Jump to topic:

Mark Sanford vs. Elizabeth Busch

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 7:14:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The former governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford, who had resigned after a sexual affair was uncovered has won the Republican nomination for the first congressional district of South Carolina.

He is facing two other candidates. The other major candidate is Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of comedian Stephen Colbert. She is running in a traditionall Republican district. Sanford is trying to regain his reputation.

Finally, the Green Party is running Eugene Platt, who ran as a Democrat in the same district in 2000 and won the primary, but lost the election. The reason he should be mentioned is because he is likely to possible steal votes from Busch.

Can this traditionally Republican district switch parties? Will Platt's candidacy steal Democratic votes similar to how Ross Perot stole Republican votes in 1992 and 1996? Or will his candidacy not be as effective of stealing votes similar to John Anderon's moderate Republican independent candidacy in the 1980 election?

Here is the most recent poll:
Busch: 47%
Sanford: 45%
Undecided: 8%

Platt was no included, but he did have 3% of the voters in a previous poll.

What are your predictions?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:20:44 PM
At 5/4/2013 7:14:45 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
The former governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford, who had resigned after a sexual affair was uncovered has won the Republican nomination for the first congressional district of South Carolina.

He is facing two other candidates. The other major candidate is Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of comedian Stephen Colbert. She is running in a traditionall Republican district. Sanford is trying to regain his reputation.

Finally, the Green Party is running Eugene Platt, who ran as a Democrat in the same district in 2000 and won the primary, but lost the election. The reason he should be mentioned is because he is likely to possible steal votes from Busch.

Can this traditionally Republican district switch parties? Will Platt's candidacy steal Democratic votes similar to how Ross Perot stole Republican votes in 1992 and 1996? Or will his candidacy not be as effective of stealing votes similar to John Anderon's moderate Republican independent candidacy in the 1980 election?

My prediction is a narrow victory for Busch. I feel Sanford has too much baggage to win the election. I myself would probably ditch and vote for Busch. I do NOT trust Sanford AT ALL
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:25:59 PM
At 5/4/2013 9:20:44 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

My prediction is a narrow victory for Busch. I feel Sanford has too much baggage to win the election. I myself would probably ditch and vote for Busch. I do NOT trust Sanford AT ALL

What? Does disappearing to South America with no one holding any knowledge of your whereabouts sound untrustworthy to you. :)

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:29:26 PM
At 5/4/2013 9:25:59 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:

What? Does disappearing to South America with no one holding any knowledge of your whereabouts sound untrustworthy to you. :)

Lolz :)

Who would you vote for in this election? Also should be noted Sanford was busted for tresspassing as wel
The Great Wall of Fail

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:36:31 PM
At 5/4/2013 9:29:26 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

Who would you vote for in this election? Also should be noted Sanford was busted for tresspassing as wel

Likely Busch although it would be intereting to see the comeback of Mark Sanford.

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:37:29 PM
At 5/4/2013 9:36:31 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Likely Busch although it would be intereting to see the comeback of Mark Sanford.

Well given his previous track record, he has nowhere to go but up, so that is a plus for Sanford.
The Great Wall of Fail

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 10:11:41 PM
At 5/4/2013 9:37:29 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/4/2013 9:36:31 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Well given his previous track record, he has nowhere to go but up, so that is a plus for Sanford.

I feel bad for the voters there. They are strongly Republican and probably do not want Busch at all, but there stuck with Sanford. I don't think they are going to ditch both candidates for the Green Party guy, but there in a sticky position. That is why there are still so many undecideds even with the election coming soon.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:37:32 PM
It shouldn't even be a race. A moderate democrat vs a complete scumbag. Moreover this election isn't going to effect the balance of power in the house at all--the republican 17 seat majority will be shrunk to 16. Cool. And they can just vote her out in 18 months if they don't like her

Why the hell does the Republican Party nominate filth like this?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:38:12 PM
At 5/5/2013 7:37:32 PM, thett3 wrote:
It shouldn't even be a race. A moderate democrat vs a complete scumbag. Moreover this election isn't going to effect the balance of power in the house at all--the republican 17 seat majority will be shrunk to 16. Cool. And they can just vote her out in 18 months if they don't like her

What is your problem with Sanford?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:41:36 PM
At 5/5/2013 7:38:12 PM, YYW wrote:

He abandoned his duty to his state so he could run off and cheat on his wife, that's pretty despicable in my eyes
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:46:16 PM
At 5/5/2013 7:41:36 PM, thett3 wrote:

He abandoned his duty to his state so he could run off and cheat on his wife, that's pretty despicable in my eyes

SC went on while he was whoring around. It was under control. People are too hard on him. Infidelity happens... it just does. It's time to act like grown ups and move on. Granted, I think it's classless for him to return to politics by doing anything other than running a primary challenge for gov, but that's just me.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:48:31 PM
At 5/5/2013 7:46:16 PM, YYW wrote:

SC went on while he was whoring around. It was under control. People are too hard on him. Infidelity happens... it just does. It's time to act like grown ups and move on. Granted, I think it's classless for him to return to politics by doing anything other than running a primary challenge for gov, but that's just me.

Well I guess it isnt the worst thing he could have done, but I wouldnt trust him with anything, I'd much prefer a democrat to get the seat
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:56:25 PM
At 5/5/2013 7:48:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/5/2013 7:46:16 PM, YYW wrote:

Well I guess it isnt the worst thing he could have done, but I wouldnt trust him with anything, I'd much prefer a democrat to get the seat

I don't really care either way, but I like Sanford though.
Tsar of DDO
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:26:47 AM
It appears things are going in Sanford's direction

http://tinyurl.com...
The Great Wall of Fail