Jump to topic:

Detroit Police Suck, Private Firm Steps In

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:06:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Detroit police department stops responding to 911 calls. A private firm fills the gap.

What is your opinion on private rights enforcement agencies?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:13:09 PM
At 5/12/2013 6:12:43 PM, Idiot wrote:
But that guy is black...

You idiot!
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:36:29 PM
God bless the rich and their defense agencies.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:46:22 PM
At 5/12/2013 6:36:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

They help the people who cannot afford their services for free. I didn't expect you to watch the video or make a rational reply. http://youtu.be...
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:56:17 PM
Privatization could lead to black people collecting quite the military strength. And especially given their physical advantages. I dunno, are we sure that's a very good idea? I mean they really are so perfect for protective purposes, and could build themselves quite an army out of that. And then one of them has been president..... And I actually did think that "You didn't build that" slip was just too bad to be true, too...

I'm just saying...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:10:26 PM
Nothing like giving justice a price...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:17:30 PM
At 5/12/2013 6:46:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

They help the people who cannot afford their services for free. I didn't expect you to watch the video or make a rational reply. http://youtu.be...

Sorry. I'm out of those for today. :/
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:41:16 PM
If detroits situation is anything like Chicago when it comes to police being overwhelmed then I see the benefits of integrating privatized elements.

The question is what kind of relationship exists between the firm and the police. It would be unacceptable if the firm is the ONLY source of protection for a geographic area. However, there's nothing wrong with using them as a supplemental force for crime loads over police capacity.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:23:26 AM
It would be unacceptable if the firm is the ONLY source of protection for a geographic area. However, there's nothing wrong with using them as a supplemental force for crime loads over police capacity.

Just to play devil's advocate to try and pick your brain, what's wrong with them being the only source of protection? Or the federal police being a supplement to the private firms?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 1:47:37 AM
At 5/13/2013 12:23:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:
It would be unacceptable if the firm is the ONLY source of protection for a geographic area. However, there's nothing wrong with using them as a supplemental force for crime loads over police capacity.

Just to play devil's advocate to try and pick your brain, what's wrong with them being the only source of protection? Or the federal police being a supplement to the private firms?

If there's only the private firm as protection, you create a defense monopoly for them in concentrated areas. There would nothing be stopping contractors from abusing their privileges (see: Blackwater).

Ideally,I see private firms acting as force multipliers for active organizations instead of being brought on to independently engage in action. We wouldn't have had the Blackwater scandals we had if private military contractors were separated from their little wolf packs and put under the direct command of active soldiers (we'd just have the military scandals to deal with).

Plus, like with contractors in Iraq, the more we come to depend on them, the more leverage they gain over the government. Making them force multipliers under police supervision instead of independent units minimizes the firms ability to shape police policy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:03:53 AM
I think it's fairly obvious that the guy in the video makes a good first impression, and the results he claims to have achieved speak for themselves. I think it's also fairly obvious that for a host of reasons the Detroit police force may not be adequate to meet the demands upon it, and it's equally plausible that a private firm would step in to fill the gap. So, indeed, this private firm appears to be doing some good.

What concerns me is the precedent for private security this sets. I a job I once held I remember having interacted with bodyguards (some private, some not private) in varying capacities and while some were good at their job, these were the kind of guys that one would only want to be a bodyguard. Because of the role differences between law enforcement and private security, I'm cautious to mix those together into one profession. That said, while I can on on for days about international securitization, the logistics of private security are outside any area I'm really qualified to speak on though.

It should be mentioned, though, that (1) the fact that private security firms are necessary to protect private citizens in the way described in the video shows principally that the government has failed, but (2) while government may have failed in this case, this is not an argument which is sufficient to establish any basis or grounding for claims that might suggest that "all" law enforcement activities or even most should be privatized. Why? The line between the vigilante who prudently serves his community and malicious vigilante whose activity is itself corrosive to law and order is very fine.
Tsar of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 5:55:10 AM
Mercenaries will abandon you if they can make a profit . . . It's best to have the people create things like neighborhood watches to defend themselves
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:21:58 AM
At 5/12/2013 7:10:26 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Nothing like giving justice a price...

You mean like how Unions protect bad teachers and give education a price?
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 8:43:56 AM
Seriously guys, does no one else think the blacks might try to take over? I mean looking at this as if it were a game of Risk, they are rather well situated. Do we really want to offer them opportunity to bolster their forces?
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 8:45:07 AM
I'm pretty sure the makers of Risk were clued in on this possibility and that that's why there's no black army. Sorry, appeals to authority work.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:16:39 PM
At 5/12/2013 7:17:30 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 5/12/2013 6:46:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Sorry. I'm out of those for today. :/

I understand. Sometimes I wish I could just punch people instead of replying. Usually only occurs when "debating" resource based economy adherents and MOSLEMS.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:23:30 PM
At 5/13/2013 5:55:10 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Mercenaries will abandon you if they can make a profit... It's best to have the people create things like neighborhood watches to defend themselves

What do mercenaries have to do with the topic at hand?
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:26:55 PM
WSA do you remember the time when you went, "pwooahh I actually DON'T like government"? I don't think you considered the blacks taking over, did you?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:31:08 PM
At 5/13/2013 12:26:55 PM, Idiot wrote:
WSA do you remember the time when you went, "pwooahh I actually DON'T like government"? I don't think you considered the blacks taking over, did you?

What a horrifying prospect! They have too much melanin in their skin to rule.
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:36:35 PM
There would be black vengeance in the night. I think you're just rebelling against the world, WSA.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:25:00 PM
Let's look at private firms track record.

Blackwater: Runs people over while laughing about it with loud metal playing.

Craft International: Orchestrated the Boston bombing.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:32:49 PM
At 5/13/2013 2:25:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Then what do you have in when it comes to real solutions to our problems? Surely if you are able to criticize something you must know of a better alternative.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:33:56 PM

Also, proof beyond a reasonable doubt or it didn't happen.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:47:04 PM

Everything is not a conspiracy dude, but I share your distrust of merc groups. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
#BlackLivesMatter
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 3:06:00 PM
At 5/13/2013 2:33:56 PM, drhead wrote:

Also, proof beyond a reasonable doubt or it didn't happen.

Proof? I have the video of Blackwater running over women with rock music playing:
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat