Jump to topic:

License to Conceal Carry Handgun

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:21:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Opinions on it? Anyone else have one? After a 100 day wait mine came in today.
Side note, gun suggestions?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:35:26 PM
At 5/8/2013 5:21:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Awesome! I wish my state allowed ccw; I'm jealous! I like my Glock 0.40 cal but the 1911 0.45 is a very nice piece. And there's always your assortment of 9 mm out there. I personally love the FN 57 but the ammo is ridiculously expensive and difficult if not impossible to get in many states.

Congrats!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
LegalizeLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 5:40:38 PM

In Oregon, where I live, you have to have basic Pistol Training before the State/Sheriff's Office will issue a CCW. I've completed that, now I just have to wait until I'm 21.

The Springfield XDS in .45 Auto is a nice gun. It would work for concealed carry. I think I read somewhere that Springfield will add 9mm and .40SW in the future.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:55:32 PM
Ya thinking I'll end up with a glock, 1911 would be great if I can find a good price.

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 7:57:45 PM

I agree w/ the choice between concealed and open.

Depends, do you want it for home defense, recreational (gun ranges, hunting etc), etc.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 8:23:45 PM
At 5/8/2013 7:57:45 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Depends, do you want it for home defense, recreational (gun ranges, hunting etc), etc.

This one is both technically, that way if your shirt rides up or something and its exposed you're still covered.
You don't have to have a license to do ranges and home defense, license extends to everywhere but fed and state buildings and schools.

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 8:29:11 PM
At 5/8/2013 8:23:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:

This one is both technically, that way if your shirt rides up or something and its exposed you're still covered.
You don't have to have a license to do ranges and home defense, license extends to everywhere but fed and state buildings and schools.

No, I was replying to the call for suggestions to the type of gun you are going to get.

So I ask again, do you want the gun for home defense or recreational use?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 8:37:48 PM
At 5/8/2013 8:29:11 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 5/8/2013 8:23:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:

No, I was replying to the call for suggestions to the type of gun you are going to get.

So I ask again, do you want the gun for home defense or recreational use?

Want it for concealed carry, have an arsenal at my house, need a compact gun to carry.

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 12:07:44 AM

This is not a good idea. Criminals will not be obeying this law and there is no practical way to ensure they are not doing conceal carry without permission.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 11:51:17 AM

100 days!!!!!! Wow that sucks. We have same day pending a background check. 10 bucks.

1911, Springfield XD and most others I saw suggested will be too much. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 215 lbs and there is no comfortable way to carry any of those suggested. Even my compact Glock 27 was a literal pain in the arse.

I carry either a light weight .38 snub revolver or a Beretta bobcat in.22.

I know this is very underpowered but something is better than nothing in my opinion. I have the XD in .45 in my truck, holster permanently attached to dash on the driver side. The Glock 27 in the glove box for any time I know I will be walking into a shady situation like a store on the bad side of town. And finally a Remington 870 bolted to the underside on the bench seat in my truck, just in case all hell breaks loose.

But for everyday carry in areas I doubt will be an issue I opt for the little guns, cause I always have one of them. I feel very confident with those little guys because I shoot the crap out of them. At least 500 rounds a month in the .38 and thousands in the .22. I don't care if you carry around a bazooka, if you don't shoot it a lot you might not perform will when it really matters. I can take out both eyes at 25 yards in many positions with my little .22.

Practice shooting whatever you get in as many situations as you can think of.

Laying on side, stomach and back.
Kneeling, one and both knees.
Sitting, at table, on ground.
While moving, backwards, forwards, sideways.
From what ever vehicle you drive.

But main thing, burn up a lot of gun powder.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 11:52:26 AM
At 5/9/2013 12:07:44 AM, Dan4reason wrote:

This is not a good idea. Criminals will not be obeying this law and there is no practical way to ensure they are not doing conceal carry without permission.

You are kidding right?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 12:28:58 PM
At 5/9/2013 11:51:17 AM, jharry wrote:

100 days!!!!!! Wow that sucks. We have same day pending a background check. 10 bucks.

1911, Springfield XD and most others I saw suggested will be too much. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 215 lbs and there is no comfortable way to carry any of those suggested. Even my compact Glock 27 was a literal pain in the arse.

I know this is very underpowered but something is better than nothing in my opinion. I have the XD in .45 in my truck, holster permanently attached to dash on the driver side. The Glock 27 in the glove box for any time I know I will be walking into a shady situation like a store on the bad side of town. And finally a Remington 870 bolted to the underside on the bench seat in my truck, just in case all hell breaks loose.

But for everyday carry in areas I doubt will be an issue I opt for the little guns, cause I always have one of them. I feel very confident with those little guys because I shoot the crap out of them. At least 500 rounds a month in the .38 and thousands in the .22. I don't care if you carry around a bazooka, if you don't shoot it a lot you might not perform will when it really matters. I can take out both eyes at 25 yards in many positions with my little .22.

Ya I was considering a makarov or a walther ppk or something as well. I think Walther just came out with a ppk .22lr, that would be pretty convenient and cheap to shoot. Unfortunately even the smaller caliber ammunition is near impossible to find for a decent price.

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 2:08:56 PM

This is my permit:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Issue Date: December 15, 1791
Expires: Never
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 2:40:37 PM
At 5/9/2013 2:08:56 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

This is my permit:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's all well and good but I don't plan on practicing civil disobedience and spending any time in jail just to make a point.
If you're willing to risk it to make a point, all the more power to you.

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 3:01:54 PM

This is my permit:

Are you part of your state's National Guard? If not, your individual right to bear arms falls under the 9th amendment, not the 2nd, since the 2nd quite obviously refers to a well-regulated militia. The right to bear arms is a natural right.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 3:14:57 PM
At 5/9/2013 3:01:54 PM, drhead wrote:

This is my permit:

Are you part of your state's National Guard? If not, your individual right to bear arms falls under the 9th amendment, not the 2nd, since the 2nd quite obviously refers to a well-regulated militia. The right to bear arms is a natural right.

Er, read the second part: the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

You beg the question, "who are the malitia that the US constitution speaks of?" The answer is we the people.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
" Tench Coxe, 1788.

I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials.
-- George Mason

The words "regulated" does not mean "controlled, limited, or oppressed", rather it means "having proper kit and provisions" or "properly maintained and kept in good repair."
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 6:43:32 PM
At 5/9/2013 12:28:58 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 5/9/2013 11:51:17 AM, jharry wrote:

Ya I was considering a makarov or a walther ppk or something as well. I think Walther just came out with a ppk .22lr, that would be pretty convenient and cheap to shoot. Unfortunately even the smaller caliber ammunition is near impossible to find for a decent price.

I picked up a Mauser .32 years ago in a trade. I held onto it because it has Nazi stamps all over it and after researching it I found out it was a police issue before and during WWII. I ain't a Nazi but its neat having a piece of history like that.

But anyway, the damn thing shoots like friggin dream. Damn near a point and squeeze weapon, it just feels so natural in your hand. I've never owned a ppk but it has the same feel.

Can you carry more than one with your permit? I would advice going down town with a .22