Political Implications of THE PURGE?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 5:57:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey all!

So, I just returned from seeing The Purge, a movie which I thoroughly LOVED (although some didn't, particularly me mam, who reportedly described it as "having an interesting concept, but being weak"). And, although many of its themes relate to more social ideas--how we interact with each other, the nature of evil, etc, I think there are potential political themes that can be derived from it too.

So, the overall premise is that a political party called the New Founding Fathers, or New Founders of America, have been elected to power, and instituted the Purge, a 12 hour event from 7pm on March 21 to 7am on March 22 every year, in which all crime up to and including murder is legal, and all emergency services are suspended, following the assumption that humans are naturally violent, and the Purge serves as a cathartic and contained means of releasing all our natural and violent urges. As a result, the economy flourishes, crime rates are low, and unemployment is at 1%.

If you want to know more about the actual plot, here's the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org...
And if you want to know more about the actual premise, here's the film's AMAZING viral website that acts like the ruling party's website: http://www.newfoundersamerica.org...

Anyway, it would seem at first glance that this film would have a political theme that is anti-libertarian. It touches, for instance, on the inability of the poor to protect themselves during the Purge, and further, the fact that people DO commit atrocities during the Purge when there is no government presence would likely indicate that the film implies that government is necessary to keep people from literally killing each other.

However, it also could be argued that the film is ACTUALLY libertarian in its political themes, as the Purge itself is sanctioned and actively encouraged by the government, with the implication being that government is the only real driving force behind the actions of individuals. There also seems to be a cult of patriotism surrounding the Purge, further developing the idea of government and rallying-around-the-flag as being the cause of atrocity.

Those are just two ideas. However, if you've seen the film, or are just interested in the premise, what would you think are the political implications of the film? Or, are there really no political implications of the film?

Regardless, I thought it was a very interesting movie--maybe not up to my full expectations, but still good. I'd definitely recommend it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:06:59 PM
First off, I haven't seen the movie.

But think if this happened in real life, the purge would indeed be much like it. Although NOT because any natural human drive to do so. But because the society has set a precedent for it to happen. As if it's supposed to.

I don't know about the after effects though. I think it would more likely make things worse. Most crime stats would stay the same and just spike on one day.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:19:37 PM
At 6/9/2013 6:06:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:

But think if this happened in real life, the purge would indeed be much like it. Although NOT because any natural human drive to do so. But because the society has set a precedent for it to happen. As if it's supposed to.

I don't know about the after effects though. I think it would more likely make things worse. Most crime stats would stay the same and just spike on one day.

I could see crime going down, at least murder. If I was planning on murdering someone, guess what day I'm gonna wait for.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:22:40 PM
At 6/9/2013 6:19:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I could see crime going down, at least murder. If I was planning on murdering someone, guess what day I'm gonna wait for.

But then would crime really go down? It'd just be suspended until a single day.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:26:49 PM
At 6/9/2013 6:22:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/9/2013 6:19:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

But then would crime really go down? It'd just be suspended until a single day.

Well, in technicality it would, because the crimes are not considered crimes for those 12 hours.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:26:58 PM
The movie sounds like I am Legend meets the Hunger Games in 1984, which is in concept pretty cool. Politically? Though I haven't seen it, I like the premise -I just have a feeling that it would end in a way that I wouldn't want it too.
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:35:04 PM
The first thing that struck me is that a one percent unemployment rate would be catastrophic. Inflation would be ridiculous.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:36:31 PM
I think the premise is false. The law isn't what keeps people from committing crimes. The deterrence aspect is often weak, especially for the more serious crimes. The law, in fact, is the realization of our natural aversion to inhumane actions. If we all just bottled up intense hatred and sought to unleash them, then we'd probably found a moral standard that supported that, and the law would support it as well.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:40:59 PM
At 6/9/2013 6:36:31 PM, 000ike wrote:
I think the premise is false. The law isn't what keeps people from committing crimes. The deterrence aspect is often weak, especially for the more serious crimes. The law, in fact, is the realization of our natural aversion to inhumane actions. If we all just bottled up intense hatred and sought to unleash them, then we'd probably found a moral standard that supported that, and the law would support it as well.

The premise of WHAT, exactly? You mean the FICTIONAL assumption in the film? Sure, we could say it's false. A more realistic look at the film (as realistically as we can) would probably explain the purge in terms of, as FREEDO said, a societal precedent. Everything plays out the way it does because that's the expectation.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:30:52 PM
I would consider it a bit of an anarchist movie since the government is using anarchy as a tool to keep crime and unemployment low.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:35:07 PM
Yep, like allowing everybody to kill each other and commit crimes without punishment is going to affect the economy to the point of 1% unemployment and a 1% crime-rate.
Nolite Timere
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:40:14 PM
At 6/9/2013 7:30:52 PM, imabench wrote:
I would consider it a bit of an anarchist movie since the government is using anarchy as a tool to keep crime and unemployment low.

An anarchist movie is one that depicts or supports some theme or principle expressed by anarchist philosophy (ex. V for Vendetta, Fight Club, etc.); usually anti-authoritarianism. "Anarchy" as depicted in the film is lack of social order and chaos which isn't really something that could classify it as an "anarchist movie". Otherwise you'd see a convergence of disaster films with anarchist ones.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:46:25 PM
At 6/9/2013 7:40:14 PM, Noumena wrote:

An anarchist movie is one that depicts or supports some theme or principle expressed by anarchist philosophy (ex. V for Vendetta, Fight Club, etc.); usually anti-authoritarianism. "Anarchy" as depicted in the film is lack of social order and chaos which isn't really something that could classify it as an "anarchist movie". Otherwise you'd see a convergence of disaster films with anarchist ones.

Then again, it could be interpreted that the "anarchy" seen in the film is a construct of the government/societal authority. In essence, it is not truly how humans behave in anarchy, but how the government has molded them to behave through social/societal pressure.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 7:55:19 PM
I can't get past how stupid the premise is.

Want an example of no police services and the consequences? Try the hood any day of the week. Life threatening conflicts aren't ex nihilism and can't be neatly bundled so that everyone can finish their business in one night. It also serves no legal purpose than endorsing lynch mobs and death determined by social likability. It's just so blindingly moronic I can't bring myself to see it.

And to think people steal and deal drugs and rape every day because no one marked a specific day on the calendar for it.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:10:47 PM
I don't know whether I'd say it's actually libertarian in it's leanings (disclosure: have not seen move, but have seen previews). I would say, however, that it is the government's fault. But the problem is that the government strategically governs less in one instance, so it can claim there are not problems. In fact, there are significant problems.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:34:15 PM
At 6/9/2013 7:58:47 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
The people will be dying on the one day so they wont be doing it the other days.

And who figures out which person is the "perp" in a city of 1 million? We have enough miscarriages of justice with a judge, lawyers, and instructed jury. Mob rule works under perfect information which is an absolute fiction even in the smallest community.

I can understand savagery if it has even remotely effective. This is not the case.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:37:50 PM
Heck it'd be a great time to kill everyone on your block who won't follow your rulings the previous purge. And gangs armed with guns versus single women who can only afford a steak knife and taser, sounds real well thought out.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:40:34 PM
At 6/9/2013 8:37:50 PM, Wnope wrote:
Heck it'd be a great time to kill everyone on your block who won't follow your rulings the previous purge. And gangs armed with guns versus single women who can only afford a steak knife and taser, sounds real well thought out.

I'm not exactly sure what you've been ranting about.

However, it's kind of implied that this is exactly what happens. Those who are privileged either lock down for the night or can afford extensive training to hunt, while the poor cannot. The big impetus for the conflict in this movie is a literal band of rich educated kids hunting down a homeless man, just because.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 8:50:34 PM
At 6/9/2013 8:40:34 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/9/2013 8:37:50 PM, Wnope wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you've been ranting about.

However, it's kind of implied that this is exactly what happens. Those who are privileged either lock down for the night or can afford extensive training to hunt, while the poor cannot. The big impetus for the conflict in this movie is a literal band of rich educated kids hunting down a homeless man, just because.

But I have no interest in a film which plans to deeply analyze something so obviously stupid. Even hunger games had an iota of logic to the premise.

I don't care if its alien invasion or attack of the clones a premise should have some semblance of logic if I'm going to give the slightest damn thematically.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:02:27 PM
Someone should make a movie where black people unite and try to take over America. I don't mind who the heroes are.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:09:12 PM
At 6/9/2013 9:02:27 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
Someone should make a movie where black people unite and try to take over America. I don't mind who the heroes are.

Aaron mcgruder tried but they only let him turn it into a comic book
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:17:14 PM
It's just a sign of things to come when the nanny state runs out of money, but only an everyday occurrence rather than once a year or whatever.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 11:32:57 PM
At 6/9/2013 7:46:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/9/2013 7:40:14 PM, Noumena wrote:

Then again, it could be interpreted that the "anarchy" seen in the film is a construct of the government/societal authority. In essence, it is not truly how humans behave in anarchy, but how the government has molded them to behave through social/societal pressure.

^ Bingo
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 11:33:29 PM
At 6/9/2013 9:17:14 PM, sadolite wrote:
It's just a sign of things to come when the nanny state runs out of money, but only an everyday occurrence rather than once a year or whatever.

You really are a dumba** arent you....

2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 11:58:51 PM
Scoring 41% on rotten tomatoes the political implication would not matter. Majority rule is all or nothing. Too bad, the trailers easily were 51%.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 12:08:40 AM
At 6/9/2013 11:58:51 PM, 2-D wrote:
Scoring 41% on rotten tomatoes the political implication would not matter. Majority rule is all or nothing. Too bad, the trailers easily were 51%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com...

41% of critics liked the film, 59% of the actual audience though liked the film, 1% short of being considered 'fresh'

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 1:21:31 AM
I think if there was a message in this film, the ending and the target (the family from the trailer) is key in its identification. Most likely, there isn't too much of a message, since it looked more like a horror/thriller flick, so I won't watch it, but the premise looked good.
My work here is, finally, done.