Jump to topic:

2016 or 2020: Republican's Last Chance

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:49:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is speculation but I'm looking for your opinion.

Demographics are changing fast in America. Forgive me for making this about race, but non-white voters will definitely be growing fast and make up more than 40% by 2040. This is a demographic group that consistently votes Democratic. Their percentage of democratic voters has even been roughly increasing.

All projections seem to point to increasing support for the Democratic Party.

There are two scenarios. Either the Republican Party completely reshapes itself. Or we see the beginning of a new Democratic era.

I may just be lucky but I seem to be really good at making political predictions. I predicted that Obama and Romney would be nominated and I predicted that Obama would win. Earlier in 2012 I predicted that a Republican would win in 2016. I based this on old trends rather than new trends. I'd like to change my prediction. I think we are going to see a chain of Democrats. With a possibility of a Republican being elected in either 2016 or 2020 if they nominate either a moderate or a libertarian, correlating with a reshaping of the party. Think Jon Huntsmen and Rand Paul.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:52:26 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:49:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Demographics are changing fast in America. Forgive me for making this about race, but non-white voters will definitely be growing fast and make up more than 40% by 2040. This is a demographic group that consistently votes Democratic. Their percentage of democratic voters has even been roughly increasing.

There are two scenarios. Either the Republican Party completely reshapes itself. Or we see the beginning of a new Democratic era.

I may just be lucky but I seem to be really good at making political predictions. I predicted that Obama and Romney would be nominated and I predicted that Obama would win. Earlier in 2012 I predicted that a Republican would win in 2016. I based this on old trends rather than new trends. I'd like to change my prediction. I think we are going to see a chain of Democrats. With a possibility of a Republican being elected in either 2016 or 2020 if they nominate either a moderate or a libertarian, correlating with a reshaping of the party. Think Jon Huntsmen and Rand Paul.

The problem with the GOP right now is not our message, but an image problem. We are seen as "out of touch" and "too extreme.' I feel we need to be a bit more lax and more accepting of minorities and gays.

I think that if they nominate someone like Rick Santorum or Jeb Bush, they would forever lose me as a member of the GOP and we would see the beginning of the end of the GOP.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 6:55:59 PM
My prediction is that either:

a) The Libertarian Party will overtake the Republican Party (less likely)
b) The Republican Party will adopt something very close to/equal to the Libertarian platform, driving the Libertarians almost completely into the ancap realm.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:05:11 PM
I think that if immigration reform passes, the Republicans will be better off. And since there is a good chance of this happening, the GOP will benefit.

The GOP needs to communicate their message better, especially to the emerging demographics. Becoming more libertarian, especially with issues like foreign policy and drugs is important, but probably won't happen.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:06:07 PM

I'm sorry, but those don't count as predictions. It was fairly obvious to everyone that Romney would be nominated, and it was fairly obvious that he would lose. Republicans have faced trying circumstances in the 1930s and Democrats have done the same in the 1980s, and in each situation, the unpopular party simply endured its insignificance until the President left office. Sweeping instantaneous ideological reform to a political party is unheard of. Parties change very slowly through time, and with the nearly 2 century old political monopoly we have in this country, the idea of one of them suddenly going extinct is pretty far fetched.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:06:14 PM
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:12:15 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:06:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
the idea of one of them suddenly going extinct is pretty far fetched.

By era I don't mean to say that it will go extinct.

The era ends either when different demographic changes brings the advantage back or the Republican Party does eventually changes itself enough. It will change itself. It's just a matter of now or later.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:13:37 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:12:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/6/2013 7:06:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
the idea of one of them suddenly going extinct is pretty far fetched.

By era I don't mean to say that it will go extinct.

The era ends either when different demographic changes brings the advantage back or the Republican Party does eventually changes itself enough. It will change itself. It's just a matter of now or later.

That.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:19:35 PM
Based on both what I want to happen and what I am seeing happen, the Libertarian voice and Constitutional Conservatives have taken over the Republican party and now the Republicans ARE WINNING. 90% of the nation wanted gun control and Republicans said no, you will not trample the Constitution so the GOP destroyed all 3 major gun control proposals.

As Mitch McConnell rightly pointed out, the GOP has fresh talent for 2016 with Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Mike Lee whereas the Democrats top frontrunners are Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren, both of whom receive F's from pro-marijuana organizations.

When Rand Paul gets on that podium and tells the world he wants legalized marijuana while his Democrat opponent wants to lock you up, he will win.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:24:23 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:19:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Based on both what I want to happen and what I am seeing happen, the Libertarian voice and Constitutional Conservatives have taken over the Republican party and now the Republicans ARE WINNING. 90% of the nation wanted gun control and Republicans said no, you will not trample the Constitution so the GOP destroyed all 3 major gun control proposals.

As Mitch McConnell rightly pointed out, the GOP has fresh talent for 2016 with Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Mike Lee whereas the Democrats top frontrunners are Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren, both of whom receive F's from pro-marijuana organizations.

When Rand Paul gets on that podium and tells the world he wants legalized marijuana while his Democrat opponent wants to lock you up, he will win.

Yes, just how you vehemently insisted that Obama was going to lose because all the polls you selectively scavenged for suggested so. It's one thing to have beliefs that are pretty stupid. It's another story when you keep trying to convince other people that they're true, by asserting success that isn't there and citing sources that are completely spurious.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:27:12 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:52:26 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

The problem with the GOP right now is not our message, but an image problem. We are seen as "out of touch" and "too extreme.' I feel we need to be a bit more lax and more accepting of minorities and gays.

Ya think? I've been a Republican since they invented dirt and I sure never thought I'd ever be this disgusted with my party. When I watched the last convention the only way I could tell it wasn't a rerun of a 50s convention is that it was in color...and I mean the broadcast, NOT the delegates.

I think that if they nominate someone like Rick Santorum or Jeb Bush, they would forever lose me as a member of the GOP and we would see the beginning of the end of the GOP.

I'd vote for Charles Manson before I'd vote for Rick Santorum, they may as well nominate Fred Phelps.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:27:18 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:55:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

b) The Republican Party will adopt something very close to/equal to the Libertarian platform, driving the Libertarians almost completely into the ancap realm.

Or Libertarians will support more Republicans.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:29:24 PM
I long for the day when we discuss politics as perverse relics of our more primitive nature, much like we do with slavery and racism.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:30:18 PM
Every article I find on 2016 is focusing on Hillary Clinton vs Paul Ryan with Clinton winning. Be she has repeatedly announced she isn't running. I guess the internet just thinks she's joking.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:35:22 PM
I suggest looking for polls that ask people what they think will happen rather than asking them what they will do. Wisdom-of-crowds effect. It seems to suggest a Democratic win.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:37:04 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:16:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/6/2013 7:06:14 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
youtube

Posting that on Facebook.

And that is why I am voting hedgehog... sadly, I will miss the 2016 age limit by about 2 months :'(
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:00:37 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:39:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
2016 will be the first time millennials can vote.

Yay! I'll actually be 20. But hey--I can vote in the midterm elections!

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:21:42 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:24:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yes, just how you vehemently insisted that Obama was going to lose because all the polls you selectively scavenged for suggested so. It's one thing to have beliefs that are pretty stupid. It's another story when you keep trying to convince other people that they're true, by asserting success that isn't there and citing sources that are completely spurious.

If you are talking about conspiracies, I understand though wouldn't use the same word.

Libertarianism though is not stupid, it is philosophically consistent. Maximize individual freedom while limiting the government's power and scope.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:26:04 PM

The GOP will reinvigorate itself. It has now realized that it has to appeal to more than poor angry white people to win. There will be a Democrat elected in 2016 and probably 2020, but by 2024, they should have gotten their act together again.
Tsar of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:39:55 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:30:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Every article I find on 2016 is focusing on Hillary Clinton vs Paul Ryan with Clinton winning. Be she has repeatedly announced she isn't running. I guess the internet just thinks she's joking.

Paul Ryan is not even on the radar. The front runners are Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, and that's it. Even Jeb Bush is higher than Paul Ryan.

On the polls where Rand Paul is excluded, "Other" wins. Rand Paul is the Romney/McCain except will actually win a general election.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:54:07 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:26:04 PM, YYW wrote:

The GOP will reinvigorate itself. It has now realized that it has to appeal to more than poor angry white people to win. There will be a Democrat elected in 2016 and probably 2020, but by 2024, they should have gotten their act together again.

Just curious. Are you an American that's just living in Switzerland?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:56:09 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:39:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Paul Ryan is not even on the radar. The front runners are Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, and that's it. Even Jeb Bush is higher than Paul Ryan.

On the polls where Rand Paul is excluded, "Other" wins. Rand Paul is the Romney/McCain except will actually win a general election.

Hillary? Unlikely.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:56:47 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:54:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/6/2013 8:26:04 PM, YYW wrote:

Just curious. Are you an American that's just living in Switzerland?

I live in the United States. I keep my location in Switzerland because I love the country, the people, etc. I have lived in Switzerland, but I do not live there now.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:06:33 PM
At 5/6/2013 6:55:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I dont think it will be either of those.

The Republican party right now is a party that is built off of tradition, which can be noble but also a real pain in the a** when the world and demographics of politics is changing so rapidly. And with midterm elections in between presidential races the Republican party will most likely stick to what they know and not try to move more to the center unless a miracle candidate emerges for their party (unlikely)

I believe that if the Republican party cant get it together sometime in the next two elections, then the only time they will ever be able to take back the presidency is if the Democratic party f*cks up hard. It could be a really unpopular war, a big crash of the economy, or maybe a massive watergate-like scandal, but I fondly believe that if the Republican party cant adapt for 2016 or 2020, they most certainly wont die out or be replaced by a fringe Libertarian party which failed to get a million and a half votes in this last election.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:15:40 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:39:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This is 100% correct. Rand Paul is -for now- the front runner, but I expect that won'd endure. The GOP realizes that Paul Ryan is one of the central causes for Romney's loss, and they're not going to fvck up that again. Rubio will run but he won't win. Ted Cruz is in the same boat. I'd be very surprised to see Bobby Jindal survive past Iowa. I think that it will come down to Rand Paul, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie. I think Christie should win, but that Jeb Bush will.
Tsar of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:05:03 PM
At 5/6/2013 9:15:40 PM, YYW wrote:
I think Christie should win, but that Jeb Bush will.

Do you think Americans will vote for another Bush?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:09:14 PM

Democrats aren't inherently anti-drug, they simply haven't had to be pro-drug in the past because Republicans aren't and it's a lose-only scenario to play that card when most people haven't classically supported the pro-drug movement and, even if they did, don't consider it an issue of central importance. If Hillary or some other Dem suddenly saw some advantage in becoming pro-drug, they would flip like a pancake. Conservatives are the ones stuck on that side of the fence, and they are going to perish in that spot because the times, they are a-changin'.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 11:12:01 PM
At 5/6/2013 10:05:03 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/6/2013 9:15:40 PM, YYW wrote:
I think Christie should win, but that Jeb Bush will.

Do you think Americans will vote for another Bush?

Even hardline Conservatives don't support Bush. Michelle Malkin has come out against Bush.

YYW, you are insane if you think Christie or Jeb wll get anywhere. Christie didn't even get invited to CPAC, what makes you think he can win the Republican nomination!!?? Jeb Bush has no credibility, he already is dismissed by Conservatives for his immigration flip flop.

Jeb Bush and Christie will go nowhere. Rand Paul's base will never die, it will only grow. In fact, even despite his latest setback where half his base turned on him, he still gained a net surplus of new followers on Facebook, he is now nearing 1 million likes.

Ted Cruz can slice down any Neo-Con and any Democrat and politically, rhetorically decapitate them into shivering, weak, trembling castrated jellyfish. Ted Cruz is a worldwide debate champion.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat