Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:12:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 8:49:49 AM, FrackJack wrote:
Age-Of-Consent laws.

Am I crazy?

No... Age of consent laws are completely arbitrary. The law differs from state to state. Most states, like most countries, have it at 16. Some states have it much lower. Some states have a higher age of consent for women, who mature faster, and some states have a higher age of consent for homosexuals.
The age of consent laws are also greatly flawed. If 2 15 year olds have sex, both can be charged with rape. If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old, the 16 year old can be charged with rape. In states where the female age of consent is higher, a guy can be charged with rape for having sex with an older woman.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:54:04 AM
Age of consent operates on the same principles as racial discrimination.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 10:48:18 AM
At 5/3/2013 9:12:03 AM, DanT wrote:
Age-Of-Consent laws.

Am I crazy?

No... Age of consent laws are completely arbitrary. The law differs from state to state. Most states, like most countries, have it at 16. Some states have it much lower. Some states have a higher age of consent for women, who mature faster, and some states have a higher age of consent for homosexuals.
The age of consent laws are also greatly flawed. If 2 15 year olds have sex, both can be charged with rape. If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old, the 16 year old can be charged with rape. In states where the female age of consent is higher, a guy can be charged with rape for having sex with an older woman.

If a 15-year old rapes a 16-year old? Is the 16-year old charged?
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:40:24 AM
At 5/3/2013 10:48:18 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 5/3/2013 9:12:03 AM, DanT wrote:
Age-Of-Consent laws.

Am I crazy?

If a 15-year old rapes a 16-year old? Is the 16-year old charged?

If A 15 year old boy forces himself on a 16 year old girl, he could claim that she raped him. In which case she would be charged, but it would be up to the courts to decide if she is guilty.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:44:03 AM
"The age of consent laws are also greatly flawed. If 2 15 year olds have sex, both can be charged with rape. If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old, the 16 year old can be charged with rape. In states where the female age of consent is higher, a guy can be charged with rape for having sex with an older woman."

This is false. Rape is defined by three years difference in age below 18 , and someone over and under 18.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 11:54:31 AM
Flaws in the implementation of age of consent laws is no reason to be against the concept of it. If you are against it then what do you prefer; 21 year olds being allowed to have sex with 13 year olds?
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 12:00:32 PM
At 5/3/2013 11:54:31 AM, Double_R wrote:
Flaws in the implementation of age of consent laws is no reason to be against the concept of it. If you are against it then what do you prefer; 21 year olds being allowed to have sex with 13 year olds?

Strawman
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:34:02 PM
At 5/3/2013 12:00:32 PM, FrackJack wrote:

Strawman

It's really not.

Age of consent laws are legal barriers to dissuade older adults from taking advantage of children at a certain age.

If you want to lower the age of consent to 14 or 15, argue so.

But you can't say "get rid of age of consent" and then raise your eyebrows when a thirty years old and thirteen year old have "consensual" sex.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:45:55 PM
At 5/3/2013 2:34:02 PM, Wnope wrote:

Strawman

It's really not.

Age of consent laws are legal barriers to dissuade older adults from taking advantage of children at a certain age.

But you can't say "get rid of age of consent" and then raise your eyebrows when a thirty years old and thirteen year old have "consensual" sex.

Exactly.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 4:22:04 PM
Age of consent laws are arbitrary, but they need to be. It is a line in the sand.

If you are oppossed to age of consent, are you then also oppossed to an arbitrary level of retardation (IQ of 60, I think)? Did you know that in most states, retards cannot consent to sex, either, ever?
My work here is, finally, done.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 4:35:01 PM
At 5/3/2013 2:45:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 5/3/2013 2:34:02 PM, Wnope wrote:

Strawman

It's really not.

Exactly.

I must chime in here and agree with Wnope and Double_R. However, I also agree with the OP and DanT. I think there needs to be boundaries, but there are great flaws in the age of consent laws which do need reform.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson