Jump to topic:

Tell me what you think

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:49:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is not supposed to be a troll topic. Though, I do like to see the opinions people make of me when I say this. Tell me the pros and cons if you will, or just your plain overall opinion.
Here it is:
When I have children, I plan on homeschooling them through elementary school. I plan to educate them on politics, debating, and a variety of other topics aside from the basic math and English. (As far as English goes, I will have them read things like political books, satires about society, or gun manuals.) I will raise them to KNOW that being gay is ungodly and is a choice and that they should not be held with any form of high regard. I will not teach them to be racist, but to be judgmental of people. I will have them be socially conservative and teach them the economic philosophy of conservatives and how it well surpasses that of the liberals. I will teach them that political correctness is completely overrated and that it is okay to offend people. I would hope that I get many parent-teacher conferences so that I may get my views into the public school system.
Furthermore, I will raise my children to be incredibly smart and will have them at a school level far higher than what they should be at. I will ensure that their grades would be good so that teachers do not look for any excuse to expel them.
Post your opinions please. This is what I actually plan to do. If you can think of a way to improve my plan, please say it.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:03:24 PM
Have you met FREEDO?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:51:04 PM
If I am not mistaken, he is surrounded by conservative family-members and was home-schooled. I would venture a guess that his parents had intentions similar to you, but
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:39:07 PM
At 5/12/2013 8:49:16 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
This is not supposed to be a troll topic. Though, I do like to see the opinions people make of me when I say this. Tell me the pros and cons if you will, or just your plain overall opinion.
Here it is:
When I have children, I plan on homeschooling them through elementary school. I plan to educate them on politics, debating, and a variety of other topics aside from the basic math and English.

Do you think you're qualified to do that? If your children's best interest is what you're concerned about, the choice to homeschool them is an action that indicates a parental belief that the parent is more qualified to prepare their children to lead fulfilling lives in the world and be successful than public or private schools. I don't know if private school is something that is financially feasible for you, but I digress.

I would also suggest that you take into consideration the practical impact that homeschooling will have on you, on your life, your career and (if applicable) your marriage. Homeschooling is a huge time commitment, and it's very uncommon to be able to sufficiently lead daily instruction while maintaining a career.

Also, think about the impact that the choice to homeschool will have on your children's social development. One of the most significant benefits of being in school is the chance to make friends, to meet new people and to learn to form bonds with other people. The actual facts that your kids may learn are important, but learning how to interact with others is even more valuable -and that is something that would be negatively impacted by the choice to homeschool.

(As far as English goes, I will have them read things like political books, satires about society, or gun manuals.)

I trust that whatever curriculum you would decide would be more expansive than this, but before delving into the substance of what you intend to teach, it's probably best to first decide if this is a decision that is really in your or your kids best interest.

I will raise them to KNOW that being gay is ungodly and is a choice and that they should not be held with any form of high regard.

Obviously I disagree, but I'd be very interested to know why it is important to you that your kids learn to hate gay people? What is the point? Why?

I will not teach them to be racist, but to be judgmental of people. I will have them be socially conservative and teach them the economic philosophy of conservatives and how it well surpasses that of the liberals.

So, essentially you want your kids to share your same values. That's understandable, but my question is this: Is the choice to homeschool your kids because you are afraid that if your kids saw the world for themselves that they would not share your values?

I will teach them that political correctness is completely overrated and that it is okay to offend people. I would hope that I get many parent-teacher conferences so that I may get my views into the public school system.

What are your views about the public school system, and if you don't mind my asking, on what basis were they formed? I'm no champion of American public education -by any measure- but I'd be very interested in learning why you think it necessary to not expose your kids to the educational system as it is.

Furthermore, I will raise my children to be incredibly smart and will have them at a school level far higher than what they should be at. I will ensure that their grades would be good so that teachers do not look for any excuse to expel them.

And you think that you can do that? Do you have teaching experience? The reason I ask is because teaching is very hard work, and before I actually did it myself I never understood the intensity of the challenge. I think that most assume that if they know something, they can teach others about it. Some can, sure -but almost none realize how challenging it is. I'll get into the details about this later.

Post your opinions please. This is what I actually plan to do. If you can think of a way to improve my plan, please say it.

Before I give my opinion, I'd like to understand your reasoning for this decision better. I have an idea, but I don't think that I have enough information right now to say what I think about what you've said at this time. I'll look forward to your response.
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:42:33 PM
I will raise them to KNOW that being gay is ungodly and is a choice
Think twice about that Ma'am. You can teach them never to live by the lifestyle, but you will probably never remove their desires (should they have them), NOR would it help for them to know they can never speak to you about it. Teach them that you're there no matter who they are, and that if certain things are not acceptable to you, that you have a responsibility as a loving parent to help your children cope with it, and not just hide it.

Think, Ma'am. Don't suppress such a sensitive issue.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 2:11:19 AM
At 5/12/2013 10:42:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
Think twice about that Ma'am. You can teach them never to live by the lifestyle, but you will probably never remove their desires (should they have them), NOR would it help for them to know they can never speak to you about it. Teach them that you're there no matter who they are, and that if certain things are not acceptable to you, that you have a responsibility as a loving parent to help your children cope with it, and not just hide it.

My question to Cowboy would be: "Do you think that by teaching your kids [belief X] that they will invariably believe you?"

My follow up question would be: "What if your son/daughter is/chooses to be gay? What then?"
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:30:29 AM
Here it is:
When I have children, I plan on homeschooling them through elementary school. I plan to educate them on politics, debating, and a variety of other topics aside from the basic math and English. (As far as English goes, I will have them read things like political books, satires about society, or gun manuals.) I will raise them to KNOW that being gay is ungodly and is a choice and that they should not be held with any form of high regard. I will not teach them to be racist, but to be judgmental of people. I will have them be socially conservative and teach them the economic philosophy of conservatives and how it well surpasses that of the liberals. I will teach them that political correctness is completely overrated and that it is okay to offend people. I would hope that I get many parent-teacher conferences so that I may get my views into the public school system.

Don't raise them with a bias, as I guarantee they will turn out flaming liberals when they become teens. That's how this generation and probably the next will be.

Give them a fair, balanced education and allow them to make their own political decisions, don't indoctrinate them.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 11:14:06 AM
At 5/12/2013 10:39:07 PM, YYW wrote:
Here it is:
When I have children, I plan on homeschooling them through elementary school. I plan to educate them on politics, debating, and a variety of other topics aside from the basic math and English.

Do you think you're qualified to do that? If your children's best interest is what you're concerned about, the choice to homeschool them is an action that indicates a parental belief that the parent is more qualified to prepare their children to lead fulfilling lives in the world and be successful than public or private schools. I don't know if private school is something that is financially feasible for you, but I digress.

I would also suggest that you take into consideration the practical impact that homeschooling will have on you, on your life, your career and (if applicable) your marriage. Homeschooling is a huge time commitment, and it's very uncommon to be able to sufficiently lead daily instruction while maintaining a career.

Also, think about the impact that the choice to homeschool will have on your children's social development. One of the most significant benefits of being in school is the chance to make friends, to meet new people and to learn to form bonds with other people. The actual facts that your kids may learn are important, but learning how to interact with others is even more valuable -and that is something that would be negatively impacted by the choice to homeschool.

(As far as English goes, I will have them read things like political books, satires about society, or gun manuals.)

I trust that whatever curriculum you would decide would be more expansive than this, but before delving into the substance of what you intend to teach, it's probably best to first decide if this is a decision that is really in your or your kids best interest.

I will raise them to KNOW that being gay is ungodly and is a choice and that they should not be held with any form of high regard.

Obviously I disagree, but I'd be very interested to know why it is important to you that your kids learn to hate gay people? What is the point? Why?

I will not teach them to be racist, but to be judgmental of people. I will have them be socially conservative and teach them the economic philosophy of conservatives and how it well surpasses that of the liberals.

So, essentially you want your kids to share your same values. That's understandable, but my question is this: Is the choice to homeschool your kids because you are afraid that if your kids saw the world for themselves that they would not share your values?

I will teach them that political correctness is completely overrated and that it is okay to offend people. I would hope that I get many parent-teacher conferences so that I may get my views into the public school system.

What are your views about the public school system, and if you don't mind my asking, on what basis were they formed? I'm no champion of American public education -by any measure- but I'd be very interested in learning why you think it necessary to not expose your kids to the educational system as it is.

And you think that you can do that? Do you have teaching experience? The reason I ask is because teaching is very hard work, and before I actually did it myself I never understood the intensity of the challenge. I think that most assume that if they know something, they can teach others about it. Some can, sure -but almost none realize how challenging it is. I'll get into the details about this later.

Before I give my opinion, I'd like to understand your reasoning for this decision better. I have an idea, but I don't think that I have enough information right now to say what I think about what you've said at this time. I'll look forward to your response.

I will answer these questions.
Personall, I have plenty of tutoring experience and am a good teacher. Not to mention that in the small homeschool environment, my children can learn faster.
Yes, learning what I teach would be in my children's best interest. They can be able to defend their opinions on politics. They can learn important political information. They will be able to understand the country and analyze everything they see around them.
Furthermore, friends are temporary. Knowledge is permanent. I will put them into public school when they start middle school regardless. They will have plenty of time for friends then.
I understand that it would be hard to balance work and teaching, but I would figure out a way. Even if that way is starting school when I get home from work.
My opinion on public school: I do not like the basic principal of the school. However, my goal is not for my children to think like me, it is for them to influence others. Therefore, I will put them into the school system. Elementary school is not effective for my children because that is when the training of children to think that peace is good and that violence is never a good answer. Furthermore, it teaches that people should help others. I do not want my kids to learn this. I want my kids to teach my way to other kids.
I do not want my children to like gays because being gay is a choice. It is people consciously going against their morals to like someone of the same gender.
So know, I am not scared that my children woudl think differently, I want my children to be an influence on society.
Furthermore, you brought up my kids best interest. I want them to read that because literature is not important. Literature majors will never do anything important in life. I want them to be able to read nonfiction. Fiction is meaningless, nonfiction is important.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 11:21:47 AM
At 5/13/2013 7:30:29 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Here it is:

Don't raise them with a bias, as I guarantee they will turn out flaming liberals when they become teens. That's how this generation and probably the next will be.

Give them a fair, balanced education and allow them to make their own political decisions, don't indoctrinate them.

My plan isn't really about making sure that they have my views. It is about them being able to influence others. It is about them doing their part to ensure that society does not turn into a bunch of flaming liberals.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 11:21:55 AM
Here it is:

Heres an idea, Dont do it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:42:37 PM
At 5/13/2013 11:21:55 AM, imabench wrote:
Here it is:

Society needs people like my future children. Society shoud see logic and reasoning. That logic and reasoning can come from my kids. My kids will influence your kids in the future, and clearly, that needs to happen.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:43:01 PM
At 5/13/2013 11:21:55 AM, imabench wrote:
Here it is:

Society needs people like my future children. Society shoud see logic and reasoning. That logic and reasoning can come from my kids. My kids will influence your kids in the future, and clearly, that needs to happen.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:44:36 PM
At 5/12/2013 10:42:33 PM, Mirza wrote:

But I will not be there if they make bad choices. I will disown them if they choose to be gay. They must know the weight put on every decision they make.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:45:41 PM
My follow up question would be: "What if your son/daughter is/chooses to be gay? What then?"

I would disown them. People choose to be gay. I they make that poor choice, I will not support it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:47:26 PM
At 5/13/2013 12:45:41 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

I would disown them. People choose to be gay. I they make that poor choice, I will not support it.

Do you have kids now?
Tsar of DDO
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:47:45 PM
I wonder has anyone ever looked into the likelihood of spanked children turning gay.
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:49:07 PM
At 5/13/2013 12:47:26 PM, YYW wrote:

Do you have kids now?

Hey dude, were you spanked as a child?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 1:08:47 PM
Guys remember, if he doesn't have kids then we're still saved from the stupid.

In the off chance he does have kids, I would DEFINITELY NOT -wink wink nudge nudge- support a DDO-led attempt to rescue those kids to save them from the awful life they would've had.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:28:28 PM

So when did you choose to be sexually attracted to women?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:49:24 PM
At 5/13/2013 7:28:28 PM, drhead wrote:

You do not choose to be sexually attracted to people of the opposite gender. However, if you are gay than you chose to be attracted to other people of the same sex. Being attracted to the other sex is natural. Being attracted to people of the same sex is a choice.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:55:52 PM
At 5/13/2013 7:49:24 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

You do not choose to be sexually attracted to people of the opposite gender. However, if you are gay than you chose to be attracted to other people of the same sex. Being attracted to the other sex is natural. Being attracted to people of the same sex is a choice.

Having diabetes is a choice? Because that's not natural, either.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 4:09:40 AM
At 5/12/2013 9:51:04 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
If I am not mistaken, he is surrounded by conservative family-members and was home-schooled. I would venture a guess that his parents had intentions similar to you, but

Isn't FREEDO a 'she'?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 4:13:09 AM
Here it is:

My friend and I have bee doing a mock calculation that, should our parent never send us to school, tutor, university etc. and save all those money they they invest in our education for investment in stock market, our income will approximately be ten times of what we earned as salary today by dividend alone.

D
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:16:20 AM
At 5/13/2013 7:49:24 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

Alright, here's the problem with this. First, a list of things we know about gays: (I'm assuming these points are not being contested)
- Are attracted to the same sex in a similar fashion to how we are attracted to the opposite sex
- Are not attracted to the opposite sex, in a similar fashion to how we are not attracted to the same sex

Now, if people don't choose to be attracted to the opposite sex, why aren't gays attracted to the opposite sex? Furthermore, how could they see themselves in a same-sex relationship any easier than you do?

This shows the situation as at an impasse. You can't think how they think, and they can't think how you think.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 6:51:14 PM
It's true.
I live in a small conservative christian town.
I was in a conservative christian homeschooling program.
All my family and friends were conservative christian.
It was before I even became highly involved in the internet.
I somehow chose a different path.
I think my scenario is mostly an anomaly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 6:59:33 PM
At 5/14/2013 6:51:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It's true.

Ditto. Except for the first one.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:02:02 PM
At 5/14/2013 6:59:33 PM, phantom wrote:
At 5/14/2013 6:51:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It's true.

Ditto. Except for the first one.

I was a missionary kid though.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:15:48 PM
Not actually CALLING it this. However, it SOUNDS like this is kind of political indoctrination. If I'm wrong, let me know--like, if you want to educate your children about politics from many perspectives. But it sounds like you want to essentially teach them one political school of thought is correct.

If you do want to do that: why not allow your kids to explore political ideologies on their own/decide what they believe on their own?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus