Jump to topic:

Government

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:55:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Government is like a condom in that it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys subsequent generations, protects a bunch of pricks, and provides its constituents with a sense of security while they are actually being screwed." - Urban Dictionary

Clearly, there is no love for government lately. Are we going to see a swing in the political pendulum and see the shrinking of government in the coming generation?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 8:58:07 PM
Doubtful. People are increasingly skeptical of government but most government programs still have huge public support. What's more likely to happen is lessened growth of government, but I think an actual shrinkage is far too much to hope for
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:03:48 PM
Western culture begets ideological schisms; ideological schisms beget constant opposition to the powers that be. There's no such thing as a popular democratic government. This is not new.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:05:18 PM
At 6/10/2013 8:58:07 PM, thett3 wrote:
Doubtful. People are increasingly skeptical of government but most government programs still have huge public support. What's more likely to happen is lessened growth of government, but I think an actual shrinkage is far too much to hope for

I don't think there's really much of a skepitism towards government. There's been a backlash against government's invasion of privacy, but there hasn't been a backlash against government spending program. Hating certain government policy isn't necessarily correlated with wanting to shrink the government.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:08:48 PM
At 6/10/2013 9:05:18 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I don't think there's really much of a skepitism towards government. There's been a backlash against government's invasion of privacy, but there hasn't been a backlash against government spending program. Hating certain government policy isn't necessarily correlated with wanting to shrink the government.

What I'm saying though is if this distrust continues and begins to get stronger and more prevalent, will younger generations or even the next generation want this? Obviously the current elder generations have no problems with it because the government is either taking care of them or has promised to take care of them.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:35:45 PM
At 6/10/2013 9:08:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What I'm saying though is if this distrust continues and begins to get stronger and more prevalent, will younger generations or even the next generation want this? Obviously the current elder generations have no problems with it because the government is either taking care of them or has promised to take care of them.

Unfortunately, I believe that our generation actual favors more government involvement in providing goods and services to people like healthcare.
Open borders debate:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 9:42:05 PM
At 6/10/2013 9:35:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/10/2013 9:08:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Unfortunately, I believe that our generation actual favors more government involvement in providing goods and services to people like healthcare.

Government is like a six bedroom house owned by a pimp.... very conducive to prostitution.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 11:24:52 PM
At 6/10/2013 11:19:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Changing demographics show the beginning of a new Democratic era.

Oh stop. People were saying the same damn thing when W won in 04. Things change just as political parties will, and already are. The new faces of the Republican party are already increasingly diverse. W won nearly 40% of the Latino vote in 2004 and managed to carry one the most heavily hispanic state in the country (New Mexico). Just because Republicans were stupid enough to nominate a living stereotype of the white aristocracy to run against an exciting black incumbent doesn't mean they'll always be that stupid.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 11:41:48 PM
At 6/10/2013 11:24:52 PM, thett3 wrote:

Oh stop. People were saying the same damn thing when W won in 04. Things change just as political parties will, and already are. The new faces of the Republican party are already increasingly diverse. W won nearly 40% of the Latino vote in 2004 and managed to carry one the most heavily hispanic state in the country (New Mexico). Just because Republicans were stupid enough to nominate a living stereotype of the white aristocracy to run against an exciting black incumbent doesn't mean they'll always be that stupid.

You know, in some ways, I find it pretty sad that Romney lost largely because of the trait you described. Rich and successful people aren't considered good candidates because they don't appeal to the middle-class folks. Meanwhile, Bush was able to win presidency by pretending to be a low-class idiot (when he really isn't).
Open borders debate:
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 11:43:44 PM
At 6/10/2013 11:41:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You know, in some ways, I find it pretty sad that Romney lost largely because of the trait you described. Rich and successful people aren't considered good candidates because they don't appeal to the middle-class folks. Meanwhile, Bush was able to win presidency by pretending to be a low-class idiot (when he really isn't).

Lol I know. Bush purposely exaggerated getting bad grades and such and hardly ever talked about Yale. It is a shame that his business career was demonized and at one point he was accused of being responsible for a woman's death because he failed to save the firm her husband worked at several years ago. Mob rule
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 12:06:34 AM
At 6/10/2013 8:55:12 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
"Government is like a condom in that it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys subsequent generations, protects a bunch of pricks, and provides its constituents with a sense of security while they are actually being screwed." - Urban Dictionary

Clearly, there is no love for government lately. Are we going to see a swing in the political pendulum and see the shrinking of government in the coming generation?

If the hippie generation didn't shrink the government, I doubt ours will.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 12:20:32 AM
At 6/11/2013 12:06:34 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/10/2013 8:55:12 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

If the hippie generation didn't shrink the government, I doubt ours will.

touche
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:13:01 PM

I had been saying that a Republican would win, for awhile. I only recently changed my mind.

I think 2016 and 2020 are the last chances Republicans have to completely redefine themselves.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 8:03:31 PM
At 6/10/2013 9:03:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
Western culture begets ideological schisms; ideological schisms beget constant opposition to the powers that be. There's no such thing as a popular democratic government. This is not new.

In the US it actually IS relatively new--the nationwide pessimistic/cynical attitude toward government, many historians argue, can be traced to the Vietnam War and civilian backlash to it.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus