Jump to topic:

Boy calls out education system

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 5:53:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Apparently he asked his teacher why she was giving them packets instead of teaching and she told him to quit "bitchingg". Here's the result:
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 6:04:31 PM
It's really isn't so much calling out the education system, but calling out a teacher that really suxs. I don't think its fair to say that this applies to the entire education system (although I do have problems with the education system).

Apparently the backstory for this was that the kid asked a question on the packet and she told him to quit his b1tching or something along those lines.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 6:49:56 PM
We played that in my World History class yesterday (yes, that's what we were doing 6 DAYS FROM THE FRIGGIN AP TEST). I honestly don't have an opinion on it. Plenty of my teachers are animated and talk in front of class (e.g. my WHAP teacher) but still suck. So, it's not necessarily a cure-all.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 6:52:58 PM
At 5/10/2013 6:49:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
We played that in my World History class yesterday (yes, that's what we were doing 6 DAYS FROM THE FRIGGIN AP TEST).

WHAP is easy you'll nail it

I honestly don't have an opinion on it. Plenty of my teachers are animated and talk in front of class (e.g. my WHAP teacher) but still suck. So, it's not necessarily a cure-all.

This is very true, but it's hard to imagine a teacher doing well by simply handing out packets
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 6:59:45 PM
The proper response to the kid would be to tear off his head and stuff it up his ***. In this age of namby-pamby political correctness, that's probably not viable, except maybe in Texas.

The kid complains that it is the teacher's job to motivate him so that he will want to learn. Sorry, being a student is a job. He has to learn the material whether the teacher is good at motivating him or not. He never has the right to be disrespectful. If he thinks he is too good for the school, then he should be allowed to proceed on his own.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:04:04 PM
At 5/10/2013 6:52:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
We played that in my World History class yesterday (yes, that's what we were doing 6 DAYS FROM THE FRIGGIN AP TEST).

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have a ton of studying to do before I get anywhere on that test. You don't understand. We've been doing nothing all year, and we're barely reviewing right now. I don't know what the Mongol's did. Everything I know about the Enlightenment comes from APUSH. I don't know what the arabs did or what the sunni and shias were. I don't know what happened during the French Revolution. I don't know anything about the Mayans or the African civilizations or the colonization of Serbia..... This weekend will be hell

I honestly don't have an opinion on it. Plenty of my teachers are animated and talk in front of class (e.g. my WHAP teacher) but still suck. So, it's not necessarily a cure-all.

This is very true, but it's hard to imagine a teacher doing well by simply handing out packets

I honestly don't believe that teachers affect my grade either way. I'm a visual learner so I just need a competent textbook and I'll be fine.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:07:49 PM
At 5/10/2013 6:59:45 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The proper response to the kid would be to tear off his head and stuff it up his ***. In this age of namby-pamby political correctness, that's probably not viable, except maybe in Texas.

The kid complains that it is the teacher's job to motivate him so that he will want to learn. Sorry, being a student is a job. He has to learn the material whether the teacher is good at motivating him or not. He never has the right to be disrespectful. If he thinks he is too good for the school, then he should be allowed to proceed on his own.

A teacher is not an article of veneration. A teacher has to meet the student half way; hard-headed logic like the one you just forwarded is poisonous in an academic environment.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:09:43 PM
At 5/10/2013 7:06:40 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/10/2013 7:04:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
We've been doing nothing all year
Oh, hard to open a text-book on your own?

I've gotten through my high school career by reading the textbook. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Are you just trying to be obnoxious and cynical for the sake of attention, again?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:09:52 PM

this occurred in Texas in very poor school district near mine

I think you misunderstand, his complaint was about the teachers refusal to teach and insistence of just handing out packets. Could he have handled it more maturely? Probably. But he's ultimately right. What's the point of compulsory education if the teachers dont at least attempt t teach the kids some things...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:11:33 PM
At 5/10/2013 7:04:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/10/2013 6:52:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have a ton of studying to do before I get anywhere on that test. You don't understand. We've been doing nothing all year, and we're barely reviewing right now. I don't know what the Mongol's did. Everything I know about the Enlightenment comes from APUSH. I don't know what the arabs did or what the sunni and shias were. I don't know what happened during the French Revolution. I don't know anything about the Mayans or the African civilizations or the colonization of Serbia..... This weekend will be hell

Well that is kind of bad... Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun with the Princeton review this weekend (or whatever study book you have). The essays may save you though

I honestly don't believe that teachers affect my grade either way. I'm a visual learner so I just need a competent textbook and I'll be fine.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:15:36 PM
At 5/10/2013 7:09:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
I think you misunderstand, his complaint was about the teachers refusal to teach and insistence of just handing out packets.
Indeed. This method of teaching is as boring as anything, and from my observation, very few students get much out of it. The kid from the video only did one right thing - to spark attention from the public. This is where bad behavior on your local stage turns into national victory -- at least, if the authorities pay attention.

In general this kind of behavior is ridiculous. Many students open their mouths like this only to disturb any educational process that is going on. The proper solution is to garner ideas from various students, talk to the principal, and bring forth suggestions. I once had a maths teacher that few, except for myself, liked -- none ever said a word directly to him, but a detailed letter to the principal got him fired. That's one way to bring change.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:18:22 PM
And Ike -- I happen not to treat flame-wars as a vitamin, so I'll leave it be. If a question offends you, perhaps you should grow a pair, Ma'am.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:58:49 PM

And it is the teacher's job to teach, not to hand out packets and sit on their *ss all day. We actually pay teachers, you know. With taxpayer money. We expect them to teach, and to do a good job of it.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:59:01 PM
I didn't see the teacher, so I can't comment as to whether the student had a valid point or not. I am inclined to believe that he did, but whether he did or didn't is irrelevant. His method wasn't the way to handle the problem, no matter how entertaining it may have been. The kid also needs a haircut.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 8:42:59 PM

The kid complains that it is the teacher's job to motivate him so that he will want to learn. Sorry, being a student is a job.

Being a student is a job, you're right, but it's also the teacher's job to teach, not just hand out packets. She isn't being payed to do that, for fucks sake, if I knew that all I had to do was find print out packets online (maybe the material was already even available), I would take her job. (For all we know, she might have students trade and grade the packets or something, so maybe she's not even grading).

He has to learn the material whether the teacher is good at motivating him or not.

You're missing the point, he never said he was refusing to do the packet or learn the material, the teacher told him to quit bitching because he asked a question about his work, that is pathetic.

He never has the right to be disrespectful. If he thinks he is too good for the school, then he should be allowed to proceed on his own.

First of all, I think you have a negative bias towards him because he is not afraid to act and dress like an individual, that's just a possibility, not for sure. Second of all, it seems as if the teacher disrespected him first. Not sure how you assume he thought he was too good for school. Because getting a packet with no instruction from the teacher isn't school, he could probably do a better job of teaching himself material.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:02:15 PM
I think in reality this situation is nothing more than a reflection of a 1960's liberal fantasy (pertaining to education) which failed to materialize. That kid should have learned a trade, rather than been forced to be in a classroom.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:09:11 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:02:15 PM, YYW wrote:
I think in reality this situation is nothing more than a reflection of a 1960's liberal fantasy (pertaining to education) which failed to materialize. That kid should have learned a trade, rather than been forced to be in a classroom.

But (at least in my educational expereince), the teacher handing out packets without any instruction and making us do them was not typical. It might have happened when we had a substitute teacher, but I never had had my actual teacher do something like that.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:29:06 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:09:11 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

But (at least in my educational expereince), the teacher handing out packets without any instruction and making us do them was not typical. It might have happened when we had a substitute teacher, but I never had had my actual teacher do something like that.

It depends on the school; but the "worksheet" style instruction is one of the many reasons I lament the rise of modern textbook companies (like McGraw Hill and Pearson). They are to blame.
Tsar of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:32:19 PM
Looked like just an average punk kid in some high school class for the slow kids (not the mentally handicapped kids, but the kids who were academically behind even the average kids).
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:34:29 PM
So its not fair to say he should have to take up a trade, maybe he wants to get an education, but isn't being given a fair chance.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:35:20 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:29:06 PM, YYW wrote:

It depends on the school; but the "worksheet" style instruction is one of the many reasons I lament the rise of modern textbook companies (like McGraw Hill and Pearson). They are to blame.

Blame the teacher too. Any teacher with half a brain should realize that a textbook doesn't substitute for an education.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:35:48 PM

I remember the packets, but they were usually given w/ instruction. They were still super-lame though and mainly just busy work.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:40:41 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:35:20 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Blame the teacher too. Any teacher with half a brain should realize that a textbook doesn't substitute for an education.

While I grant you that the teacher is probably incompetent, the reason that incompitent teachers can be hired is because of the products of companies like McGraw Hill and Pearson. The teacher, in other words, is a problem symptomatic of the bigger problem - but not the actual problem itself. I'll maintain though that entirely too many kids go to school, and entirely too few learn trades.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:42:43 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I remember the packets, but they were usually given w/ instruction. They were still super-lame though and mainly just busy work.

Busy work is pointless, though -because the point of "worksheets" is "completion" not "comprehension," and it is my general experience -at least dealing with students taught in American public schools- that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:43:42 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:40:41 PM, YYW wrote:

While I grant you that the teacher is probably incompetent, the reason that incompitent teachers can be hired is because of the products of companies like McGraw Hill and Pearson.

The teaching field should be more competitive, if teacher tenure was abolished, there wouldn't be as many incompetent teachers to start.

The teacher, in other words, is a problem symptomatic of the bigger problem - but not the actual problem itself. I'll maintain though that entirely too many kids go to school, and entirely too few learn trades.

I agree that if someone doesn't want an education and isn't going to try at all in school, there is no point in keeping that person in school. I agree with compulsary education, only up until the 6th grade the person can at least do basic math, read and write.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 9:52:48 PM
At 5/10/2013 9:43:42 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 5/10/2013 9:40:41 PM, YYW wrote:

While I grant you that the teacher is probably incompetent, the reason that incompitent teachers can be hired is because of the products of companies like McGraw Hill and Pearson.

The teaching field should be more competitive, if teacher tenure was abolished, there wouldn't be as many incompetent teachers to start.

It's not about tenure (which is in reality non-existant in most high schools) it's about (1) teachers unions protecting worthless teachers, (2) incompetent administration in public school's bureaucratic structures, (3) standardized curriculums set by politicians. But even if tenure were a thing as widespread as it is believed to be in high schools, for those teachers who truly deserve it, it is a good thing for a multitude of reasons we can discuss later. The problem, in other words, is not that tenure may be granted, but that undeserving teachers get it.

The teacher, in other words, is a problem symptomatic of the bigger problem - but not the actual problem itself. I'll maintain though that entirely too many kids go to school, and entirely too few learn trades.

I agree that if someone doesn't want an education and isn't going to try at all in school, there is no point in keeping that person in school. I agree with compulsary education, only up until the 6th grade the person can at least do basic math, read and write.

It's not about trying or not trying. It's about creating an educational system that prepares people to occupy an important role (to work) in a balanced economy. I'm not saying that all people should be uneducated, but that most shouldn't receive a liberal arts education.
Tsar of DDO