Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Nationalize Prostitution

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 12:46:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Prostitution seems to have a habit of being taken over by pimps. Not sure why. It's worth talking about. The spreading of sexual diseases is also a problem.

If prostitution were nationalized, it would allow the opportunity for it to be go on in a safe environment, both for the prostitutes and the clients.

Additionally, it would bring in revenue in replace of taxation.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 1:43:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Nationalization is a code-word for government seizure. The government shouldn't be able to mess w/ another pimp's ho. It's his property.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 2:00:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Safety for the hos, yes.
Tax revenue? Yes.

STD's, I disagree. How exactly do you require a medical test in order to patron a service? You could require weekly tests for the pros, but the johns, that is another legal issue.
My work here is, finally, done.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 10:52:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/26/2013 12:46:20 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Prostitution seems to have a habit of being taken over by pimps. Not sure why. It's worth talking about. The spreading of sexual diseases is also a problem.

If prostitution were nationalized, it would allow the opportunity for it to be go on in a safe environment, both for the prostitutes and the clients.

Additionally, it would bring in revenue in replace of taxation.

In Nevada, the brothels test their prostitutes for diseases and STDs. So they are concerned with safety which generates higher profit.

Undecided though if nationalization would be a good idea. Maybe at the state level.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 12:13:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/26/2013 12:46:20 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Prostitution seems to have a habit of being taken over by pimps. Not sure why. It's worth talking about. The spreading of sexual diseases is also a problem.

If prostitution were nationalized, it would allow the opportunity for it to be go on in a safe environment, both for the prostitutes and the clients.

Additionally, it would bring in revenue in replace of taxation.

The reason the pimps got all the prostitutes and the government got all the politicians is that the pimps won the toss and got first pick.

No way anybody's igonna take a trade now.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 2:11:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/26/2013 1:43:18 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Nationalization is a code-word for government seizure. The government shouldn't be able to mess w/ another pimp's ho. It's his property.

At 5/26/2013 11:53:51 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Sucking on the state's teat would assume an entirely different character.

At 5/26/2013 12:13:51 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The reason the pimps got all the prostitutes and the government got all the politicians is that the pimps won the toss and got first pick.

No way anybody's gonna take a trade now.

This thread is already gold.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 2:40:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We already have nationalized prostitution. It's called politics.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:13:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/26/2013 11:53:51 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Sucking on the state's teat would assume an entirely different character.

Hilarious.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 9:24:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is there any kind of federal law on prostitution ?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
The_Chaos_Heart
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 9:47:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As much a commie as I am, I don't think I can agree with the nationalization of prostitution. Legalization, certainly. But it seems to me to be a veyr private matter. Who's to say what the value of one person's body is to another? That seems to me to be highly barbaric honestly.

I think prostitution should be decriminalized, and brought out into the open, certainly. This would also allow for greater safety for prostitutes, and greater safety for potential clients. But nationalization is a whole 'nother bucket of worms, and one that I think should remain closed.
Sower4GS
Posts: 1,718
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 12:48:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This post, is of course, total trash.
Gal 4:16 So then, have I become your enemy, speaking truth to you?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 9:36:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have yet to hear a sensible argument for why prostitution should remain illegal. Just for kicks I visited procon.org and it only confirmed it...

1. Victimless Crime?
When a pimp compels a prostitute to submit to sexual demands as a condition of employment, it is exploitation, sexual harassment, or rape -- acts that are based on the prostitute's compliance rather than her consent.

Fulfilling others sexual demands is what prostitution is. Welcome to the workforce. If the pimp does not have her consent then we're talking about a completely different issue.

2. Prostitution & Free Choice
"The ILO [International Labour Organization] report admits that most women 'choose' prostitution for economic reasons. Surely no one can argue that this is free choice any more than the cattle in the squeeze chute choose to go to their death."

WTF?

3. Morality of Prostitution
"Prostitution as an institution is evil. It doesn't matter if it is the 'world's oldest profession', it is still wrong."

So what makes prostitution wrong is the fact that it is wrong. Got it.

7. Prevalence of Rape
Prostitution cannot eliminate rape when it is itself bought rape.

Uh...ok. While we're at it maybe we should abolish "bought theft" as well.

But my favorite...

9. Prostitution as a Career Option
"Seldom do we see proposals that poor men should make their way out of poverty by welcoming the insertion of penises and other objects into them on a regular basis or dance naked on a stage in front of ogling and masturbating males."

Excuse me while I gag. Now would you mind explaining the logic of that argument?