Bachman Not Seeking Re-Election

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:24:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Greetings debate.org,
I bring you great news tidings of great joy shall be upon us today: Michelle Bachman is NOT seeking reelection in 2014:

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann says she will not run for re-election in 2014, ending her tenure as the representative from Minnesota's sixth congressional district after four terms.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com...

This is brilliant news and I am so happy about it
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 7:32:20 AM
I think she's a bit in shock from same-sex marriage having been legalized in her state while she was in office.

Either way, she won't be missed.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 7:39:43 AM
Interesting. I didn't think she'd retire from politics for at least another 20 years.

Great news, nonetheless.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
hereiam2005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:10:12 AM
And in 2014 she would return as Fox News contributor - precisely the same route as her pioneer, Sarah Palin.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:27:19 AM
At 5/29/2013 6:24:19 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Greetings debate.org,
I bring you great news tidings of great joy shall be upon us today: Michelle Bachman is NOT seeking reelection in 2014:

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann says she will not run for re-election in 2014, ending her tenure as the representative from Minnesota's sixth congressional district after four terms.

Congresswoman Bachman apparently does not gain many favourable opinions from mainstream media outlets. What makes me feel worse is the reason that she gave in regarding re-election: In a video released on her website early Wednesday, the Tea Party favorite says that, in her opinion, if presidents can only serve eight years that length of time is sufficient for her to serve in Congress.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:43:44 AM
I don't follow this politician particularly much. All I know about Bachmann is that she is a Tea Party favorite, she has won congressional elections, has beaten the odds repeatedly, and does not harbor views that would disqualify her on the spot. She comes from a legal background and is not known for being Ms. Congeniality. All of this would give me the idea that Bachmann is a decent politician.

So, why do people love/hate her so much?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:01:01 AM
At 5/29/2013 10:43:44 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
I don't follow this politician particularly much. All I know about Bachmann is that she is a Tea Party favorite, she has won congressional elections, has beaten the odds repeatedly, and does not harbor views that would disqualify her on the spot. She comes from a legal background and is not known for being Ms. Congeniality. All of this would give me the idea that Bachmann is a decent politician.

Because she's as dumb as a sack of hammers... Imagine Biden with a third of his brain power but twice as stubborn, that's Bachmann
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:52:05 AM
At 5/29/2013 11:01:01 AM, imabench wrote:

Because she's as dumb as a sack of hammers... Imagine Biden with a third of his brain power but twice as stubborn, that's Bachmann

Hmm...isn't that Einstein?
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:54:56 AM

Perhaps because she is a controversial figure. Initially, she was elected by tea partiers and her statements, no matter how wise or who stupid, were repeatedly cited in media. People then reinterpreted the information to fit their own perspectives. Later on her controversial status reinforces such images.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:08:09 PM
At 5/29/2013 8:27:19 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
Greetings debate.org,

Congresswoman Bachman apparently does not gain many favourable opinions from mainstream media outlets. What makes me feel worse is the reason that she gave in regarding re-election: In a video released on her website early Wednesday, the Tea Party favorite says that, in her opinion, if presidents can only serve eight years that length of time is sufficient for her to serve in Congress.

Really, is that what she said?!? LOL
I can guarantee that she isn't seeking reelection because of her charges of campaign fraud in Iowa during her persidential run. I haven't follwed the story too closely, but the evidence seems damning for charges to have been brought (I think), but definiately enought to not run again where she narrowly won her seat last election.
My work here is, finally, done.
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:09:13 PM

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:16:28 PM

I know gays hate her for her views on SSM. Her husband ran a "straightening-out" camp, yet, ironically, has the worst lisp I have ever heard.
Liberals hate her for her views on policy and, IMO, the fact that she is a woman representing the GOP in a purple state.
The MSM hate her because she puts her foot in her mouth and says some outragous things, like publicly questioning the motives of Keith Ellison, MN's rep for the 5th district, because he is muslim.

But, like most politicians, she has a scandal: campaign expenses. She did something she shouldn't have in Iowa during the primaries, and this is likely the reason she is not seeking reelection.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:18:55 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:08:09 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/29/2013 8:27:19 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
Greetings debate.org,

Really, is that what she said?!? LOL
I can guarantee that she isn't seeking reelection because of her charges of campaign fraud in Iowa during her persidential run. I haven't follwed the story too closely, but the evidence seems damning for charges to have been brought (I think), but definiately enought to not run again where she narrowly won her seat last election.

I fully agree. Though I am sure someone will come out with some other theories, especially from those who have vehemently supported her in the past. And yes, that is exactly what she said (according to fox news). Let's wait and see what tea party would say about her video.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:20:38 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:16:28 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I know gays hate her for her views on SSM. Her husband ran a "straightening-out" camp, yet, ironically, has the worst lisp I have ever heard.
Liberals hate her for her views on policy and, IMO, the fact that she is a woman representing the GOP in a purple state.
The MSM hate her because she puts her foot in her mouth and says some outragous things, like publicly questioning the motives of Keith Ellison, MN's rep for the 5th district, because he is muslim.

But, like most politicians, she has a scandal: campaign expenses. She did something she shouldn't have in Iowa during the primaries, and this is likely the reason she is not seeking reelection.

What about the love part?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:25:08 PM
At 5/29/2013 7:32:20 AM, drhead wrote:
I think she's a bit in shock from same-sex marriage having been legalized in her state while she was in office.

She shouldn't be and it's not like she could have prevented it.
After the elections, the Dems had complete control in MN.
With gay marriage was on the upswing with the DFL publically embracing it (no coincidence it was in an election year), its passage was all but assured.

MN has a HUGE gay scene.

Either way, she won't be missed.

She will be, actually, until the media finds someone else to hate as much anyway.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:26:50 PM
At 5/29/2013 11:54:56 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:

Perhaps because she is a controversial figure. Initially, she was elected by tea partiers and her statements, no matter how wise or who stupid, were repeatedly cited in media. People then reinterpreted the information to fit their own perspectives. Later on her controversial status reinforces such images.

I agree with all this but it doesn't really answer the question, lol. Or maybe, my question should have been "what is it about what Bachmann says that makes people love/hate her so much?"
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:29:50 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:13:02 PM, StevenDixon wrote:
This one is terrible

Wow. "Our nation has seen judgment not once but twice on September 11th".

Jesus Fvcking Christ, I didn't know we lived in a theocracy. Am I going to get arrested for heresy for saying that?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:32:23 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:20:38 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

The right love her for the same reasons, she does represent a wealthier district.
She is, from what I can tell, fairly consistent in her views. She just says some asinine things.
So, I assume, she probably speaks her mind and votes to limit/cut government, which is taboo, yet refreshing to see.

And, of course, I am sure people love her just because the left hate her so much.

She does not represent me and it's hard to hear good things about her with all the hatred towards her.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 1:37:01 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:20:38 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

Ok, I can try to answer this now.

The fact-checking is quite interesting I agree and belies a certain lack of analytical rigor, but she is actually delving into this level of detail, which I find difficult to fault off hand. It's sad to have to say this, but compared to Sarah Palin she is orders of magnitude more intelligent and politically adept. Regardless Bachmann is bringing up unconventional issues, and making them relevant to the national stage. That's quite a feat for any politician to pull off without crucifying him/herself.

For example, on the issue of a global currency, I think Bachmann's remarks are actually very much on the mark. Politifact decries her for equating an advocacy of a global currency reserve to the replacing of the US dollar...yet that's exactly what would happen if that reserve was ever to be used in any capacity. Therefore, Bachmann is wholly on the mark to state:

"Bachmann Demands Truth: Will Obama Administration Abandon Dollar for a Multi-National Currency"

http://www.politifact.com...

IMHO politifact gets it wrong here. They even try to pin something that Glenn Beck said on Bachmann, which is just irresponsible.

---

Furthermore, calling Romney-care "socialist" is hardly unique to Bachmann...her charges of lavish Presidential spending are not that far off the mark...her stances on other issues are simply not stupid.

---

Again, the issues Bachmann deals with are unconventional and complex, and while she may get the details wrong quite a bit, I don't listen to politicians to get statistics. I listen to them to figure out what they're going to do while in office, and Bachmann comes across as quite the fiscal conservative, something we can use more of in DC, IMHO. Is she intelligent? Yes.

Anyway, thanks all for the feedback, very interesting.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 1:46:00 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:26:53 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
So, why do people LOVE/hate her so much?

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

/\ These may be reasons why.

Lastly, this is a pet peeve of mine...please do not mis-quote me.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 2:21:03 PM
At 5/29/2013 1:46:00 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Not to be rude, but I was just answering why people hate her. I probably could (and should) have done it another way, but I thought that, because I couldn't answer why people love Bachmann, I edited it out.

But I get the memo. I apologize.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 3:16:31 PM
At 5/29/2013 2:21:03 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 5/29/2013 1:46:00 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Not to be rude, but I was just answering why people hate her. I probably could (and should) have done it another way, but I thought that, because I couldn't answer why people love Bachmann, I edited it out.

But I get the memo. I apologize.

I tend to be rather blunt at times, so just to make it clear, nothing personal, and I found your sources to be very informative, so thank you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:06:22 PM
Greetings debate.org,

This is the best news I've seen all day. Bachman is worthless. She is nothing less than a comprehensive disgrace to all women, to all Republicans and to American politics in sum.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:15:34 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:06:22 PM, YYW wrote:
Greetings debate.org,

This is the best news I've seen all day. Bachman is worthless. She is nothing less than a comprehensive disgrace to all women, to all Republicans and to American politics in sum.

Don't forget the human race!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:18:21 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:15:34 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 5/29/2013 10:06:22 PM, YYW wrote:
Greetings debate.org,

Don't forget the human race!

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm sure she'd make a great soccer mom.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 6:30:35 AM
In case people don't know this, the district she represents is fairly republican by like 2:1. However, last term, she barely beat her rival, a Mr. Jim Graves (like 54:50).

Since her drop-out, so, too, have Jim Graves said that he will not seek that office.
I think that is really said, that this guy ran just to oppose Bachman, and is not really interested in the position (or equally sad that his only chance at victory was people's hatred for her).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 12:05:27 PM
Greetings debate.org,

This isn't necessarily great news. She choose to leave, it wasn't the people that kicked her out. If the people from her state still like her ideals, then they will just vote in someone else that is just like her. Not saying that is what is going to happen, but when someone is appointed by the people and leaves, the people may just get another similar person.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 12:16:26 PM
At 6/2/2013 6:30:35 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
In case people don't know this, the district she represents is fairly republican by like 2:1. However, last term, she barely beat her rival, a Mr. Jim Graves (like 54:50).

Since her drop-out, so, too, have Jim Graves said that he will not seek that office.
I think that is really said, that this guy ran just to oppose Bachman, and is not really interested in the position (or equally sad that his only chance at victory was people's hatred for her).

Well, it may be hard to tell these days, but there are a good number of Republican moderates, and Bachmann isn't exactly a moderate. I think it's pretty amazing that she won on a Tea Party platform, and that ore_ele's statement prior to mine has merit.