Jump to topic:

Gun owners are not crazy

TheConserative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:44:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What really gets to me is that the media and a lot of the liberals in politics love to point the finger at the gun if a mass shooting happens. I own guns and it makes me mad when I'm called to psycho when I do something I love. The media depicts gun owners as crazy people and relate to James Holmes and other mass murderers. This needs to stop, people who own guns are normal people with normal lives
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:52:48 PM
At 6/2/2013 2:44:29 PM, TheConserative wrote:
What really gets to me is that the media and a lot of the liberals in politics love to point the finger at the gun if a mass shooting happens. I own guns and it makes me mad when I'm called to psycho when I do something I love. The media depicts gun owners as crazy people and relate to James Holmes and other mass murderers. This needs to stop, people who own guns are normal people with normal lives

I do not see the media do this, en masse.
I do see the media depict certain gun owners (like one Ted Nugent) as crazy. You know, the ones who have 50 different guns, parade them around, and go to the firing range every day.

Owning a gun =/= owning every gun

Most people cite gun onwership for protection or sport (range or hunting), which is fine. However owning dozens of guns, along with parading them around almost asking for contreversy (why can't I have a gatling gun?) is over the top in my opinion.
My work here is, finally, done.
TheConserative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 3:07:12 PM
At 6/2/2013 2:52:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I do see the media depict certain gun owners (like one Ted Nugent) as crazy. You know, the ones who have 50 different guns, parade them around, and go to the firing range every day.

Most people cite gun onwership for protection or sport (range or hunting), which is fine. However owning dozens of guns, along with parading them around almost asking for contreversy (why can't I have a gatling gun?) is over the top in my opinion.

What I do see is commercials that depict gun owners as not having any safety
Like this:
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 3:20:01 PM
At 6/2/2013 3:07:12 PM, TheConserative wrote:
At 6/2/2013 2:52:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

What I do see is commercials that depict gun owners as not having any safety
Like this:

1. That is not the "media", that is a political group.
2. That commercial charges unsafety, not crazy, as your OP claims.
3. The point of that commercial is to suggest the man is either a) an actor, thus not a gun owner, or b) unsafe. It does not even imply that gun owners are unsafe, but that the man in the commercial they are referring is unsafe or fake.
4. In no way can you reasonably say this attacks "gun owners", when it is quite obvious the commercial is attacking that one alleged gun owner.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 3:55:11 PM
It also doesn't help that gun companies like to think of their own clientele as crazies. The whole "men with tiny penises buy big guns" is enforced by gun companies.

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com...
http://media.salon.com...

Or that gun owners are going to kill politicans

http://samslifeinjeddah.files.wordpress.com...

And really, it isn't so much that they are "crazy" as much as many of them are out of touch with reality, they are living in a fantasy where they secretly hope that they can live out scenes of a movie where they get to kill someone and not go to jail for it. That is the ultimate way to fill the masculine need for superiority.

If it really was nothing more than "protecting their family" why would people drop hundreds of dollars for a single gun that most likely would not be used, rather than $20 for a working fire extinguisher, which will likely be needed every 10 - 15 years (60% of US families do not have a working fire extinguisher). Or other, more effective means of protection?

http://www.nfpa.org...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 9:43:31 AM
At 6/2/2013 3:55:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It also doesn't help that gun companies like to think of their own clientele as crazies. The whole "men with tiny penises buy big guns" is enforced by gun companies.

And really, it isn't so much that they are "crazy" as much as many of them are out of touch with reality, they are living in a fantasy where they secretly hope that they can live out scenes of a movie where they get to kill someone and not go to jail for it. That is the ultimate way to fill the masculine need for superiority.

If it really was nothing more than "protecting their family" why would people drop hundreds of dollars for a single gun that most likely would not be used, rather than $20 for a working fire extinguisher, which will likely be needed every 10 - 15 years (60% of US families do not have a working fire extinguisher). Or other, more effective means of protection?

Shooting at ranges is fun, collecting guns is like collecting anything else, baseball cards don't have any practical value but people still collect them. As for dropping hundreds of dollars guns are the ultimate you get what you pay for and you want reliability. That costs several hundred dollars.
In general a lot of the anti gun people simply don't understand gun culture. Which politicians understand is prevalent far beyond what the media understands or would lead you to believe.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 10:03:57 AM
I'll also list the reasons people have lots of guns.
Hunting- different game,different caliber, kids might hunt with smaller caliber/higher gauge rifle and shotguns.
Target shooting- lots of different calibers and types of guns for different target shooting
Collecting- self explanatory
Cost- you might own a gun in different calibers for cost reasons, you can shoot a 22lr all day at the range but .223 is going to get expensive real fast.
Home/car/personal defense- all sorts of different guns here, one you conceal carry, one you can open carry, one you keep in your truck, one for your nightstand etc.

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:01:59 AM
At 6/3/2013 10:26:28 AM, leojm wrote:
Absolutely not. I'm not crazy, and I own bout 10 guns of my own.

One for every day of the week, plus an extra for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday?

What do you use all of those guns for?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 11:14:13 AM
At 6/3/2013 11:01:59 AM, drhead wrote:

Hunting, competition, and just for fun to go target shooting. I'm in love with guns.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:41:05 PM

I stopped taking your post seriously after the sight of the word "liberal".
Please, I mean, FFS don't limit your number of allies by pulling the typical liberal card. There are many liberal gun owners out there. There is even a god damn forum for them to meet.

Just...stop.
turn down for h'what
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:42:57 PM
At 6/3/2013 12:41:05 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

I stopped taking your post seriously after the sight of the word "liberal".
Please, I mean, FFS don't limit your number of allies by pulling the typical liberal card. There are many liberal gun owners out there. There is even a god damn forum for them to meet.

Just...stop.

Yes agreed. Some of my family members are liberal, and own guns.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 2:20:08 PM
At 6/3/2013 9:43:31 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/2/2013 3:55:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Shooting at ranges is fun, collecting guns is like collecting anything else, baseball cards don't have any practical value but people still collect them. As for dropping hundreds of dollars guns are the ultimate you get what you pay for and you want reliability. That costs several hundred dollars.
In general a lot of the anti gun people simply don't understand gun culture. Which politicians understand is prevalent far beyond what the media understands or would lead you to believe.

Yeah, well, baseball cards can't easily be turned into murder weapons.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 3:23:34 PM
What really gets to me is that the media and a lot of the liberals in politics love to point the finger at the gun if a mass shooting happens. I own guns and it makes me mad when I'm called to psycho when I do something I love.

Yes, the liberal media tends to point the finger at the gun. That is not the same thing as pointing the finger at every man in America who owns one. You can relax now.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 3:39:12 PM
Not sure if anyone was referring to me, but:
Look, I can see a reason to have multiple guns. This is not why I would call a gun owner crazy.

I call the ones that flaunt their multiple guns, like it defines them, and flaunt their excessively overpowered guns (which I concede may be incredibly fun to shoot) demanding they should be able to hunt with a bazooka and/or walk down main street with it, as crazy.

I envision a farmer to have two guns: a rifle for hunting and a shotgun for protection. I can see an urban-dweller going to a range with a few guns for fun. This alone does not make them crazy.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 4:08:54 PM
At 6/3/2013 3:39:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Look, I can see a reason to have multiple guns. This is not why I would call a gun owner crazy.

I call the ones that flaunt their multiple guns, like it defines them, and flaunt their excessively overpowered guns (which I concede may be incredibly fun to shoot) demanding they should be able to hunt with a bazooka and/or walk down main street with it, as crazy.

I envision a farmer to have two guns: a rifle for hunting and a shotgun for protection. I can see an urban-dweller going to a range with a few guns for fun. This alone does not make them crazy.

I don't think any intelligent and honest person argues that a person is crazy for owning guns. There is nothing wrong with owning every legal gun ever produced. What is crazy is when your reason for doing so is to defend yourself from the government boogieman who is coming for your freedoms.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 4:53:47 PM
At 6/3/2013 11:01:59 AM, drhead wrote:

Could have sworn I just gave a rather large list of reasons to won multiple guns.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 4:55:04 PM
At 6/3/2013 4:08:54 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 6/3/2013 3:39:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I don't think any intelligent and honest person argues that a person is crazy for owning guns. There is nothing wrong with owning every legal gun ever produced. What is crazy is when your reason for doing so is to defend yourself from the government boogieman who is coming for your freedoms.

That's not crazy, better safe than sorry. The guns in my safe aren't hurting anyone and governments have turned tyrannical before.
I'd go so far as to say part of the gun culture is a healthy distrust of government.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 5:06:38 PM
What really gets to me is that the media and a lot of the liberals in politics love to point the finger at the gun if a mass shooting happens. I own guns and it makes me mad when I'm called to psycho when I do something I love.

Well if you love doing mass shootings then that clearly does make you a psycho

The media depicts gun owners as crazy people and relate to James Holmes and other mass murderers. This needs to stop, people who own guns are normal people with normal lives
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
hereiam2005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 1:30:54 AM
Because there ARE crazy gun owner, they tend to be pretty loud, some even got into congress, and other law abiding gun owners who are against gun violence are not trying (or at least not trying hard enough) to put them into the fringe where they belong.
Conservative media (especially conspiracy theorists and talk radio who BTW benefits enormously from all this) certainly does not help.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:53:03 AM
At 6/4/2013 1:30:54 AM, hereiam2005 wrote:
Because there ARE crazy gun owner, they tend to be pretty loud, some even got into congress, and other law abiding gun owners who are against gun violence are not trying (or at least not trying hard enough) to put them into the fringe where they belong.
Conservative media (especially conspiracy theorists and talk radio who BTW benefits enormously from all this) certainly does not help.

Well all that matters is that I'm a strong conservative and I'm not giving up my guns, if they come to my house to get my guns, they will never leave alive. It's my right to bear arms. I'm not crazy either. :P
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:03:39 AM
The one issue I've never had explained to me with any clarity is what exactly you think the point of saturating an entire country with guns is. What is the desired outcome? I mean, it can't simply be more guns for the sake of more guns and it obviously isn't going to protect you against a tyrannical government (which you don't have anyway), so... what is the obsession?
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:05:30 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:03:39 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
The one issue I've never had explained to me with any clarity is what exactly you think the point of saturating an entire country with guns is. What is the desired outcome? I mean, it can't simply be more guns for the sake of more guns and it obviously isn't going to protect you against a tyrannical government (which you don't have anyway), so... what is the obsession?

I would like to protect myself from intruders. I mean you come into my house on invited, be ready to get your @ss shot. It's for safety of my being and for hunting. Oh I love to hunt.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:07:09 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:05:30 AM, leojm wrote:
I would like to protect myself from intruders. I mean you come into my house on invited, be ready to get your @ss shot. It's for safety of my being and for hunting. Oh I love to hunt.

People are entirely capable of defending their homes without guns. Many do. I don't think 'fun' is a legitimate justification for increasing the number of deadly weapons floating around the place.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:08:29 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:07:09 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 6/4/2013 10:05:30 AM, leojm wrote:

People are entirely capable of defending their homes without guns. Many do. I don't think 'fun' is a legitimate justification for increasing the number of deadly weapons floating around the place.

No, Some criminals have a gun with them when they come to rob you or whatever. Are you going to fist fight against a gun? I don't think so.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:18:17 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:08:29 AM, leojm wrote:
No, Some criminals have a gun with them when they come to rob you or whatever. Are you going to fist fight against a gun? I don't think so.

This is far, far less of a problem if it's much harder for the criminals to get hold of a gun in the first place. However, if I was going to break in somewhere and knew there was a high chance that the occupant would have a gun, I would make sure I was very quiet and had a gun of my own, which I'd be sure to use to make sure I didn't have to worry about being shot.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:20:31 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:03:39 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
The one issue I've never had explained to me with any clarity is what exactly you think the point of saturating an entire country with guns is. What is the desired outcome?

You act like it's a coordinated effort by gun owners to saturate the country, when in reality it's many individuals making their own decisions about owning guns.

I mean, it can't simply be more guns for the sake of more guns and it obviously isn't going to protect you against a tyrannical government (which you don't have anyway), so... what is the obsession?

I gave an long list of reasons people own multiple guns.
It's the threat of future tyranny, which history has taught is always a possibility.
Armed citizens could very easily protect themselves from a government which went tyrannical, I'd debate that any day.