Jump to topic:

Stateless Law

jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:30:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am one who believes that law can exist in the absence of a state. Examples of such a legal system (polycentric law) can be seen in medieval Iceland, medieval Ireland, modern day Somalia, and the supposedly wild West which in fact had a lower per capita murder rate than the statist east.

There can be arguments for statist law, but oftentimes advocates totally ignore the success of stateless law.
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:33:25 PM
At 4/21/2013 5:32:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not sure if real jimtimmy or a fake.

I am as real as you want me to be.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:35:02 PM

its fake. The real jimtimmy would use his own account, and post this in the DDO forum, where he'd get more attention.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:36:14 PM
At 4/21/2013 5:35:02 PM, 000ike wrote:

its fake. The real jimtimmy would use his own account, and post this in the DDO forum, where he'd get more attention.

Or, maybe the real jimtimmy would not do that just to make you think that it is a fake jimtimmy...
APB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:39:29 PM
At 4/21/2013 5:30:10 PM, jimtimmy2 wrote:
I am one who believes that law can exist in the absence of a state. Examples of such a legal system (polycentric law) can be seen in medieval Iceland, medieval Ireland, modern day Somalia, and the supposedly wild West which in fact had a lower per capita murder rate than the statist east.

There can be arguments for statist law, but oftentimes advocates totally ignore the success of stateless law.

It's not enough to say "Law can exist without the State". There must be something that enforces the law in place of the State, even it's just "honour" or "fear of retribution". Humans are social animals, they need some incentive to be social. Also, before abolishing the State in favour of your alternative enforcement method, consider the pros and cons of each system and decide if it's really the outcome you want.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:46:06 AM

Jimtimmy decided that he did not like anarchy because he would not be able to effectively organize violence against minorities without a state. This is a fake account.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:14:12 AM
At 4/22/2013 5:46:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Jimtimmy decided that he did not like anarchy because he would not be able to effectively organize violence against minorities without a state. This is a fake account.

Widespread violence, genocide, and massive repression usually require a state, but in a free society, people would have the option to refuse service and employment to those they view as being the wrong race or whatever racism is about.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:57:09 AM
He's a fake.

I believe we should simply abolish the government at any levels higher than the most local. We still would have local governments that could perform all functions, but they simply wouldn't have any over-arching state or national government to be subject to. At such a scale, we would see the abolishment of environmental damage (they'd only have the authority to destroy their local community), and any rules deemed oppressive could be easily subverted by migration to another community.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:54:55 AM
At 4/22/2013 8:57:09 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
He's a fake.

I believe we should simply abolish the government at any levels higher than the most local. We still would have local governments that could perform all functions, but they simply wouldn't have any over-arching state or national government to be subject to. At such a scale, we would see the abolishment of environmental damage (they'd only have the authority to destroy their local community), and any rules deemed oppressive could be easily subverted by migration to another community.

What's the interior setup of the local government supposed to be like? Greek polis, AnCom, what?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 10:37:48 AM

Yes, because Somalia is working so well.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 11:04:54 AM
At 4/22/2013 5:46:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

That is not something that I have ever said. I can see that you are as into making up racist strawmen as ever.
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 11:05:20 AM
At 4/22/2013 10:37:48 AM, drhead wrote:

Yes, because Somalia is working so well.

Compared to its neighbors, yes it is.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 11:26:38 AM
At 4/22/2013 8:57:09 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
He's a fake.

May be medieval Europe will be your paradise, preferably in France. King with limited power, strong local power (baron, lord, bishop etc.)