Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Should the Redskins be forced to rename?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 9:01:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://espn.go.com...

Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL, is defending the Washington Redskins' right to retain their name despite an uproar from certain spear-chuckers that the name is inherently derogatory and racist. Do you agree that it is derogatory and racist?

The wagon-burners... excuse me, the "Congressional Native American Caucus" are gaining support in congress and at this point they are hoping for a non-judicial solution, but Goodell's response likely means it is going to be a fight until the bitter end between the two sides.

A couple of side-notes:
- If Native Americans are only people who have ancestors that are 500 years or more native to the land, then what are you and I? I guess I am a Native Portugean, despite having never been there... Something isn't right about that :/

- "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

WTF is the "W-word?" And are we going to get so politically-correct about this that "Redskin" will be on the same level as nig***? Again, something isn't right here. I guess, nig*** used to be commonly accepted and not vulgar, and then we created the vulgarity through political correctness. I think it's interesting that the term is not vulgar from blacks...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 9:26:33 PM
Yes.. Those savages should be forced to rename, so people would stop harassing the Washington Redskins.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
utahjoker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 9:43:56 PM
Redskin is a slang word for native americans kind of how the N-word is for Africans so yeah they should change it. How about to the Washington Natives, you can have the best of both worlds. You can keep the native american theme, but also not be offensive
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 9:44:15 PM
At 6/12/2013 9:19:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I don't understand why Redskin is even offensive. Their skin isn't red, so why do they care?

I don't understand why 'Redskin' is an inappropriate name but 'Redneck' is not.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 9:47:39 PM
At 6/12/2013 9:01:54 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
http://espn.go.com...

Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL, is defending the Washington Redskins' right to retain their name despite an uproar from certain spear-chuckers that the name is inherently derogatory and racist. Do you agree that it is derogatory and racist?

The wagon-burners... excuse me, the "Congressional Native American Caucus" are gaining support in congress and at this point they are hoping for a non-judicial solution, but Goodell's response likely means it is going to be a fight until the bitter end between the two sides.

A couple of side-notes:
- If Native Americans are only people who have ancestors that are 500 years or more native to the land, then what are you and I? I guess I am a Native Portugean, despite having never been there... Something isn't right about that :/

- "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

WTF is the "W-word?" And are we going to get so politically-correct about this that "Redskin" will be on the same level as nig***? Again, something isn't right here. I guess, nig*** used to be commonly accepted and not vulgar, and then we created the vulgarity through political correctness. I think it's interesting that the term is not vulgar from blacks...

The 'W' word is 'wetback'.