Total Posts:209|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Our four fathers

kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 3:44:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
As you can tell by my picture, I'm a black man...who happens to live in America. When the Constitution was signed, as well as the Declaration of Independence, they did not have black folks in mind. In fact, we were thought to be 3/5 of a human being. Now if this isn't just smitten. I often hear from my white brothers, and sisters that we should just get over slavery.
I'm not here asking you all for reparations, but the Jews got reparations for the Holocaust (which wasn't even on American soil). When the question of black folks receiving compensation comes up, we are told to "get over it". In no way am I depreciating the struggles that every other ethnicity has endured, but I can only speak for my race. Why is it always a callous rebuttal when black folks open their mouths.

Moreover,although the physical slavery was abolished officially in 1865, that's when the mental slavery began. Willie Lynch had a divine strategy to keep us at odds, and submissive for ages Jim Crow, the KKK, and white supremacist groups. I also know that if the nation was truly sorry they would not have waited over a hundred years to just simply apologize.

your thoughts
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 6:18:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Although I understand your feelings, I don't think you are being quite realistic.
Slavery was not just about capturing black people and working them like dogso. Before blacks were used as slaves, Indians were heavily used as slaves towards other Indians. Whites were also used as slaves. Should we really try to make up for something that happened decades ago? We are trying to become more reasonable by events such as the Civil Rights Movement and granting blacks the vote. Your race has progressed so much that now we have a black president.

However, there remains quite a lot of racism to this day. Whites hating blacks, blacks hating whites. Should whites be compensated for black hatred of us? Every time something negative happens, it does not necessarily mean the other party at fault can necessarily "compensate" you. Puck had a great example. All races and nationalities, if you think about it, still struggle with some form of racism, discrimination, or pure prejudice. How would we be able to compensate everyone?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 6:53:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Well, first off, its partially your fault. By your, i mean your race. How many times have we heard people like Chris Rock making fun of racism against Blacks? And where is the upheaval about that?

Secondly, yes, id tell you to get over it too. Im of Japanese ethnicity, and Japanese-americans have received multiple sufferings during the second world war despite being american citizens and having no ties to japan except being japanese. I dont complain about it. I havent seen many japanese complain about it. Why? Because its in the past. Sure, compensation would be nice, and by nice, i mean, in the sense that winning the lottery would also be nice. But its not as if YOU were the one who was suffering. Its not as if YOU were the one who had to endure being a slave. If you are receiving constant Racist threats against you, then yes, you have the right to SUE them, but no, the government has no obligation anymore to give you compensation.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 7:05:21 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't like the whole 3/5 thing. Black's were not treated as 3/5's of a human being, they were treated like less.

The only reason they were ever "counted" as 3/5 was because the white southerners wanted greater representation, and even though blacks didn't get any kind of vote or say in anything to do with the govt. and were treated like cattle, the southerners wanted them to count as people for the amount of representatives that the south got in the House of Reps, despite the fact that they couldn't vote for Reps.

The northerners of course argued that they hardly count for representation purposes, and ought not be counted, but the south was insistent so they compromised.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 7:37:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 6:53:47 AM, tkubok wrote:
Well, first off, its partially your fault. By your, i mean your race. How many times have we heard people like Chris Rock making fun of racism against Blacks? And where is the upheaval about that?

Secondly, yes, id tell you to get over it too. Im of Japanese ethnicity, and Japanese-americans have received multiple sufferings during the second world war despite being american citizens and having no ties to japan except being japanese. I dont complain about it. I havent seen many japanese complain about it. Why? Because its in the past. Sure, compensation would be nice, and by nice, i mean, in the sense that winning the lottery would also be nice. But its not as if YOU were the one who was suffering. Its not as if YOU were the one who had to endure being a slave. If you are receiving constant Racist threats against you, then yes, you have the right to SUE them, but no, the government has no obligation anymore to give you compensation.

It's our fault?...I don't see your logic. I'm not advocating that we be compensated,because it will never happen. Yes,every ethnicity does NOT endure what blacks endure as a whole. Every other race tries in some form or fashion to unite,but blacks are subdued when a powerful leader from our community stands up for justice. We are regarded as being intellectually inferior,which is proposterous.
Until we can empathize with another,we will continually lean unto money as a means to justify. Look at how our system works,when someone is unjustly killed,or injured we throw money at their life. How can you put a price tag on human life?
Is it fair to say that it's the Japanese people's fault they got nuked?
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 7:47:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 7:05:21 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I don't like the whole 3/5 thing. Black's were not treated as 3/5's of a human being, they were treated like less.

The only reason they were ever "counted" as 3/5 was because the white southerners wanted greater representation, and even though blacks didn't get any kind of vote or say in anything to do with the govt. and were treated like cattle, the southerners wanted them to count as people for the amount of representatives that the south got in the House of Reps, despite the fact that they couldn't vote for Reps.

The northerners of course argued that they hardly count for representation purposes, and ought not be counted, but the south was insistent so they compromised.

Nice take. I get upset when we are told to "get over it". No I didn't endure slavery,but my ancestors did,who I have NO idea of who they are. Most races can trace back generations of their family trees,I can't. So that is supposed to be my fault?
It's funny how blacls flock to the DEM party,and they only want votes. Some say we are supposed to be happy because Obama is in office. Now,realistically,how many of us will see any benefit from Obama being in office?..He can't just look out for us,for one because that wouldn't be fair to other ethnicities.
People don't get the picture until trouble knocks on THEIR door. People see injustice every day,but we have become so absorbed with ourselves that helping our fellow man is shunned. The rest of the world looks at America as the gravest threat to THEIR survival.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 7:54:14 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 7:37:58 AM, kelly224 wrote:
It's our fault?...I don't see your logic. I'm not advocating that we be compensated,because it will never happen. Yes,every ethnicity does NOT endure what blacks endure as a whole. Every other race tries in some form or fashion to unite,but blacks are subdued when a powerful leader from our community stands up for justice. We are regarded as being intellectually inferior,which is proposterous.

I agree, it is proposterous that Blacks are being regarded as Intellectually inferior, because it doesnt happen. Period. No one is thinking that Blacks are intellectually inferior. Are you kidding me? Who is the current president of the United states? You are purposefully deluding yourself in a fantasy that doesnt exist. This is not the 1800s anymore. Get over yourself.

Until we can empathize with another,we will continually lean unto money as a means to justify. Look at how our system works,when someone is unjustly killed,or injured we throw money at their life. How can you put a price tag on human life?

How else can we compensate? As the above posts say, what, do we kill the person as compensation? A life for a life?

Is it fair to say that it's the Japanese people's fault they got nuked?

Yes, it is. Are you saying it isnt Hitlers fault that he got defeated in world war 2?
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:07:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 7:54:14 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 11/25/2009 7:37:58 AM, kelly224 wrote:
It's our fault?...I don't see your logic. I'm not advocating that we be compensated,because it will never happen. Yes,every ethnicity does NOT endure what blacks endure as a whole. Every other race tries in some form or fashion to unite,but blacks are subdued when a powerful leader from our community stands up for justice. We are regarded as being intellectually inferior,which is proposterous.

I agree, it is proposterous that Blacks are being regarded as Intellectually inferior, because it doesnt happen. Period. No one is thinking that Blacks are intellectually inferior. Are you kidding me? Who is the current president of the United states? You are purposefully deluding yourself in a fantasy that doesnt exist. This is not the 1800s anymore. Get over yourself.

Until we can empathize with another,we will continually lean unto money as a means to justify. Look at how our system works,when someone is unjustly killed,or injured we throw money at their life. How can you put a price tag on human life?

How else can we compensate? As the above posts say, what, do we kill the person as compensation? A life for a life?

Is it fair to say that it's the Japanese people's fault they got nuked?

Yes, it is. Are you saying it isnt Hitlers fault that he got defeated in world war 2?

YOU are living in some neverland. How many black intellects do YOU know of besides Cornell West,or Louis Gates. I know there are,but where are most of the black millionaires coming from?...Sports,and entertainment. Everyone is saying that Obama is black,Obama is mixed race.Just so happens that if anyone has a drop of black blood in them,they are considered black.
Are we supposed to just fall over,and say thank you because America is exercising a strategy by electing him?...America has always been known for smoke screens,why should we not expect for it to continue?...Wake up,and stop letting the mainstream media spoon feed you.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:17:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 3:44:48 AM, kelly224 wrote:
As you can tell by my picture, I'm a black man...
If you had a picture of anything else, I'd still know you were black? Why? Because you've been moaning about how mistreated you are for over 9000 threads

they did not have black folks in mind. In fact, we were thought to be 3/5 of a human being.
Slavery happened, get over it. My forefathers were indentured servants, but I'm not whining about it.

Now if this isn't just smitten. I often hear from my white brothers, and sisters that we should just get over slavery.

Yeah, you really should work on that

I'm not here asking you all for reparations, but the Jews got reparations for the Holocaust (which wasn't even on American soil).

Oh right I forgot how slavery was the same as being locked in a barbed wire fortress, being starved, randomly experimented on, killed in the masses, gassed etc. Right I missed those mass graves filled with black people. Oh wait! thats right.

When the question of black folks receiving compensation comes up, we are told to "get over it". In no way am I depreciating the struggles that every other ethnicity has endured, but I can only speak for my race. Why is it always a callous rebuttal when black folks open their mouths.

Because you are constantly complaining about things long past. I'm not asking you to pay me money because my forefather was an indentured servant.

Moreover,although the physical slavery was abolished officially in 1865, that's when the mental slavery began.
Really? You're really gonna start this BS bout "mental slavery". Really? I feel like I'm a mental slave to the system. Now givveme my monies!

Willie Lynch had a divine strategy to keep us at odds, and submissive for ages Jim Crow, the KKK, and white supremacist groups.
Black Panthers, enuff said

I also know that if the nation was truly sorry they would not have waited over a hundred years to just simply apologize.
When we invade Africa, start a war, kill all of 90% of them, steal all of their lands and build a country there then we'll start to talk. Point: We only recently apologized to the indians. Chill out. The whole "apology" thing is a bunch of bullcrap aimed at getting more votes. The country isn't a physical person and doesn't owe anyone an apology. The people do, and FYI, the people who were slavers are dead, no one likes what they did, and If you could summon them up from the grave and ask them to apologize they would just laugh, they aren't sorry.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:22:31 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 7:37:58 AM, kelly224 wrote:
every ethnicity does NOT endure what blacks endure as a whole.
Jews in WWII and on a daily basis everywhere since medieval times, North Koreans, Africans suffering from aids and corrupt governments, Kurds in Iraq, Indians of every tribe, Japan when we nuked them, etc. I can go on and on.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:24:10 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
...Wake up,and stop letting the mainstream media spoon feed you.

You're right instead we should be listening to illegitament sources, angry racist preachers, conspiracy theorists, and Geolaurate. That's the perfect mix of info!
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:42:54 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:07:24 AM, kelly224 wrote:
YOU are living in some neverland. How many black intellects do YOU know of besides Cornell West,or Louis Gates. I know there are,but where are most of the black millionaires coming from?...Sports,and entertainment.

Ive highlighted the keywords with Bold. The fact that you can name even one, the fact that people can escape the cycle, is proof that the world doesnt care if you are black, they care if you are rich. It doesnt matter how you get your money, the world only cares about money.

Everyone is saying that Obama is black,Obama is mixed race.Just so happens that if anyone has a drop of black blood in them,they are considered black.

Obamas father is a fully fledged Kenyan. If your father is black, that is a tad bit more than a "Drop".

http://en.wikipedia.org....

Are we supposed to just fall over,and say thank you because America is exercising a strategy by electing him?...America has always been known for smoke screens,why should we not expect for it to continue?...Wake up,and stop letting the mainstream media spoon feed you.

Oh, so now its a conspiracy, is it?

Seriously, get over yourself. You dont have to say thank you, but you dont get to say "Its a conspiracy, Barrack Obama isnt really the president of the United states, his father isnt really black, he just painted his skin to look black. Its all covered up by the Media!!!111 Barrack Obama is actually white, as is his father, and he isnt the president, Bush still is, behind the scenes!!!111." Sorry, but no.

Your argument fails systematically in light of the facts.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:44:45 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:31:43 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Affirmative action. Stop complaining.

One other thing. When was the last time that you actually suffered under oppression at the hands of the "white man"?

Apparently, the existance of the white man alone is oppression enough. Apparently, whenever he sees a rich white man, its a constant reminder that no black man could ever become rich, except through entertainment or sports, and except those select few like Condolezza Rice or Barrack Obama, who arent really black at all, and who actually hold no power, as they are at the mercy of their white massa's.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:45:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is getting to be hilarious IMO
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:48:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:45:33 AM, johngriswald wrote:
This is getting to be hilarious IMO

These black power extremists are always as funny as their white power neo-nazi counterparts.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:49:43 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:24:10 AM, johngriswald wrote:
...Wake up,and stop letting the mainstream media spoon feed you.

You're right instead we should be listening to illegitament sources, angry racist preachers, conspiracy theorists, and Geolaurate. That's the perfect mix of info!

Must be an advocate for Fox.All hail Glenn Beck.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:52:32 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:49:43 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Didn't really have a logical response for anything, so I did what any good person who doesn't know what they're talking about does, I just blame a major news network.

Oh I see what you did thar
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 8:52:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am ill so hopefully I will express myself properly.

Reperations is a very murky subject.

Where is the demand by black activists for compensation from the African nations who started the slave trade? Bear in mind at the begnning of the slave trade, it was blacks selling blacks (criminals, prisoners of war) to whites. Without this market demand, which admittedly the whites created such poor unfortunates would have been murdered. That obviously does not make it okay, but it is surely food for thought?

The demand for reperations arise from the natural recognition of equality. The movement for equality is obviously a great thing, however equality should be about establishing a level playing field. Sure some people will do better due to their natural abilities, but everyone has a chance to take part regardless of silly arbitary distinctions such as skin colour.

Unfortunately the other side, the darker side of this equality movement is more about simply taking stuff away from what is regarded as the unfairly dominant group. That ultimately leads to it's form of racism.

Reperations are best 'paid back' by the pursuit of genuine equality of opportunity and the recognition of past misdeeds.

Also how far back do you go? Should Britain sue Morrocco for compensation for the Arab slavers that plied the coasts of cornwall? Should spain sue for the Arab and Black slave owners during the time of Al-Andalus?

To me this smacks very much of 'white guilt'. My ancestors (as far as I can tell) were very much working class, they were not slave traders, I do not live in a manor built of slavery and genocide though my country certainly profitted. Should I feel guilty for the slave trade? If so should I feel guilt as a human being, guilt as a white person? Surely it should be the former if at all?

Sorry for this random ramble, but yes to me the slave trade IS something that we need to get over, we do need to draw a line under it and recognise it as history. So long as we have learnt the lessons that is. (and actually to destroy my point we have not yet done so entirely).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:00:09 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:42:54 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 11/25/2009 8:07:24 AM, kelly224 wrote:
YOU are living in some neverland. How many black intellects do YOU know of besides Cornell West,or Louis Gates. I know there are,but where are most of the black millionaires coming from?...Sports,and entertainment.

Ive highlighted the keywords with Bold. The fact that you can name even one, the fact that people can escape the cycle, is proof that the world doesnt care if you are black, they care if you are rich. It doesnt matter how you get your money, the world only cares about money.


Everyone is saying that Obama is black,Obama is mixed race.Just so happens that if anyone has a drop of black blood in them,they are considered black.

Obamas father is a fully fledged Kenyan. If your father is black, that is a tad bit more than a "Drop".

http://en.wikipedia.org....

Are we supposed to just fall over,and say thank you because America is exercising a strategy by electing him?...America has always been known for smoke screens,why should we not expect for it to continue?...Wake up,and stop letting the mainstream media spoon feed you.

Oh, so now its a conspiracy, is it?

Seriously, get over yourself. You dont have to say thank you, but you dont get to say "Its a conspiracy, Barrack Obama isnt really the president of the United states, his father isnt really black, he just painted his skin to look black. Its all covered up by the Media!!!111 Barrack Obama is actually white, as is his father, and he isnt the president, Bush still is, behind the scenes!!!111." Sorry, but no.

Your argument fails systematically in light of the facts.

You are getting me totally wrong. I am not saying that don't exist,I asked how many can YOU name as far as black intellects. This thread is turning into bash the angry black man,which I am not. I'm speaking from my point of view,as you and the rest of the folks here are doing. When others(meaning other than black) tell our story,we get it from an outside source,but when a black person tells it it is whining and moaning. This arrogant,and pompous attitude is the exact reason there is so much strife in the country. People are to "cowardice" as the current attorney general has stated to address race. I like that word,COWARD,because it describes so many people in America.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:07:01 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 9:00:09 AM, kelly224 wrote:
You are getting me totally wrong.
No, if he's getting you wrong, then you're expressing yourself totally wrong.

This thread is turning into bash the angry black man,which I am not.
Really....Really?

I'm speaking from my point of view
As an angry black man.

as you and the rest of the folks here are doing.
No, we here at DDO pride ourselves with logic and factual information.

When others(meaning other than black) tell our story,we get it from an outside source
Protip: No one else is telling your whining, moaning story.

when a ANYONE tells it it is whining and moaning.
fix'd

I like that word,COWARD,because it describes so many people in America.
Here's three words for you, ILLOGICAL, WHINING, EXCUSES
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:07:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 9:00:09 AM, kelly224 wrote:
You are getting me totally wrong. I am not saying that don't exist,I asked how many can YOU name as far as black intellects.

There are very few people which i would name as being black intellects, just like there are very few people which i would name as being White, or Chinese, or Japanese intellects. Infact, there are probably fewer Chinese intellects that i could name, compared to the number of Black intellects i could name.

The point being, race has nothing to do with this. Blacks, whites, chinese, japanese, all across the board have struggled throughout history via some sort of oppression/genocide/slavery, and all these, even today, struggle with becoming rich. These rich societies are segregating themselves from the rest of community, but you dont have to be white to get in, infact, even if you were white, if you were also poor, you wouldnt be able to get in either way. This is why your argument fails.

This thread is turning into bash the angry black man,which I am not. I'm speaking from my point of view,as you and the rest of the folks here are doing.
We are not critisizing your point of view... Well, maybe we are. But what we are concentrating on, isnt your point of view, but rather, your lack of ability to accept the fact that your point of view is wrong.

When others(meaning other than black) tell our story,we get it from an outside source,but when a black person tells it it is whining and moaning.

But you ARE whining and moaning. How many chinese do we see on this page, infact, this entire forums, who has made a post about how the chinese have been oppressed by the white man, 200 years ago? How many Jews do we see in this forums, posting about how they were systematically persecuted and slaughtered like lambs in concentration camps?

This arrogant,and pompous attitude is the exact reason there is so much strife in the country. People are to "cowardice" as the current attorney general has stated to address race. I like that word,COWARD,because it describes so many people in America.

No, it has nothing to do with cowardice. It has to do with the fact that this is ALL IN THE PAST. This has been long done. Finished with. If a Jew were here, complaining about the holocaust, i would say the same thing to him as i do to you. Get over it. It happend. It happened a long time ago. It isnt happening today. Weve moved past this already.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:09:39 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 9:00:09 AM, kelly224 wrote:

When others(meaning other than black) tell our story,we get it from an outside source,but when a black person tells it it is whining and moaning.

You can imagine why it's a bit irritating to hear a black person talk about racism now that slavery has been abolished, Jim Crow Laws are a thing of the past, blacks have the right to vote, we have a black President in the White House, and most "African-Americans" who complain about racism have never encountered actual "oppression", nor have they ever seen the shores of Africa.

This arrogant,and pompous attitude is the exact reason there is so much strife in the country. People are to "cowardice" as the current attorney general has stated to address race. I like that word,COWARD,because it describes so many people in America.

What? When was the last time you've ever heard anything about racial violence between blacks and whites? Can you recall the last lynching? Have you ever been to a blacks-only school? Are you forced to sit in the back of the bus? No, I don't think so. It's not that people are scared to discuss race; it's that race is no longer the issue that it used to be.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:15:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Kelly, You mentioned in another thread how blacks have a hard time identifying with a culture in the US, and I said how I thought they did generally identify with a culture, namely either devout churchmen, or devout "gangsta".

I think this line of questioning is the most on the mark when asking why there remains disparity amongst the races.

Now straight up racism is, I'm sure, still a factor of some importance, and Govt. sponsored racism only ended around 50 years ago, but one would imagine it should tail off, as it has been, with more and more examples of societally succesful and stable black people.

You suggest that Blacks have no culture which they identify with, I hold that they do, but that these are deficient and do not meet their needs. Church is better, but does not provide intellectual stimulation, only a guide to decent behavior. The culture of poor black city people however is generally one which is self destructive and which does not value hard work, because of a conception that the world is a tough place where everyone's against you anyway, and you've got to Take what you can get.

This impoverished culture perhaps has it's roots in racism, and government sanctioned discrimination, but it is a reality of Today, and it would seem is today's biggest obstacle to Black people generally gaining social equity.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:17:51 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Thomas Sowell http://en.wikipedia.org...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:21:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 9:17:51 AM, mongoose wrote:
Thomas Sowell http://en.wikipedia.org...

Its all Wikipedia's fault they are spreading lies and racism to oppress the black man!
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:23:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 8:52:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am ill so hopefully I will express myself properly.

Reperations is a very murky subject.

Where is the demand by black activists for compensation from the African nations who started the slave trade? Bear in mind at the begnning of the slave trade, it was blacks selling blacks (criminals, prisoners of war) to whites. Without this market demand, which admittedly the whites created such poor unfortunates would have been murdered. That obviously does not make it okay, but it is surely food for thought?

The demand for reperations arise from the natural recognition of equality. The movement for equality is obviously a great thing, however equality should be about establishing a level playing field. Sure some people will do better due to their natural abilities, but everyone has a chance to take part regardless of silly arbitary distinctions such as skin colour.

Unfortunately the other side, the darker side of this equality movement is more about simply taking stuff away from what is regarded as the unfairly dominant group. That ultimately leads to it's form of racism.

Reperations are best 'paid back' by the pursuit of genuine equality of opportunity and the recognition of past misdeeds.

Also how far back do you go? Should Britain sue Morrocco for compensation for the Arab slavers that plied the coasts of cornwall? Should spain sue for the Arab and Black slave owners during the time of Al-Andalus?

To me this smacks very much of 'white guilt'. My ancestors (as far as I can tell) were very much working class, they were not slave traders, I do not live in a manor built of slavery and genocide though my country certainly profitted. Should I feel guilty for the slave trade? If so should I feel guilt as a human being, guilt as a white person? Surely it should be the former if at all?

Sorry for this random ramble, but yes to me the slave trade IS something that we need to get over, we do need to draw a line under it and recognise it as history. So long as we have learnt the lessons that is. (and actually to destroy my point we have not yet done so entirely).

Thanks for your response,very educated in it's content. I'm not asking for reparations,but equality as you stated. I know that blacks actually aided The people who participated in the slave trade.
In no way am I saying keep rehashing the wound,what I am saying is let's move on as people.
When we disregard the plight of others,we have a serious problem.
There are plenty of races as I have aid that endure hardships,and I am not trying to minimalize it.
It takes compassion to empathize with another,which is a character trait many in our society are lacking.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 9:27:40 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/25/2009 9:23:36 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Here is where I ignore everyone else

Btw if you're so educated, do you know who the four fathers this thread is referring to actually are?

LOL
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com