Jump to topic:

Erasing memories

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 1:21:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not much of a political person, but this seemed the most fitting forum for this post.

I don't know how many of you remember this, but about a year ago, a kid shot up several of his classmates, killing a few, injuring others and putting one in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. In this video of his sentencing, near the end, he turns to the parents of the dead and tells them that the same hand he used to pull the trigger will be used to get off to the memory of killing their children. This is infuriating and it made me instantly wish that there was some way to erase this memory.

So, my question: would it be unjust to erase a convicted killer's particular memory in such a case, provided that there was a reliable means to do so?

To proponents of the death penalty: if people can be denied their very lives by demonstrating that they don't deserve it, then surely someone can be denied a particular memory by demonstrating that they likewise don't deserve it. It seems abundantly clear that telling the parents of your murdered victims that you will masturbate to the very memory of killing their children is a demonstration that you don't deserve that memory.

Please don't jump down my throat. I'm just sort of spit balling about the ethics of a knee-jerk reaction I had to something disgusting. This isn't the result of some long period of deliberation or anything, and some serious objections already come to mind. I'm just curious about what other people have to say.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 2:05:03 PM
At 4/22/2013 1:21:04 PM, Rusty wrote:
I'm not much of a political person, but this seemed the most fitting forum for this post.

I don't know how many of you remember this, but about a year ago, a kid shot up several of his classmates, killing a few, injuring others and putting one in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. In this video of his sentencing, near the end, he turns to the parents of the dead and tells them that the same hand he used to pull the trigger will be used to get off to the memory of killing their children. This is infuriating and it made me instantly wish that there was some way to erase this memory.
Definitely infuriating.

So, my question: would it be unjust to erase a convicted killer's particular memory in such a case, provided that there was a reliable means to do so?
Absolutely, it's called death.

To proponents of the death penalty: if people can be denied their very lives by demonstrating that they don't deserve it, then surely someone can be denied a particular memory by demonstrating that they likewise don't deserve it. It seems abundantly clear that telling the parents of your murdered victims that you will masturbate to the very memory of killing their children is a demonstration that you don't deserve that memory.
Sure, but the dead don't masturbate.

Please don't jump down my throat. I'm just sort of spit balling about the ethics of a knee-jerk reaction I had to something disgusting. This isn't the result of some long period of deliberation or anything, and some serious objections already come to mind. I'm just curious about what other people have to say.
It's so very simple: deny the criminal his life and he will be denied those memories PERMANENTLY.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 7:42:54 AM
At 4/22/2013 1:21:04 PM, Rusty wrote:

I believe the answer hinges upon the very definition of "unjust."
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 9:13:01 AM
That'd be worse than death. Think about it. You'd be in prison and not have a clue why.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:28:10 PM
At 4/23/2013 9:13:01 AM, drhead wrote:
That'd be worse than death. Think about it. You'd be in prison and not have a clue why.
It's even worse for those of us that have to pay for the prisoner. Why would you punish the rest of us in that way?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 1:46:35 PM
At 4/23/2013 1:28:10 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 4/23/2013 9:13:01 AM, drhead wrote:
It's even worse for those of us that have to pay for the prisoner. Why would you punish the rest of us in that way?

How about this: Replace death row with forced labor. They get to live, and they have to work to continue that status. It's better than execution, since taxpayers don't even have to pay for the execution. And if they are found innocent, they'll still be alive to be released, and we can compensate them for their false imprisonment.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian