Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Which members have influenced you the most?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:14:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
CirRk, Raisor, Roy, and DN for me
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:23:20 PM
Probably just these three: Philocristus, Paradox_7, & SOWER-4Gs.
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:50:24 PM
I suppose Cody. Then a lot of the Ancaps when I began exploring anarchism. Can't think of too many people anymore though. I've drifted to such a state that I don't readily identify with most people politically anymore.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:01:58 PM
If anything, members like Roy, Jimtimmy, and Ike have solidified my previously held beliefs.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:03:11 PM
Wnope is brilliant in general, I always learn something when I read his posts, and have found my own views challenged on more than one occasion.

YYW is well-written and knowledgeable, and he often exposes me to things in which I am interested but have never heard of.

I haven't directly interacted with rross at all, but I've read many of her contributions and find them interesting and thought-provoking.

The_Chaos_Heart always cuts to the heart of the issue, and I find myself often agreeing with her, even though we are polar opposites politically.

PopCulturePooka's posts on religious philosophy are just spectacular.

Annanicole: I don't think I've ever interacted with her directly, save a brief comparison of mine between DogKnox and Heimskr, but she knows more about the bible than any person I've every met, and I find her input to always be interesting, concise, and broadly informed.

I'm nothing short of astounded at the depth of Cody_Franklin's insight into a very diverse field of topics.

Drafterman is viciously witty, and often manages to make me laugh and think at the same time.

I like it when Tulle beats the bejeesus out of pop-psychology based arguments. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:24:03 PM
At 5/31/2013 5:17:49 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
16K and Lordknuckle. Because now I KNOW I'm right ... ;)

Whereas before, you were merely guessing?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:38:42 PM
At 5/31/2013 4:14:57 PM, thett3 wrote:
CirRk, Raisor, Roy, and DN for me

http://www.myfacewhen.net...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:39:46 PM
Let's see here...

Tim_Spin/socialpinko/Noumena, thett, DK, PL...

There are many, but those come to mind right away.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 5:44:58 PM
At 5/31/2013 5:39:46 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Let's see here...

Tim_Spin/socialpinko/Noumena,

I've always wanted a minion

thett, DK, PL...

: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:13:58 PM
At 5/31/2013 5:39:46 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Let's see here...

Tim_Spin/socialpinko/Noumena, thett, DK, PL...

http://www.myfacewhen.net...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:20:49 PM
I don't think anyone has influenced me to change my political views but have rather helped me define them more clearly. To name one, I'll say that hearing about the social contract theory from Double_R helped me concretely understand what I previously only understood intuitively.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:50:39 PM
At 5/31/2013 5:03:11 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I like it when Tulle beats the bejeesus out of pop-psychology based arguments. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Haha really? I always feel like I'm posting for no reason and nobody cares. Thanks :)

There are a lot of members who have influenced me but I guess the most influential would be Danielle. She helped me articulate and understand a lot of beliefs.
yang.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:57:19 PM
LaissezFaire dramatically influenced my views, he persuaded me so much that I went from a moderate liberal to a right wing libertarian.

Darkkermit also gave me some insight on issues like economics, though not persuading me.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:59:07 PM
At 5/31/2013 4:23:20 PM, TULIP wrote:
Probably just these three: Philocristus, Paradox_7, & SOWER-4Gs.

Interesting. I rarely even talk about politics on here.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:00:24 PM
At 5/31/2013 4:50:24 PM, Noumena wrote:
I suppose Cody. Then a lot of the Ancaps when I began exploring anarchism. Can't think of too many people anymore though. I've drifted to such a state that I don't readily identify with most people politically anymore.

Neither did Genghis Kahn. He was a pioneer.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:22:14 PM
freedo lannan Daytonanerd and I think Young Republican were the people who have influenced me the most
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:28:18 PM
At 5/31/2013 6:53:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Every member here is an expression of my infinite regress into absurdity.

Are you high again?
Nolite Timere
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:29:44 PM
At 5/31/2013 6:50:39 PM, tulle wrote:
At 5/31/2013 5:03:11 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Haha really? I always feel like I'm posting for no reason and nobody cares. Thanks :)

There are a lot of members who have influenced me but I guess the most influential would be Danielle. She helped me articulate and understand a lot of beliefs.

Oh yeah, forgot about the old gal. She greatly helped me in my understanding of syndicalism and worker self-management.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:31:34 PM
At 5/31/2013 7:28:18 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 5/31/2013 6:53:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Every member here is an expression of my infinite regress into absurdity.

Are you high again?

That is a redundant question at this point.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:59:46 PM
Noumena, WSA, and a few other anarchists also brought that political philosophy more sharply into focus for me, whereas before it had largely been a blank spot on my ideological map.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:11:15 PM
I'm more a contrarian here; there are very few if any posters that I regularly engage that I find myself in consistent agreement with. A rare exception to this is Sidewalker - I love reading his posts but since we were already largely on the same page when he joined I wouldn't really say he influenced my views.

There's a lot of knowledgeable DDO members who I genuinely enjoy conversing with but I can't really list any as significant influences on my worldview.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:31:13 PM
At 5/31/2013 10:11:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
There's a lot of knowledgeable DDO members who I genuinely enjoy conversing with but I can't really list any as significant influences on my worldview.

I'm kind of in the same camp.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:32:34 PM
I would have to say...
theLwerd (no one say who that is, just to confuse the newer members)
Spinko
Rags
Cody
Darkkermit
Askbob
Rogue (though she influenced more in dealing with her)

There are countless more that have definitely influenced me, but these are the ones that pop into my mind.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:01:07 PM
Cant name anyone off the top of my head even though im sure someone had an impact at one point.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:11:49 PM
At 5/31/2013 10:32:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I would have to say...
theLwerd (no one say who that is, just to confuse the newer members)
Spinko
Rags
Cody
Darkkermit
Askbob
Rogue (though she influenced more in dealing with her)

These are all certainly surprising. I wouldn't expect any of these since everyone listed (with the possible exception of Rogue) is waaaaay more libertarian leaning than you are. It just seems odd for the lone left-authoritarian of DDO to predominantly list libertarians and anarchists among his influences. Not to say I'm not flattered of course ;)

There are countless more that have definitely influenced me, but these are the ones that pop into my mind.