Jump to topic:

This nation is ran by idiots

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 7:16:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you have to get your parents" permission to go on a field trip or to take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you MUST show your identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book and rent a video, but not to vote for who runs the government " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government wants to prevent stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If, in the nation"s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 7:19:48 PM
Can we just agree that everybody is an idiot?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 7:23:32 PM
At 5/3/2013 7:16:46 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
If you have to get your parents" permission to go on a field trip or to take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you MUST show your identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book and rent a video, but not to vote for who runs the government " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If the government wants to prevent stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines that hold more than ten rounds, but gives twenty F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If, in the nation"s largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not one 24-ounce soda, because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for entering and remaining in the country illegally " you might live in a nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots.

Can we get a video of Jeff Foxworthy reciting this? That would make it funnier and more publicized.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 7:30:48 PM
I think each have a responsibility - at least to ourselves - to use impeccable grammar whenever disparaging the intelligence of others.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 8:27:18 PM
At 5/3/2013 7:30:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
I think each have a responsibility - at least to ourselves - to use impeccable grammar whenever disparaging the intelligence of others.

You mean each has....

blowhard.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:12:34 PM
I thought you were a libertarian.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 9:18:28 PM

oh the irony.... :)
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 5:28:18 AM
Yeah, I think calling the founders geniuses is far too strong. Among them, there were a few clever cookies, but no-one who would make my top 100 list of thinkers or even top 250 really. Furthermore as a group it becomes even less appropriate.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:06:11 AM
At 5/4/2013 5:28:18 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Yeah, I think calling the founders geniuses is far too strong. Among them, there were a few clever cookies, but no-one who would make my top 100 list of thinkers or even top 250 really. Furthermore as a group it becomes even less appropriate.

I don't know; they managed to erect a cult of personality that has endured for over 200 years. They must have been fairly clever.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 8:23:07 AM
At 5/4/2013 6:06:11 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I don't know; they managed to erect a cult of personality that has endured for over 200 years. They must have been fairly clever.

Creating a nationalistic spirit requires no intelligence, and wasn't really a product of their behaviour.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 8:45:33 AM

Plus, if we're gonna be in a whole what-the-Founders-said circle jerk, none of them ever claimed to BE geniuses/heroes, except for maybe Benjamin Franklin, who just liked the attention from being famous, ESPECIALLY while he was in France. Reading actual diaries/journals of them, you'd see that they actually were very aware of their own flaws. As a fictionalized Benjamin Franklin said in the musical 1776:

"Besides, what would posterity think we were? Demi-gods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:43:38 AM
At 5/4/2013 8:45:33 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Plus, if we're gonna be in a whole what-the-Founders-said circle jerk, none of them ever claimed to BE geniuses/heroes, except for maybe Benjamin Franklin, who just liked the attention from being famous, ESPECIALLY while he was in France. Reading actual diaries/journals of them, you'd see that they actually were very aware of their own flaws. As a fictionalized Benjamin Franklin said in the musical 1776:

"Besides, what would posterity think we were? Demi-gods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed."

If the concept of a national Democracy, free from tyrannical rule, required geniuses to implement, then the entire idea would have been doomed from the start. I'll settle for Jeff Forxworthy levels.
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 2:51:10 PM

If you make a grammatical mistake while talking about the evils of incorrect grammar, you might be an idiot.