Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Did Michelle say that Obama was born in Afric

1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:10:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a couple ideas, but I wanted to hear what others think.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 8:42:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's countries in Kenya!?!

At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
And, your point is?

Birthers only make a big deal about this because it would make Obama an illegal president as per section 1 of article 2 of the US Constitution. In the US your self classification has no merit in this regard.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Sui_Generis
Posts: 493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 9:42:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 8:42:12 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
There's countries in Kenya!?!

At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
And, your point is?

Birthers only make a big deal about this because it would make Obama an illegal president as per section 1 of article 2 of the US Constitution. In the US your self classification has no merit in this regard.

He's saying that he considers a country other than his birth country to be his home country, in the same way that michelle obama consideres a country other than obama's birth country to be his home country.

Thus Kenya could be Obama's home country, without being his birth country, thereby precluding arguments to the end that this serves as proof Obama is not eligible for president.
"Mundus vult decipi--the world wants to be deceived. The truth is too complex and frightening; the taste for the truth is an acquired taste that few acquire."
-Martin Buber, I and Thou
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 10:40:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 9:42:52 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 4/30/2013 8:42:12 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
There's countries in Kenya!?!

At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
And, your point is?

Birthers only make a big deal about this because it would make Obama an illegal president as per section 1 of article 2 of the US Constitution. In the US your self classification has no merit in this regard.

He's saying that he considers a country other than his birth country to be his home country, in the same way that michelle obama consideres a country other than obama's birth country to be his home country.

Thus Kenya could be Obama's home country, without being his birth country, thereby precluding arguments to the end that this serves as proof Obama is not eligible for president.
Again, I repeat, what someone considers to be his or her home country has no merit in this regard. Home country is independent of the subject's belief as is commonly understood to be the place of birth; but this is a clash of definitions.

The sentence "visited his home country in Kenya", leaves no doubt as to where is home country lies, especially when it explicitly tells that Obama's "home country" is not not his place of residence, the USA. Last time I checked, the USA isn't in Kenya.

Not that this slip of the tongue (or baiting, as I suspect) has any legal substance given that Obama has a valid birth certificate.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 12:53:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 10:40:32 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 4/30/2013 9:42:52 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 4/30/2013 8:42:12 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
There's countries in Kenya!?!

At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
And, your point is?

Birthers only make a big deal about this because it would make Obama an illegal president as per section 1 of article 2 of the US Constitution. In the US your self classification has no merit in this regard.

He's saying that he considers a country other than his birth country to be his home country, in the same way that michelle obama consideres a country other than obama's birth country to be his home country.

Thus Kenya could be Obama's home country, without being his birth country, thereby precluding arguments to the end that this serves as proof Obama is not eligible for president.
Again, I repeat, what someone considers to be his or her home country has no merit in this regard. Home country is independent of the subject's belief as is commonly understood to be the place of birth; but this is a clash of definitions.

Of course it's a clash of definitions, and one that you aren't proving is wrong. To my understanding, Obama was born in Hawaii, but was raised in Kenya. So, if he considers his home country to be Kenya, it has no merit against his legitimacy to the presidency.


The sentence "visited his home country in Kenya", leaves no doubt as to where is home country lies, especially when it explicitly tells that Obama's "home country" is not not his place of residence, the USA. Last time I checked, the USA isn't in Kenya.

Out of curiousity, were you born in what you call your hometown? I was born a few towns away, in a hospital, but I call the town where I grew up my hometown. If people thought about what "home X" is, they wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it means where they were born. However, it is understandable for one to initially think home X = born, but people need to think beyond reactions.

Not that this slip of the tongue (or baiting, as I suspect) has any legal substance given that Obama has a valid birth certificate.
My work here is, finally, done.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:49:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I did some google searching and home town isn't a phrase with a standard definition i.e. it's a free construction. Make what you will went you hear it.

Only Wiktionary has an entry for it and it isn't supported with a citation.
http://en.wiktionary.org...

At 4/30/2013 12:53:47 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/30/2013 10:40:32 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 4/30/2013 9:42:52 AM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 4/30/2013 8:42:12 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
There's countries in Kenya!?!

At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.
And, your point is?

Birthers only make a big deal about this because it would make Obama an illegal president as per section 1 of article 2 of the US Constitution. In the US your self classification has no merit in this regard.

He's saying that he considers a country other than his birth country to be his home country, in the same way that michelle obama consideres a country other than obama's birth country to be his home country.

Thus Kenya could be Obama's home country, without being his birth country, thereby precluding arguments to the end that this serves as proof Obama is not eligible for president.
Again, I repeat, what someone considers to be his or her home country has no merit in this regard. Home country is independent of the subject's belief as is commonly understood to be the place of birth; but this is a clash of definitions.

Of course it's a clash of definitions, and one that you aren't proving is wrong. To my understanding, Obama was born in Hawaii, but was raised in Kenya. So, if he considers his home country to be Kenya, it has no merit against his legitimacy to the presidency.
It's very brave to call a definition wrong, especially when your only justification is your "understanding". If you the take home country as place of birth definition, it would make a Obama a liar if he claimed anywhere other than America was his home country. Any other definition, "to my understanding", is equally standard but not one I would be familiar with. Homeland fits what you're thinking of.


The sentence "visited his home country in Kenya", leaves no doubt as to where is home country lies, especially when it explicitly tells that Obama's "home country" is not not his place of residence, the USA. Last time I checked, the USA isn't in Kenya.

Out of curiousity, were you born in what you call your hometown? I was born a few towns away, in a hospital, but I call the town where I grew up my hometown. If people thought about what "home X" is, they wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it means where they were born. However, it is understandable for one to initially think home X = born, but people need to think beyond reactions.
I only argue for the phrase 'home town', I can't make a case for the word 'hometown', home X or any other construction involving the morpheme 'home'.

I was born in Egypt. It's my home country but I don't identify with it at all. I'm not of any Egyptian ethnic group nor do I speak Egyptian Arabic. I haven't been to Egypt in 14 years.
Not that this slip of the tongue (or baiting, as I suspect) has any legal substance given that Obama has a valid birth certificate.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 2:08:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 1:49:21 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Of course it's a clash of definitions, and one that you aren't proving is wrong. To my understanding, Obama was born in Hawaii, but was raised in Kenya. So, if he considers his home country to be Kenya, it has no merit against his legitimacy to the presidency.
It's very brave to call a definition wrong, especially when your only justification is your "understanding". If you the take home country as place of birth definition, it would make a Obama a liar if he claimed anywhere other than America was his home country. Any other definition, "to my understanding", is equally standard but not one I would be familiar with. Homeland fits what you're thinking of.

My understanding comment was the factual history of Obama (I am not sure if he was raised in Kenya), my justification of the phrase was later, in addition to using your merit argument, that what he considers is home country is irrelevant because he was born in Hawaii, and that is all that matters for the claim to presidency.
My work here is, finally, done.
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 2:33:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/30/2013 8:22:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:20:23 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 4/30/2013 1:12:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"...and visited his home country in Kenya"

So no, she didn't say he was born in Arfica.

?
Kenya is in Africa.

I was born in Russia and grew up in Canada. I would classify Canada as my home country, not Russia.

According to the official narrative, he never lived in Kenya.

"Obama's parents were divorced in 1964. He attended kindergarten in 1966"1967 at Noelani Elementary School in Honolulu.[14][20] In 1967, his mother married Indonesian student Lolo Soetoro,[14] who was also attending the University of Hawaii, and the family moved to Jakarta, Indonesia,[21] where they remained until Obama was ten years old. Obama then returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents, Madelyn and Stanley Dunham, and has resided continuously in the United States since 1971." http://en.wikipedia.org...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...