Ideology Problem

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:37:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey all,

I am having trouble determining if I am a conservative or a libertarian. There are a few issues that I differ with both the GOP and LP.

-----------------------------------------------------

Abortion: I am pro-life, but would make exception for cases of rape and when the mother's life is at risk.

Gay Marriage: I believe that the government should stay out of marriage all together.

Foreign Policy: This is the biggest issue for me. I believe in the libertarian principle of non-intervention, but believe in peace through a balance of military strength and strong diplomacy. Moreover, I believe that in some cases we ought to intervene (i.e., genocide, national security, etc.)

Taxes: I would support any tax system that simplifies the tax code and makes it fairer for Americans, though my preference is the Fair Tax.

Immigration: I believe we need a strong border security, but freer immigration, strong background checks on those who want to come in. I reject amnesty for illegal immigrants, though feel the system needs reformed.

Term Limits: I believe in term limits for executive and legislative branches.

Would you classify this as more conservative or libertarian?
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:42:53 PM
Maybe a moderate conservative. DanT would probably know.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:43:11 PM
You're an Old Right conservative. Get out of here.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:43:27 PM
Probably more conservative.

PS: Boo on term limits! Boo!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:44:58 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:43:11 PM, Noumena wrote:
You're an Old Right conservative. Get out of here.

Exactly. I am a classic liberal, which today would be the old right conservatives. http://en.wikipedia.org...
The Great Wall of Fail

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:45:56 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:43:27 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That is an issue we should debate :D term limits is a passionate issue for me.
The Great Wall of Fail

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:46:42 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:41:45 PM, drafterman wrote:
Do you prefer your presidents engaging the country in decade's long wars or having extra marital sexual encounters?

No and no. Another problem for me.
The Great Wall of Fail

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:51:04 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:45:56 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 5/6/2013 6:43:27 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That is an issue we should debate :D term limits is a passionate issue for me.

Eh, I'm passionate about it, but in that vague idealistic kind of way. It really all is an argument from populism for me, in the sense that if a constituency wants to reelect their representative indefinitely, so be it. Do I think that the representative should step down and make room (a la what Herb Kohl finally did)? Of course. Should that be a legal mandate? O'course not.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:32:31 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:37:49 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Hey all,

I am having trouble determining if I am a conservative or a libertarian. There are a few issues that I differ with both the GOP and LP.

Abortion: I am pro-life, but would make exception for cases of rape and when the mother's life is at risk.

Almost all Republicans are pro-life, but Libertarians are kind of wishy-washy. Ron Paul, for example is pro-life, but Gary Johnson is pro-choice. This isn't an indicator of either side.
Gay Marriage: I believe that the government should stay out of marriage all together.

Definately Libertarian, but you share the Republican belief in a government-free marriage.
Foreign Policy: This is the biggest issue for me. I believe in the libertarian principle of non-intervention, but believe in peace through a balance of military strength and strong diplomacy. Moreover, I believe that in some cases we ought to intervene (i.e., genocide, national security, etc.)

You're like me here - a moderate Libertarian. Republicans nation-build, Libertarians defend.
Taxes: I would support any tax system that simplifies the tax code and makes it fairer for Americans, though my preference is the Fair Tax.

Both parties agree with that statement, but you find more Libertarians wanting the Fair Tax, and more Republicans wanting the Flat Tax.
Immigration: I believe we need a strong border security, but freer immigration, strong background checks on those who want to come in. I reject amnesty for illegal immigrants, though feel the system needs reformed.

You lean more to the Conservative side here, but you're no hard-core Republican.

Both parties believe in term limits for the most part.

You definately lean Libertarian, but you have a few Conservative beliefs. I'd say, from decreasing order of comparision: Classical Liberal, Moderate Libertarian, or Liberal Conservative.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:42:13 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:37:49 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Hey all,

I am pro death. I support abortion (until the point of viability), have no moral opposition to euthanasia and theoretically support the death penalty.

So, what does "stay out of marriage all together" mean to you?

Then be a Republican. Real republicans (as in not the tea bagging loons who have overrun the GOP as of late) only intervene when necessary.

Why is a complex tax system a problem? Why is it unfair? Why would a "fair tax" be more fair?

Why?

Why?

I would classify you as neither.
Tsar of DDO