"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 3:28:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's a "terrorist country?"

One that engages in terrorism? One that supports terrorism? One that harbors terrorist?

Or is this some deranged means of simply cataloging which countries you are afraid of?
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 3:29:57 PM
At 4/29/2013 3:28:42 PM, Wnope wrote:
What's a "terrorist country?"

One that engages in terrorism? One that supports terrorism? One that harbors terrorist?

Or is this some deranged means of simply cataloging which countries you are afraid of?

This. If it is the one that harbors terrorists, all countries are terrorist countries.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 3:30:20 PM
At 4/29/2013 3:08:53 PM, Aned wrote:
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

Oh, and a thousand dollars says that if you did this six months ago, Syria wouldn't even be on your list.

Your choices are much more representative of which countries american media prefers to demonize than any actual metric.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 3:49:59 PM
At 4/29/2013 3:30:20 PM, Wnope wrote:
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

Oh, and a thousand dollars says that if you did this six months ago, Syria wouldn't even be on your list.

Your choices are much more representative of which countries american media prefers to demonize than any actual metric.

No kidding how many terrorists come out of North Korea a year? How many people period come out of north Korea a year...
It looks more like a list of countries we aren't supposed to like. Where's Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan? The countries who harbored the terrorists involved in 911
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 3:57:34 PM
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

I think that to use the adjective "terrorist" to describe a country is a bit bold. A better way to say that would be to list "countries who harbor terrorists." But, one should draw a distinction between those countries whose governments actively promote terrorism (like Iran) and those countries who just have terrorists in them, but actively suppress terrorism (like Russia).
Tsar of DDO
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:26:46 PM
I would define 'Terrorist Country' as a country of a terrorist government/leadership. Which incurs the questions, who is a terrorist, and in whose eyes?

The only functioning one that fits the mark now that Afghanistan is down is the de facto Islamic Emirate of Somalia.

The countries listed, I would consider them 'sponsors of terrorism'.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:32:36 PM
Would targeted assassinations outside of war zones be considered terrorism?

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:37:07 PM
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

your list is balderdash. china and russia are our allies. north korea is just run by a crazy dictator. cuba is actually a nice place and america just never got over cuba's move to communism. venezuela is just having some power shifting issues. when does a civil war make syria a terrorist country? Iran is just a scamming business-like country.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:40:17 PM
At 4/29/2013 4:32:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That's an important question which raises a host of ethical concerns in foreign policy. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter.
Tsar of DDO
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:44:09 PM
At 4/29/2013 4:32:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I should think so, what do you think?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:45:36 PM
Lol wut? Russia and China are number 1 and 2? You do realize that being powerful doesn't automatically make countries bad, right?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:51:51 PM
This terrorism?

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 4:53:29 PM
At 4/29/2013 4:51:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
This terrorism?

Keep in mind it's Iran's take.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 2:52:56 PM
At 4/29/2013 5:00:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Russia and China are as much terrorist nations as the US.

Insomuch as neither Russia, nor China nor the US are sponsors or facilitators of terrorism, yes.
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 5:26:36 PM
At 5/1/2013 2:52:56 PM, YYW wrote:

Insomuch as neither Russia, nor China nor the US are sponsors or facilitators of terrorism, yes.

*cough*unitedstatesinthemiddleeast*cough*
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 5:32:54 PM

That's pretty harsh on Russia and China.

Also, I don't care what anyone says. Putin is fuckin' awesome. He could hands down kick the @ss out of Obama.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 5:42:28 PM
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

This is probably the worst f*cking list ever....

1) Russia and China have barely any terrorists at all, I cant even name a terrorist whose come out of China and Russia is only recently on the grid because of those two idiots who were behind the boston bombings.

2) How in the f*ck is North Korea a hotbed for terrorists? I dont think a single terrorist has come out of North Korea considering that NOBODY comes out of North Korea

3) Same with Cuba as China, I dont think a single terrorist has come out of Cuba. In fact the only country responsible for putting terrorists in Cuba, is ironically the United States! (via guantanamo)

4) You misspelled Syria

5) How in the f*ck can you claim this is a list of terrorist countries when ONLY ONE OF THEM IS EVEN FROM THE MIDDLE EAST???? Pakistan, Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, and a half dozen other countries in that region alone harbor more radical terrorists then most other countries on this list combined.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 6:40:31 PM
At 5/1/2013 5:42:28 PM, imabench wrote:
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

1) Russia and China have barely any terrorists at all, I cant even name a terrorist whose come out of China and Russia is only recently on the grid because of those two idiots who were behind the boston bombings.

2) How in the f*ck is North Korea a hotbed for terrorists? I dont think a single terrorist has come out of North Korea considering that NOBODY comes out of North Korea

3) Same with Cuba as China, I dont think a single terrorist has come out of Cuba. In fact the only country responsible for putting terrorists in Cuba, is ironically the United States! (via guantanamo)

4) You misspelled Syria

5) How in the f*ck can you claim this is a list of terrorist countries when ONLY ONE OF THEM IS EVEN FROM THE MIDDLE EAST???? Pakistan, Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, and a half dozen other countries in that region alone harbor more radical terrorists then most other countries on this list combined.

Well, I think that deserves a spot on the Weekly Stupid.
Tsar of DDO
PBG
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 6:34:33 AM
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

4) You misspelled Syria

North Korea aren't terrorists? We should debate that.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:02:16 AM
Your wrong here's the correct list.
1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Iraq
4.Pakistan
5. Afghanistan
6. Mali
7. Eygpt
8. China
9. North Korea
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:10:11 AM
At 4/29/2013 3:49:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

No kidding how many terrorists come out of North Korea a year? How many people period come out of north Korea a year...
It looks more like a list of countries we aren't supposed to like. Where's Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan? The countries who harbored the terrorists involved in 911

There are many countries around the world that would consider the US the world's leading terrorist country, and that US terrorism receives voluminous government sponsorship.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

The point being, agree with wnope and lewis20. This list has little to do with actual terrorism, and more to do with believing media propaganda on the issue.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:11:50 AM
At 5/5/2013 10:10:11 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 4/29/2013 3:49:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

There are many countries around the world that would consider the US the world's leading terrorist country, and that US terrorism receives voluminous government sponsorship.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

The point being, agree with wnope and lewis20. This list has little to do with actual terrorism, and more to do with believing media propaganda on the issue.

Just to hit this point home (from the wiki):

Professor William Odom, formerly President Reagan's NSA Director wrote:

As many critics have pointed, out, terrorism is not an enemy. It is a tactic. Because the United States itself has a long record of supporting terrorists and using terrorist tactics, the slogans of today's war on terrorism merely makes the United States look hypocritical to the rest of the world.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:25:29 AM
At 5/5/2013 8:02:16 AM, lannan13 wrote:
1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Iraq
4.Pakistan
5. Afghanistan
6. Mali
7. Eygpt
8. China
9. North Korea

Why North Korea and China? I'd also have Pakistan as numero uno

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 2:20:59 PM
My recommendations:

1- Russia
2- China
3- North Korea
4- Cuba
5- Venezuela
6- Siria
7- Iran

4) You misspelled Syria

Aren't Syria and Iran both in the Middle East???
Can I nominate this for your show? Critcizing a list with a list, when the most emphasized counter-point is false?
My work here is, finally, done.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 4:38:18 PM
1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Iraq
4.Pakistan
5. Afghanistan
6. Mali
7. Eygpt
8. China
9. North Korea

no matter how much you hate communism, take north korea and china off your list right fvcking now!
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 4:42:26 PM
At 5/5/2013 4:38:18 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
1. Syria
2. Iran
3. Iraq
4.Pakistan
5. Afghanistan
6. Mali
7. Eygpt
8. China
9. North Korea

no matter how much you hate communism, take north korea and china off your list right fvcking now!

DPRK is the worst of them all.