Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Your Shakiest Political Opinion

YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:02:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:01:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That is, the one you are most likely to change.

There are lots of things I'm apathetic about, but not many views I have which are shaky.
Tsar of DDO
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:17:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, I bet if a politically intelligent person actually had a discussion with me about it, I would probably change my mind about communism. But that's because I have next to no real idea what it is. I just remember reading a brief description of idealist communism, and liking it. I'm not really into politics. I hate the entire system we have, because it is far too corrupt. And that's why I want to go live in the forests, or somewhere like Sealand.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:18:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Being pro minimum wage. I have 0 reasoning for that belief besides it just seeming good. The problem is I'm also completely apathetic toward the issue, so I haven't researched it at all. If someone I respected told me I should be con on it, I would be lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:25:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think "shaky" is the right word here but I am for gun control. I'd like to have a gun though so I might change my opinion on it. I just haven't seen many convincing arguments.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:39:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a hard time justifying public roads but I still support public roads.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:40:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:25:58 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I don't think "shaky" is the right word here but I am for gun control. I'd like to have a gun though so I might change my opinion on it. I just haven't seen many convincing arguments.

I'm with you there. I think it would be awesome to walk around with a handgun at my hip. Or to fire a browning m11919. But I think both of those things should be illegal.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:43:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:39:53 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I have a hard time justifying public roads but I still support public roads.

Would you mind explaining that one, and do you mean asphalt roads or any roads?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:48:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Gay marriage.
Not that I have an issue with it, but my whole argument is based on potential consequences that ought to be avoided. If they do not come to pass, then I was a fool.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:51:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Also, legalizing all drugs (or even any).
I work with potheads, and I see the dangers of use/overuse, so a part of me wants to keep them illegal.
My work here is, finally, done.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:56:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:43:21 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:39:53 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I have a hard time justifying public roads but I still support public roads.

Would you mind explaining that one, and do you mean asphalt roads or any roads?

Government-funded roads as opposed to private roads.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:58:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:51:01 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, legalizing all drugs (or even any).
I work with potheads, and I see the dangers of use/overuse, so a part of me wants to keep them illegal.

Trust me, as a lazy pothead, it's not the pot that makes em lazy, or stupid, or whatever. That's just the people. I'm actually more inclined to get up and do stuff when I'm high. When I'm sober, I just sit around and read all day. When I'm high, I go out and have fun, or do stuff around my house, because I just can't sit still.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:00:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:48:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Gay marriage.
Not that I have an issue with it, but my whole argument is based on potential consequences that ought to be avoided. If they do not come to pass, then I was a fool.

What potential consequences are you concerned about?
Debate.org Moderator
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:25:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A year ago I was a hard anti-statist.

Now I don't really hold any hard political opinion. I just have right-wing libertarian tendencies.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:28:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:58:45 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:51:01 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, legalizing all drugs (or even any).
I work with potheads, and I see the dangers of use/overuse, so a part of me wants to keep them illegal.

Trust me, as a lazy pothead, it's not the pot that makes em lazy, or stupid, or whatever. That's just the people. I'm actually more inclined to get up and do stuff when I'm high. When I'm sober, I just sit around and read all day. When I'm high, I go out and have fun, or do stuff around my house, because I just can't sit still.

My experience also tells me this is true. The loser stoners I know were losers long before they were stoners. Having said that, I know a few stoners who can lift almost as much as me, so I certainly wouldn't call them lazy or losers.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 7:21:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:01:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That is, the one you are most likely to change.

Probably the only conservative political opinion I have, which is anti-abortion. I have moral reasons to be against it, but not many logical reasons.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:53:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:01:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That is, the one you are most likely to change.

I've been reading about, and find myself questioning the justifications for forcing children to go to school.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:48:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 2:28:28 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:58:45 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:51:01 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, legalizing all drugs (or even any).
I work with potheads, and I see the dangers of use/overuse, so a part of me wants to keep them illegal.

Trust me, as a lazy pothead, it's not the pot that makes em lazy, or stupid, or whatever. That's just the people. I'm actually more inclined to get up and do stuff when I'm high. When I'm sober, I just sit around and read all day. When I'm high, I go out and have fun, or do stuff around my house, because I just can't sit still.

My experience also tells me this is true. The loser stoners I know were losers long before they were stoners. Having said that, I know a few stoners who can lift almost as much as me, so I certainly wouldn't call them lazy or losers.

You could be right, but I am not so sure. I deal with people at work. I see them sober, I see them high, and I see the transition when they toke up in the cooler.

I notice differences in them, to be sure.
Ironically, with my manger, when he is sober, he is unable to focus (this could be an issue of withdrawl and simply being angry he has no bud). But, when he gets high, he is more energetic, but more annoyingly unintelligent, for a while. Then he settles into a happier medium.

The point of concern? Apparently, this guy's life is a stark contrast when he is sober, which he claims is from years of use. Ergo, it makes me question if the long-term effects are worth the freedom. And this is the tamest of the drugs we are dealing with... (of course he could be lying about what he is taking)
My work here is, finally, done.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:50:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 2:48:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/24/2013 2:28:28 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:58:45 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:51:01 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, legalizing all drugs (or even any).
I work with potheads, and I see the dangers of use/overuse, so a part of me wants to keep them illegal.

Trust me, as a lazy pothead, it's not the pot that makes em lazy, or stupid, or whatever. That's just the people. I'm actually more inclined to get up and do stuff when I'm high. When I'm sober, I just sit around and read all day. When I'm high, I go out and have fun, or do stuff around my house, because I just can't sit still.

My experience also tells me this is true. The loser stoners I know were losers long before they were stoners. Having said that, I know a few stoners who can lift almost as much as me, so I certainly wouldn't call them lazy or losers.

You could be right, but I am not so sure. I deal with people at work. I see them sober, I see them high, and I see the transition when they toke up in the cooler.

I notice differences in them, to be sure.
Ironically, with my manger, when he is sober, he is unable to focus (this could be an issue of withdrawl and simply being angry he has no bud). But, when he gets high, he is more energetic, but more annoyingly unintelligent, for a while. Then he settles into a happier medium.

The point of concern? Apparently, this guy's life is a stark contrast when he is sober, which he claims is from years of use. Ergo, it makes me question if the long-term effects are worth the freedom. And this is the tamest of the drugs we are dealing with... (of course he could be lying about what he is taking)

I suppose it's different from person to person. Some people just can't handle smoking the bud. Then you get people like Carl Sagan.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:17:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 2:00:38 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/24/2013 1:48:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Gay marriage.
Not that I have an issue with it, but my whole argument is based on potential consequences that ought to be avoided. If they do not come to pass, then I was a fool.

What potential consequences are you concerned about?

Largely, the further erosion of property rights and legal issues.
Can a wedding photographer deny service to a gay couple? They should be able to, but is that against the 14th amendment, especially seeing how their union is equal under law to straight couples? Can this same photographer deny service to an inter-racial couple? I don't think that is allowed by law.

Are gay and straight marriage to be considered the same, so any consideration would be illegal? For example, should a Catholic orphanage be able to deny a gay wedded couple, but not a straight wedded couple, all things being equal?

Let's assume gays are more likely to do drugs, therefore they are more likely to have health issues later in life. Can a health insurance company charge more for a gay man and his husband than they would to cover a straight man and his wife, all things being equal?

And so on...
Plus, gay marriage has just passed in MN, and you had all these groups talking about how love is love and should be recognized and groups like "Minnesotans United" which advocated rights to all love. I am waiting for these groups to now advocate for incestious and polygamous relationships, which they ought to be for. And, now that gay marriage is legal, there is no legal reason to deny these, IMO. (and no, this is not a slippery slope fear, I only would advocate these two types) But, I am sure they are hypocrites.

Of course, I think that part of my opposition on this issue is the advocates' inconsistency and, for lack of a better word, greed. The whole issue revolved around a word, as many states offered a civil union, which protected all unions as marriages. However, gays rejected because they wanted the word. Furthermore, in MN, there was a bill that would have abolished the word marriage, and all marriages would become civil unions. Why this didn't fly, I don't know?
I know, this is not a logical reason to be opposed to something, but I can't help it.

Of course, I think all marraiges should be between clergy and participants. Frankly, I don't see why the government should be involved, since there are documents that effectively give two persons benefits of marriage. This way, it doesn't matter who uses a will, power of attorney, etc., and all are better off.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:20:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 2:50:14 PM, muzebreak wrote:


I suppose it's different from person to person. Some people just can't handle smoking the bud. Then you get people like Carl Sagan.

True, and I didn't really know these people before work, so who knows.
However, bud does alter the mind, and people are already stupid too much as it is, it is a scary combination that I almost don't want to support.
My work here is, finally, done.
FolkCat1234
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:27:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Education. Part of me thinks that it would be better handled by private organizations, but honestly though I think that everyone who works for an education should be able to get one, so I'm kind of torn on that.
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:07:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My opinion that torture can be permissable
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:17:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My opinion that government spending is too high. Overall I believe this because a lot of government spending just seems too wasteful and unnecessary and crowds out business investments. However, higher government spending is associated with lower income inequality and the nordic countries tend to have high GDP per capita, high spending, and low debt spending.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:19:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 4:07:32 PM, thett3 wrote:
My opinion that torture can be permissable*

*permissible

So, what does "permissible" mean to you?
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:20:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Any sort of geopolitical opinion of mine will change quite readily, as the relevant information often changes very rapidly.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TameHumanoid
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:27:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There are times when I think that Left wing liberals are the most favourable of all the leadership styles.

Then I realise how many people leech off the benefits system and shake back and forth.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:36:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 1:01:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That is, the one you are most likely to change.

Same sex marriage and socialized medicine. I'm on the fence on both of these, so I could easily be pushed one way or another. I lean slightly against same sex marriage and slightly for socialized medicine.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:36:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Medicaid and Globalization.

I think that Medicaid would be useful if it provided a graduated subsidy to the poor, to supplement their personal health savings accounts (would save a lot of money as well).

Globalization also makes me uneasy. I support free trade, but I don't think that homogenizing global culture is good, quite the opposite. And along with globalization comes trade agreements, I think that environmental protections are useful.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 5:09:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been around awhile and have changed my positions on things many times. Now that wisdom is the ruler of my views instead of emotion. I can safely say I would change none of my views on anything. I have seen them all play out and see the results of all my past views. I have changed some and kept others, but all views I have are based on past results of implementing those views and their positive or negative results. I changed all of the views that gave negative results both for me and society.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%