Jump to topic:

Rand Paul losing my support.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:16:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
He's just not what I was hoping he'd be. He's proving to be another politician, trying to ride his father's popularity.
Most recently he's against ending the Federal Marijuana prohibition and wants to fight gay marriage on a state by state basis.

http://reason.com...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:27:11 PM
At 5/14/2013 7:16:15 PM, lewis20 wrote:
He's just not what I was hoping he'd be. He's proving to be another politician, trying to ride his father's popularity.
Most recently he's against ending the Federal Marijuana prohibition and wants to fight gay marriage on a state by state basis.

Shame, if he wasn't going for President he might have been able to stick more to his principles.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:27:44 PM
Gtfo, he just got a bill passed that legalized hemp. Look at his voting record, come on.

Rand Paul has always been in favor of decriminalizing all drugs, he is the first person ever to get CPAC to cheer for drug decriminalization. Rand is taking small steps because he has to.

He can't just go to the podium and shout "abolish the IRS, legalize all drugs, legalize prostitution, abolish DHS, etc." His political career would be over before it started.

How come Gary Johnson can get away with saying "I don't support legalizing all drugs, the nation's not ready for it yet." Clearly.

If you don't want to judge him by his record, judge his core philosophy, he quoted Hayek and Milton Friedman on the Senate floor, that should be indication enough of where he stands.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:32:37 PM
He makes countless pro-drug statements in this video.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 7:43:51 PM
It's called pandering. You tell one group you'll keep the prohibition and tell the other group you'll get rid of it.

A consequence of politics.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:08:08 PM

I know what you mean.

Some people claimed that he flip-flopped on drones. Rand Paul responded with "Armed drones should not be used in normal crime situations. They only may only be considered in extraordinary, lethal situations where there is an ongoing, imminent threat. I described that scenario previously during my Senate filibuster. Additionally, surveillance drones should only be used with warrants and specific targets,"

This did reassure me. But also, I found out recently that Rand Paul opposes legalizing pot and all other drugs, which has crushed my impression of him as well. Now, I have nobody besides Ron Paul to admire in the GOP.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:25:26 PM
Saw this one coming. Yay disillusionment and cynicism!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:30:14 PM
At 5/14/2013 7:27:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Gtfo, he just got a bill passed that legalized hemp. Look at his voting record, come on.

Rand Paul has always been in favor of decriminalizing all drugs, he is the first person ever to get CPAC to cheer for drug decriminalization. Rand is taking small steps because he has to.

I think that this is bull sh*t. I challenge you to prove this.

He can't just go to the podium and shout "abolish the IRS, legalize all drugs, legalize prostitution, abolish DHS, etc." His political career would be over before it started.

How come Gary Johnson can get away with saying "I don't support legalizing all drugs, the nation's not ready for it yet." Clearly.

If you don't want to judge him by his record, judge his core philosophy, he quoted Hayek and Milton Friedman on the Senate floor, that should be indication enough of where he stands.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:34:49 PM
At 5/14/2013 8:25:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 12:04:13 AM
Not saying he doesn't have a good voting record, saying he just told a group of christian conservatives he didn't want to legalize pot, a position to the right of pat Buchanan by the way.
Paul is either lying and pandering hard to get elected or isn't truly as libertarian as I thought.

If he gets in office what are the odds he turns back into libertarian of old? Slim to none. There's no winning, he can't win without being a politician and he's not coming back once he becomes a politician.
His bs on gay marriage is ridiculous too, he needs to just get on and stay on the right side of history, even if it costs him a few votes to rick santorum in the primary.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 12:06:07 AM
That being said I do hope I'm wrong and geo is right, that the ends justify the means and rand does some good things. I'm just becoming less and less convinced.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:55:15 AM
At 5/15/2013 12:04:13 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Paul is either lying and pandering hard to get elected or isn't truly as libertarian as I thought.

He quoted Hayek on the Senate floor.

His bs on gay marriage is ridiculous too, he needs to just get on and stay on the right side of history, even if it costs him a few votes to rick santorum in the primary.

What bs on gay marriage? He is absolutely spot on when it comes to gay marriage.

Rand Paul: "I"m an old-fashioned traditionalist. I believe in the historic and religious definition of marriage. That being said, I"m not for eliminating contracts between adults. I think there are ways to make the tax code more neutral, so it doesn"t mention marriage. Then we don"t have to redefine what marriage is; we just don"t have marriage in the tax code."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 4:49:48 PM
At 5/15/2013 9:55:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/15/2013 12:04:13 AM, lewis20 wrote:

He quoted Hayek on the Senate floor.

Ha I forgot in your book geo, quotes make the person.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 4:55:08 PM
"I'm not advocating everyone go out and run around with no clothes on and smoke pot, I'm not a libertarian. I'm a libertarian Republican. I'm a constitutional conservative."

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 5:02:34 PM
At 5/14/2013 9:34:49 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 5/14/2013 8:25:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 5:03:05 PM
At 5/14/2013 7:43:51 PM, Wnope wrote:
It's called pandering. You tell one group you'll keep the prohibition and tell the other group you'll get rid of it.

A consequence of politics.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 6:23:33 PM
At 5/14/2013 7:27:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

http://community.us.playstation.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 3:09:55 PM

I never supported him. The more he attempts to jettison himself to a meaningful place in the American political arena (so that he can run for prez. in 2016) the more his disingenuousness will become evident.
Tsar of DDO
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 3:45:51 PM
Rand Paul never had my support.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA