Libertarian Case 4 Expanded Background Checks

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:18:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.cato.org...

I'd love for cato to publish the "Libertarian case for communist-level government intervention" as well. The audacity for them to call it "Libertarian" is pretty humorous. But regardless of what incompetent policy Cato (or Stato) proposes, it will cease to be relevant as 3D printing becomes mainstream [http://www.theblaze.com...].
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:21:09 PM
What happens when everyone has a 3D printer and they can print weapons of mass destruction with it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:22:47 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:21:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What happens when everyone has a 3D printer and they can print weapons of mass destruction with it?

An explosively good time for all the family!

(ages 0-120, batteries sold separately)
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:27:57 PM
Article made a few good points, I didn't realize it was currently illegal to buy guns across state lines.
Overall, though its not a very good article.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:32:14 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:22:47 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

An explosively good time for all the family!

(ages 0-120, batteries sold separately)

My sides have left the building
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:37:40 PM
PSH I could make a 'WMD' with the stuff within arms reach of me.
And now I'm on a list somewhere.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:40:57 PM
Ted Cruz destroys gun control proposals, debates Manchin on the background check bill, and provides a real solution to gun violence.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:42:20 PM

We ban the sale of those little parts that 3D printing can't replicate?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:44:28 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:42:20 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Metal printers can replicate all of them, except the springs maybe?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 6:53:41 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:44:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Nah. Printers can print entire guns; I'm pretty sure that they can print springs.

After that, you're in the realm of banning software, which is guaranteed to be a failure.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 10:49:29 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:53:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Nah. Printers can print entire guns; I'm pretty sure that they can print springs.

After that, you're in the realm of banning software, which is guaranteed to be a failure.

Precisely why the human race is inevitably going to obliterate itself with 3D printers.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 10:51:33 PM
At 4/29/2013 10:49:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Precisely why the human race is inevitably going to obliterate itself with 3D printers.

Right. Because guns and explosives are so hard to make and obtain now.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 10:54:46 PM

OK Michio, how do 3D printers construct the enriched uranium necessary for WMDs?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Mustachero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 11:01:32 PM

You know that you can make a gun out of a bed spring, two tubes, and some machined parts right? Maybe thats a gross over simplification, but the point is that its not as hard as it would sound.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 11:05:18 PM
At 4/29/2013 10:54:46 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

OK Michio, how do 3D printers construct the enriched uranium necessary for WMDs?

Maybe we don't need uranium. Anti-matter sounds more likely. When technology has progressed to the point that we can put together specific atoms from scratch.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 11:28:59 PM
At 4/29/2013 11:05:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Maybe we don't need uranium. Anti-matter sounds more likely. When technology has progressed to the point that we can put together specific atoms from scratch.

You can't just assume that technology improves everything infinitely. Assuming that we can even build a machine that puts atoms together from scratch at some point, we still need to be able to do it cost-effectively enough to make it viable, especially if your argument holds true. We can make fossil fuels from scratch, for instance, right now. Does that mean we are now energy independent? No, because the price is too damned high!

When I watch Star Trek I don't think to myself that it's just a matter of time before this all becomes reality, I think to myself that most of these ideas will never become possible. Hand-phasers, transporters, warp-drive... I don't expect we'll have these things in 500 years or 500,000 years. I believe we will become capable of fantastic new advances, but the nature of these advances is beyond my ability to predict. It's like an ancient person trying to predict his technological future... perhaps he would imagine a crude flying device or a horse-less carriage, but to imagine a computer or the internet? Impossible. The future holds marvels that we can't predict now, and I don't think that includes the ability to sell low-priced 3D printers at Wal-Mart that can produce and contain anti-matter or enriched uranium!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 12:45:22 PM
At 4/29/2013 11:28:59 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 4/29/2013 11:05:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:

You can't just assume that technology improves everything infinitely. Assuming that we can even build a machine that puts atoms together from scratch at some point, we still need to be able to do it cost-effectively enough to make it viable, especially if your argument holds true. We can make fossil fuels from scratch, for instance, right now. Does that mean we are now energy independent? No, because the price is too damned high!

When I watch Star Trek I don't think to myself that it's just a matter of time before this all becomes reality, I think to myself that most of these ideas will never become possible. Hand-phasers, transporters, warp-drive... I don't expect we'll have these things in 500 years or 500,000 years. I believe we will become capable of fantastic new advances, but the nature of these advances is beyond my ability to predict. It's like an ancient person trying to predict his technological future... perhaps he would imagine a crude flying device or a horse-less carriage, but to imagine a computer or the internet? Impossible. The future holds marvels that we can't predict now, and I don't think that includes the ability to sell low-priced 3D printers at Wal-Mart that can produce and contain anti-matter or enriched uranium!

When you let a bananna sit it creates anti matter from a potassium isotope that decays. It is not beyond possibility to economically create anti matter.

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org...

As far as uranium enrichment, all one needs is the yellow cake cartridge and you will have plenty left over to power your evil underwater submarine lair and the nuke. :)
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 8:34:31 PM
At 4/29/2013 6:18:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I'd love for cato to publish the "Libertarian case for communist-level government intervention" as well. The audacity for them to call it "Libertarian" is pretty humorous. But regardless of what incompetent policy Cato (or Stato) proposes, it will cease to be relevant as 3D printing becomes mainstream [http://www.theblaze.com...].

Background checks are a good idea. We need to make sure that guns are not falling into the wrong hands.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 9:35:58 PM
You can't just assume that technology improves everything infinitely.

You might be right about that.

In-fact, it may be some how related to why I would pose a hypothetical situation in which technology destroys us all.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 11:25:27 PM
At 4/30/2013 9:35:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You can't just assume that technology improves everything infinitely.

You might be right about that.

In-fact, it may be some how related to why I would pose a hypothetical situation in which technology destroys us all.

I still think it is far more likely that stopping technological progress would ultimately be more dangerous. Think about it. Why do we make technological advances? To solve problems, of course. But new technologies create new problems. So what do we do? We create technologies to take care of those problems. And when those create problems, guess what we do? We make even MORE technologies to deal with those.

Now, you might ask: why continue if there will be more problems every time? Ever since we've discovered fire, we have opened a Pandora's box. If we ignore the problems, they will stay. However, technologies generally improve our lives, so why should we stop? I mean, if technology will destroy us inevitably, someone is going to cross that boundary some day. Why not just get it over with, so we can either affirm or deny that prediction?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Mustachero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 12:18:11 AM
At 4/29/2013 6:18:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

After reading that I think that they just misspelled liberal.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:11:54 PM

We'll see in 10 years.