blocks. I don't say these things lightly. I believe hard drugs have extremely negative reactions with significant enough portion of the population to outlaw them. I'm a very freedom loving American, and I think we should have as much freedom as possible. If someone wants to take the physiological and mental risks that's fine, I'll give my friend fair warning, advise to the best of my ability how to do it safely as possible, and let you do your thing judgement free but when they affect your mind to the point that someone else might get hurt or even killed just going about their life because some guy can't handle himself for sh!t, that's where I draw the line. That's not a text book researchy answer, its my life experience that most people are fine, and some flip their sh!t and hurt themselves, or worse, hurt someone else. That's what I'll go to my grave believing. I don't think it should be a war on drugs, because I think that smothers the realistic perspective people should have, and I don't think drug users are evil people that should have a gun pointed at them if they don't surrender to a standard that they belong in a prison cell, but I sure as hell don't think they should legal, not without a LOT of research necessary to make a legal system that would make sense.

If they were legal we wouldn't have that problem would we. It a people like you who keep the drug trade viable by voting to prolong the war on drugs.

I have no issue with the drug trade, nor drug dealers. Good people do good things. Bad people do bad things. The legality is irrelevant. I openly don't care about securing our borders with the present system. There is a legitimate argument however.

There is legitimate reason to be against hard drugs. LGBT laws are stupid, and no one that I know has proven that people vote for or against Hillary with significance because she's a female, however there are a fair amount of people who support her and rally more supporters purely for feminist goals.

There are PLENTY of people who are adamantly against any woman in charge. Consider yourself lucky that these people aren't around you.

I met one once. VERY disturbing. I'm not quick to judge, but he is a person who has to walk through life in the forgiveness of others. I know people who think women generally have their rolls to. Fortunately that one person was the only person in my life that I know would reject her because of her gender. Its not been proven with significance. You can guess. I can guess, but the amount of people voting for and against her vagina is unknown.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 4:48:36 AM
At 11/11/2016 2:46:50 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/10/2016 10:07:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I work with people every day that hate dark skinned people. They are pissed they have to share their city, government benefits, and jobs with them. In their minds, there would be more of all these things if they didn't show up. A whole lot of people voted for trump for one main reason: keep the damned Mexicans out who are taking our jobs, keep the damned refugees out who are gonna come here and want money right away. Why do you think such an offensive idea like building a wall didn't sink trump in the election?

I don't think its offensive. I think people just take offense because they can. I don't live in a Mexican border state though, so I don't really have an opinion. Its just another complication to me.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 5:07:33 AM
"Again, plenty of people consider women inferior. And you don't vote inferior people to lead the free world."
No, we men have been rejected by so many women, rejecting hillary is a chance to get even. If you girls will continue to reject us, we will continue to reject your candidates.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 12:20:52 PM
This is an 8 year old thread. I didn't even know this website was that old.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 6:27:47 PM
At 11/11/2016 12:20:52 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
This is an 8 year old thread. I didn't even know this website was that old.

I been here 9 years lol. Most people don't make it more than one or two then leave.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 11:16:14 PM
At 11/11/2016 4:35:31 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/11/2016 3:06:44 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I like alcohol because its predictable and easy to manage. I don't recommend it to anyone, but I'm an open lover of alcohol, against high substance taxes, and an advocate for the legalization of Marijuana despite not smoking it a day in my life. I like freedom, and I think our government should not campaign against drugs, but research them to provide the people with the most accurate risk assessment possible so we can make our choices our truly free, not made in ignorance or pressure, but for ourselves.

I don't think your first sentence would go over well at an AA meeting :p

I grown up with drug dealers my entire life. You are talking to a person who's personally known people who OD'd and died, people who've killed themselves. I had a meth head murder a stranger in his own home, after asking to come in for water, within a block of where I live. Another man who was high on whateverine kicked in the door of an apartment and raped two girls whom he didn't know, until one escaped within 4 blocks. I don't say these things lightly. I believe hard drugs have extremely negative reactions with significant enough portion of the population to outlaw them. I'm a very freedom loving American, and I think we should have as much freedom as possible. If someone wants to take the physiological and mental risks that's fine, I'll give my friend fair warning, advise to the best of my ability how to do it safely as possible, and let you do your thing judgement free but when they affect your mind to the point that someone else might get hurt or even killed just going about their life because some guy can't handle himself for sh!t, that's where I draw the line. That's not a text book researchy answer, its my life experience that most people are fine, and some flip their sh!t and hurt themselves, or worse, hurt someone else. That's what I'll go to my grave believing. I don't think it should be a war on drugs, because I think that smothers the realistic perspective people should have, and I don't think drug users are evil people that should have a gun pointed at them if they don't surrender to a standard that they belong in a prison cell, but I sure as hell don't think they should legal, not without a LOT of research necessary to make a legal system that would make sense.

Problem is, you can't sedate all the things you hate. "There ought to be a law" doesn't work in the case of addiction. Are you going to ban the lottery and casinos to stop gambling addiction? Are you going to ban pornography to stop sexual addiction? Are you going to ban twinkies to stop people with eating disorders? Drugs are illegal and guess what: nobody cares, any high schooler can get them pretty easily. It's harder to procure alcohol (not by much, but still) than it is drugs for young people. Addicts need help, not jail-time.

I have no issue with the drug trade, nor drug dealers. Good people do good things. Bad people do bad things. The legality is irrelevant. I openly don't care about securing our borders with the present system. There is a legitimate argument however.

I met one once. VERY disturbing. I'm not quick to judge, but he is a person who has to walk through life in the forgiveness of others. I know people who think women generally have their rolls to. Fortunately that one person was the only person in my life that I know would reject her because of her gender. Its not been proven with significance. You can guess. I can guess, but the amount of people voting for and against her vagina is unknown.

I've even met women that don't think women should be in office.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 11:18:29 PM
At 11/11/2016 5:07:33 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
"Again, plenty of people consider women inferior. And you don't vote inferior people to lead the free world."
No, we men have been rejected by so many women, rejecting hillary is a chance to get even. If you girls will continue to reject us, we will continue to reject your candidates.

Females are supposed to reject males. If they didn't, we would be ejaculating all over them every day.
Beliefs in a nutshell: