Authoritarian US Universities

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 7:59:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/21/2013 2:06:06 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Are universities in the US trying to make our next generation of intellectuals authoritarian?

You decide for yourself:

http://online.wsj.com...

http://campusprogress.org...

I would have gotten a full ride if they did.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 7:57:30 AM
These are private colleges. Only the government has to respect your right to free speech, and a privately-owned, privately-run college can do what they want to as far as restricting speech goes. Most public schools give students the right to free speech to some extent (as long as it isn't used in a disruptive manner. I know schools in California do this). When it comes to private universities, however, the right to free speech is at the discretion of whoever is in charge. It's the same reason that a forum can ban people and not be in violation of free speech.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 10:01:10 AM
At 5/22/2013 7:57:30 AM, drhead wrote:
These are private colleges. Only the government has to respect your right to free speech, and a privately-owned, privately-run college can do what they want to as far as restricting speech goes. Most public schools give students the right to free speech to some extent (as long as it isn't used in a disruptive manner. I know schools in California do this). When it comes to private universities, however, the right to free speech is at the discretion of whoever is in charge. It's the same reason that a forum can ban people and not be in violation of free speech.

Do they have the right? Sure. Does it make Liberal universities look hypocritical and authoritarian? Yes.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:24:11 PM
At 5/22/2013 10:01:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/22/2013 7:57:30 AM, drhead wrote:

Do they have the right? Sure. Does it make Liberal universities look hypocritical and authoritarian? Yes.

I would point out that even Berkeley had problems that us hippies attempted to sort out.