Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

HS Senior Expelled For Admitting to Mistake

royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:08:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
High school senior arrested, expelled for leaving shotgun in locked car on school grounds

gunsA North Carolina high school senior and Eagle Scout may not get to graduate this spring " all because he told school officials the truth.

Cole Withrow, a student at Princeton High School, was expelled from school and charged with a felony Monday after admitting to school officials that he accidentally left a shotgun in his locked car. Withrow had used the gun during a weekend camping trip and did not realize it was still in the car until arriving at school. He promptly called his mother to tell her, which is when his private conversation was overheard by the administration and the trouble began.

"The law is very clear when a person knowingly and willingly brings a weapon onto educational property," school district spokesperson Tracey Peedin Jones told Fox News. "The situation was turned over to law enforcement immediately."

Not everyone in this small community of 1,000 residents agrees with the school"s decision, however.

"I think it"s an injustice for this young man," family friend Kimberly Boykin told Fox News. "He"s a good guy. He"s loved by his classmates and his teachers. You don"t become an Eagle Scout by being a bad seed."

Boykin also believes that the school is teaching students the wrong message.

"You teach your kids if you"re in trouble or if you see you"ve done something wrong, go ahead and admit it," she said. "Be a man and it"ll be fixed. In this case, that"s what he did and he"s being punished for it. That"s not the lesson we need to teach our kids."

Students have also rallied behind their former classmate, setting up a Facebook page in support of Withrow and tweeting with the hashtag #FREECOLE.

"He is very honest and respectable and would never intentionally try to hurt anyone," classmate Kelcie Thomas told Fox News. "It was an honest mistake and my whole school is backing him up and supporting him fully."
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 6:09:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
He apparently was going to enter college with a merit scholarship, and he asked his mother to come pick up the gun because he did not want to miss class. Seriously? This unforgiving attitude is fairly ridiculous . . .

He is being charged with a felony, and the person who reported this to the police was his high school vice principal, who was earlier suspended from the school's employment for bringing a loaded handgun on school groups. The administrator was not charged with a felony in that incident.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 8:58:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
When officials feel bound by policies that were meant to apply to other circumstances, it is a sad reflection on their ability to make judgements that situations like this come to fruition. It's fairly evident that the kid made a mistake, and it's equally alarming that -assuming the facts of the case are fairly and accurately portrayed- it seems to be honesty that more or less resulted in all of this. But it's also fairly evident that he isn't the only one who made a mistake.

My guess is that the officials in question were afraid of blowback if they didn't enforce the policies in question to the letter -but what they did is nothing more than a cheap way to appear to keep their hands clean. In reality, what they did was easiest and most convenient for them. It's morally and ethically abhorrent, in any case. The rule isn't the issue though, it's the people charged with enforcing the rules that is the problem -but more or less it almost always is.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:01:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
In a less related vein though, whenever I hear about something like this I think about why rules like 'if you bring a firearm within a given proximity of a school, there will be overwhelmingly swift and severe consequences" exist. It's because whenever something bad happens, the public's first response is: "Ah! If only there were a rule, this could have been avoided!" as if somehow the writing of policies is sufficient to prevent criminals from committing crimes. How unfortunate it is that when extenuating circumstances transpire, the rules are deemed even still to apply.
Tsar of DDO
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:03:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 6:08:03 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
High school senior arrested, expelled for leaving shotgun in locked car on school grounds

gunsA North Carolina high school senior and Eagle Scout may not get to graduate this spring " all because he told school officials the truth.

Cole Withrow, a student at Princeton High School, was expelled from school and charged with a felony Monday after admitting to school officials that he accidentally left a shotgun in his locked car. Withrow had used the gun during a weekend camping trip and did not realize it was still in the car until arriving at school. He promptly called his mother to tell her, which is when his private conversation was overheard by the administration and the trouble began.

"The law is very clear when a person knowingly and willingly brings a weapon onto educational property," school district spokesperson Tracey Peedin Jones told Fox News. "The situation was turned over to law enforcement immediately."

It wasn't knowingly nor willingly. Also, the constitution is very clear, that he has a right to do so.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:07:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 6:09:56 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
He apparently was going to enter college with a merit scholarship, and he asked his mother to come pick up the gun because he did not want to miss class. Seriously? This unforgiving attitude is fairly ridiculous . . .

He is being charged with a felony, and the person who reported this to the police was his high school vice principal, who was earlier suspended from the school's employment for bringing a loaded handgun on school groups. The administrator was not charged with a felony in that incident.

The vice principle should be shot. First in the knee, than in the shoulder, than in the chin.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:07:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Disgusting. One more reason to repeal the Gun Free School Zone Act. Nanny State has truly gone wild!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:09:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 9:07:36 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Disgusting. One more reason to repeal the Gun Free School Zone Act. Nanny State has truly gone wild!

The issue is not the rule; the rule is fine. The issue is how it is enforced, and that the good people of North Carolina lack the rational capacity to recognize that laws need not be enforced to the letter in all circumstances, because the facts of any given circumstance differ.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:55:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think this a perfect example of why the federal government should pass as few mandates as possible. Disgusting
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 1:42:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/4/2013 9:07:19 AM, DanT wrote:
The vice principle should be shot. First in the knee, than in the shoulder, than in the chin.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 1:43:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seriously though.......I mean really? I hope they undo this somehow.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 2:15:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Humans are better off leaving the government ignorant of as many situations as possible.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.