Boy punished for bringing swiss army knife to

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 9:17:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
... a school camping trip.

Seriously, how fuckkingg stupid are these people? The boy should be commended for his foresight and preparedness, not threatened with expulsion. Each day I wonder if I really want to bring kids into thisridiculous world...whats the point of being a kid if you arent allowed to even have fun or do stuff that any normal kid should do

http://radio.foxnews.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 9:30:20 PM
Good on them! What if he opened a can of tuna or something? Tuna is incredibly malodorous.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 9:34:43 PM
My old fraternity just passed a safety code banning tree climbing, swimming, and bouldering while on camping trips. I mean, god forbid someone come into contact with nature while camping. That would just be unacceptable. It's much safer to alternate between sitting in a tent and sitting around a fire cooking those 'natural hotdogs.'
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 9:40:04 PM
At 5/1/2013 9:34:43 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
My old fraternity just passed a safety code banning tree climbing, swimming, and bouldering while on camping trips. I mean, god forbid someone come into contact with nature while camping. That would just be unacceptable. It's much safer to alternate between sitting in a tent and sitting around a fire cooking those 'natural hotdogs.'

What kind of a fool would support a code like this?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:07:22 PM
At 5/1/2013 9:40:04 PM, thett3 wrote:

Fools with lawyers.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:09:49 PM
At 5/1/2013 10:07:22 PM, Wnope wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

Things like that make me hate society even more... sigh
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:10:55 PM
At 5/1/2013 10:09:49 PM, thett3 wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

I used to be utterly against all suits of that sort until I went to a playground in cuba and hot hit with an opening bus door.

Granted, not sure what my standing would be since the stitches were free.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:16:02 PM
At 5/1/2013 10:10:55 PM, Wnope wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

I used to be utterly against all suits of that sort until I went to a playground in cuba and hot hit with an opening bus door.

That's something entirely different, I think. What I think is absurd is the idea that someone an trespass on someone's property, climb a tree, and fall out, then sue the property owner even though their injury was entirely a result of their own decisions. Or that someone could go for a hike on a nature trip, climb a small boulder, fall and hit their head and then sue the group that they went with. The idea that these people have defacto legal responsibility for another person's health is ridiculous, especially when said person is a perfectly capable adult.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:20:44 PM
At 5/1/2013 10:16:02 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 5/1/2013 10:10:55 PM, Wnope wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

That's something entirely different, I think. What I think is absurd is the idea that someone an trespass on someone's property, climb a tree, and fall out, then sue the property owner even though their injury was entirely a result of their own decisions. Or that someone could go for a hike on a nature trip, climb a small boulder, fall and hit their head and then sue the group that they went with. The idea that these people have defacto legal responsibility for another person's health is ridiculous, especially when said person is a perfectly capable adult.

I was semi-joking.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 1:30:48 AM

Fools with lawyers.

As a general rule, it's a fairly safe bet that wherever there is a stupid rule or policy, it is likely that a lawsuit preceded it. Liability... it is the best of legal principles, it is the worst of legal principles -and every time it winds up fucking over everyone else.
Tsar of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 1:55:29 AM
At 5/2/2013 1:30:48 AM, YYW wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

As a general rule, it's a fairly safe bet that wherever there is a stupid rule or policy, it is likely that a lawsuit preceded it. Liability... it is the best of legal principles, it is the worst of legal principles -and every time it winds up fucking over everyone else.

Tort reform
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 2:34:24 AM
At 5/2/2013 1:55:29 AM, DanT wrote:
At 5/2/2013 1:30:48 AM, YYW wrote:

Fools with lawyers.

Tort reform

lol

http://commons.wikimedia.org...

What do you suggest, DanT? That's a very complicated topic. I also assume you're referring to tort reform within the US legal system.
Tsar of DDO
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 2:48:28 AM
That's the tiniest Swiss army knife I've ever seen. I say this with no sarcasm or hyperbole; a butter knife is more threatening than that thing the kid is holding.

And she punished him by putting him in 24 hour isolation? That's a particularly cruel and unusual punishment for bringing something that really ought to be mandatory on a camping trip. I'd press charges.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 3:59:02 AM
I don't believe that there is anything to fuss about over an incident like this. It's not incredibly brainless for a school to punish a 10 year old for bringing a knife to a school camp, it's good that the school ties itself into knots over incidents like this. It prevents us from taking it out on them when something does go wrong. So why care?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 4:04:10 AM
If this was a private school I would be perfectly fine with this. Consistency is a good thing.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 4:23:05 AM
At 5/1/2013 9:17:35 PM, thett3 wrote:

Seriously, how fuckkingg stupid are these people? The boy should be commended for his foresight and preparedness, not threatened with expulsion. Each day I wonder if I really want to bring kids into thisridiculous world...whats the point of being a kid if you arent allowed to even have fun or do stuff that any normal kid should do

Was ist das? Are you complaining, trying to disrupt our society perhaps? Show me your papers!

From the picture, the kid looks like a terrorist to me, and we can't be soft on terrorism...the school may have saved countless lives.

We have to do what we can do to fight terrorism folks. We may not be able to get assault rifles out of the hands of mentally unstable people in Sandy Hook, but at least we can get teeny weenie Swiss army knives out of the hands of little kids, the second amendment doesn't stop us from doing that much. They probably should have water boarded him while he was in isolation, he may not have acted alone you know, and I think that's allowed under the Patriot Act anyway. This kid and his ungrateful father should just be glad he wasn't on the wrong end of a drone strike.

The war on terrorism is a WAR folks, and the American people are the enemy, it's un-American if we don't all accept that. If we go around thinking we are have the freedom and liberty to just live our lives then the terrorists win, and we can't let that happen.

I'd suggest all you insurgents just quit your subversive and un-American bellyaching before a drone disappears Debate.org.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 4:44:45 AM

They overreacted but at the same time, you have to see it from their point of view. Some kid gets hurt, they have a lawsuit on their hands. Especially if they knew about it beforehand
#BlackLivesMatter
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 5:23:15 AM

The politics of fear are boundless. That's why a hundred or so law enforcers can "lock down" an entire city and threateningly interrogate civilians in their homes because a criminal is on the loose.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 6:25:24 AM

Yup, the nanny state has gone way out of control.

Zero Tolerance = Zero Intellegence
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 8:41:36 AM

Wow, I can remember a time when every truck in the parking lot at school had a deer rifle hanging in the back glass and a box of shells behind the seat. And I carried the same Case pocket knife I carry today with me to school. And that was in the 90's, not so long ago

Way to go progress, we are so much better now. Now we have metal detectors and armed security at school. Hmmmm......wonder what changed. I can remember begging a cop to take me to jail when I got drinking, that would be better than going home to face daddy. Lol, my old man reached through the window and literally dragged me through it. I remember the cop saying " hey Joe, we still going fishing Saturday?"

But I doubt that has anything to do with it.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 8:46:41 AM

That is pretty bad. Kids should be allowed to bring knives the school camping trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 8:51:04 AM
At 5/2/2013 5:23:15 AM, 000ike wrote:

The politics of fear are boundless. That's why a hundred or so law enforcers can "lock down" an entire city and threateningly interrogate civilians in their homes because a criminal is on the loose.

Lol, that's cause it was in a suburb of Boston. Around here the citizens would be out looking for this guy, armed better than the police.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 9:07:44 AM

Didn't look Swiss it looked like a regular pocket knife
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 9:38:06 AM
At 5/2/2013 9:07:44 AM, DanT wrote:

Didn't look Swiss it looked like a regular pocket knife

I think it is a Swiss Army, classic. Like this one.

http://www.swissarmy.com...

If it is a classic then it is 2 1/4 inches long. The short blade on my ole Case is that long. I could literally hurt more people with a stick I found on the trail than a classic swiss army knife. Hell, I could probably kill at least three people with a bic standard pen you would find in a school faster than I could with that tiny thing.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 10:14:24 PM

I would argue differently. A kid who brought a Swiss army knife with him may potentially expose other students to dangers thereby holding school liable for the injury. To minimize the potential harm, school was justified in its compulsion. So no, these people were rather cautious people.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 11:31:37 PM
At 5/2/2013 10:14:24 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

I would argue differently. A kid who brought a Swiss army knife with him may potentially expose other students to dangers thereby holding school liable for the injury. To minimize the potential harm, school was justified in its compulsion. So no, these people were rather cautious people.

Considering the boy was isolated for 24 hours, a punishment so far off base that the school should be sued no, they were being bathshitt insane not cautious. And look at the picture, literally a rock is a weapon about 20x more dangerous than that knife. It's a tool.

How I long for the days when children were actually allowed to learn and grow instead of being stifled by bull like this
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 11:34:46 PM
I seriously hate our society sometimes. If people are such bad parents that their kids are too stupid to understand how to use a tiny knife or too idiotic to use it without harming themselves they have no right to sue the school simply because they suck at parenting
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 11:51:16 PM
At 5/2/2013 11:31:37 PM, thett3 wrote:

Considering the boy was isolated for 24 hours, a punishment so far off base that the school should be sued no, they were being bathshitt insane not cautious. And look at the picture, literally a rock is a weapon about 20x more dangerous than that knife. It's a tool.

How I long for the days when children were actually allowed to learn and grow instead of being stifled by bull like this

Rules and laws often tend to be more or less arbitrary and only followed based on covering your own @ss and incentives.

Once you realize the bs of the system, just relax and let things go. Can't fight the system. Best thing to do is either not let punishment bother you or just don't get caught.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:18:33 AM
At 5/2/2013 11:31:37 PM, thett3 wrote:

Let's use an analogy. There are certain items that are prohibited from carrying on to the airplane. For example: Knives - Except for plastic or round bladed butter knives, Razor, and Ice Axes etc. (http://www.tsa.gov...). The underlying reason in both cases is the same: Those items MAY put people in a harmful way. Therefore, to Minimize the potential risk, people should not be allowed to bring those items with them.

Besides, I was wondering if school specifically instructed each student to not bring any sharp items with them on the trip. If so....