Jump to topic:

Marketplace Fairness Act

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:01:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
(Internet Sales Tax) Yes, our rulers think we are that stupid. The extortion is estimated to generate $23 billion in loot for the government. Anyway, what do you think about the new legislation?

http://www.inquisitr.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:05:55 PM
This is mostly how I feel about it.

The big companies that support it are doing so in an effort to get more tax advantages over their competitors. No sh!t.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:44:40 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:01:58 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
(Internet Sales Tax) Yes, our rulers think we are that stupid. The extortion is estimated to generate $23 billion in loot for the government. Anyway, what do you think about the new legislation?

I think it's a pretty good idea, actually.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:51:56 PM
At 5/6/2013 7:44:40 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
At 5/6/2013 7:01:58 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I think it's a pretty good idea, actually.

Please tell us why.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:53:14 PM
If they bumped the cap up to exempt businesses (currently 1 million yearly revenue) I could see myself getting behind this.

I'd need to see some crunched numbers before I could say how much, though.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:21:27 PM
I oppose this act because in effect it is a tax increase.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 8:56:12 PM
At 5/6/2013 8:21:27 PM, Contra wrote:

Most likely it isn't, but I am not 100% sure.
To my understanding, the sales tax is to be collected where it is being shipped. So, a state with no sales tax shouldn't all of a sudden be paying sales tax.

In reference to MN, I am neutral about it. Actually, in a way, it is a good argument that government is impotent.
In MN, if we have purchases in other jurisdictions totaling $770 or more in a tax year, we are to pay use taxes on the purchases. If tax was collected, we pay the difference. If we paid more in sales tax than we would have in MN, we pay no additional sales tax, and I think there is a way to get the difference back, but we need to file a form and submit to the company (not the state).

Don't quote me on that last one, I might be thinking of items that are exempt from sales tax on which sales tax was collected.

Tl;dr? In MN, and most likely in other states, you are required by law to be paying the "sales and use" tax anyway. Therefore, it is not a tax increase, it is an enforcement measure.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:25:48 PM

How do you not oppose all tax?
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:58:33 PM
Internet sales tax = big government.

Why should businesses selling from one state be forced to comply with more than 9,600 different tax jurisdictions from other states, collect the right tax amount, and then submit the money to those distant governments? Even if the the businesses have no other dealings with that state or local government, they still have to pay THEIR tax rate.

What if a business fail to comply with some of these tax rules? Theoretically, they could be audited 45 times by tax authorities from 45 states.

Marketplace Fairness Act is anything but "fair".
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:00:34 PM
At 5/6/2013 9:25:48 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Why* do you not oppose all tax?

Fixed like my dog.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:02:29 PM
At 5/6/2013 9:58:33 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

What is bad about big government?

Why should businesses selling from one state be forced to comply with more than 9,600 different tax jurisdictions from other states, collect the right tax amount, and then submit the money to those distant governments? Even if the the businesses have no other dealings with that state or local government, they still have to pay THEIR tax rate.

Do people have a right to the fruits of their labor?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:12:13 PM
At 5/6/2013 10:02:29 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

http://www.quickmeme.com...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:19:39 PM
At 5/6/2013 10:02:29 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Any government intervention always comes at the expense of the businesses and consumers. But I suspect you already knew that, somehow.

Do people have a right to the fruits of their labor?
Of course.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 10:29:16 PM
I don't like it, but I can't strictly oppose it as long as sales taxes exist. I mean, it's only fair that we don't have a double standard on sales taxes. I hate sales taxes, and would prefer to have only an income tax. That way, once you get your paycheck, you're done, no more taxes to pay. Much simpler. Even better: tax collection is one hell of a lot simpler for businesses.

However, I can criticize it on the grounds that it inhibits growth in the Internet marketplace. We definitely want growth on new frontiers, and the Internet is quite possibly the most important new economic frontier we've ever faced. It is economic globalization at our fingertips.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 11:17:22 PM

Because the federal government says so, I guess.
However, you feel about the issue, at least its Constitutional (inter-state commerce).

What if a business fail to comply with some of these tax rules? Theoretically, they could be audited 45 times by tax authorities from 45 states.

Marketplace Fairness Act is anything but "fair".
My work here is, finally, done.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 11:46:29 PM
Ted Cruz dismantles the Internet Sales Tax:
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:42:01 AM
At 5/6/2013 11:46:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Ted Cruz dismantles the Internet Sales Tax:

I like how, at the end, he unleashes RPGs into the legislature in session discussing the bill.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 1:05:56 PM
At 5/7/2013 9:42:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I like how, at the end, he unleashes RPGs into the legislature in session discussing the bill.

They don't call him the 'Ted Cruz Missile' for nothing.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat