Jump to topic:

Was Hitler a good guy?

RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 1:35:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Let's say we judged people by their intentions rather than their actions. Hitler actually thought he was doing good by destroying a race of people who he thought to be corrupt and evil. He may have been mis-led in his attack on the Jews, but was he really a Bad person?

I think Hitler meant well, which makes him ultimately a good guy. You can see what I mean right?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 1:56:50 PM
Even if we conceded that Hitler did think what he was doing was good, judging actions solely by their intention is too simple. Intention is part of the ruling in my opinion, but there's more to it than just motive. I'd go with Bertrand Russel and say someone is acting morally only if he rationally thought out his action and justifiably believed what he was doing was right. If Hitler did believe he was doing the right thing, it was far from a rational belief and definitely not justified. While I agree that someone can be acting morally under misguided beliefs, intention cannot be the only factor in judging moral acts.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 1:58:51 PM
At 6/16/2013 1:35:31 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
Let's say we judged people by their intentions rather than their actions. Hitler actually thought he was doing good by destroying a race of people who he thought to be corrupt and evil. He may have been mis-led in his attack on the Jews, but was he really a Bad person?

I think Hitler meant well, which makes him ultimately a good guy. You can see what I mean right?

I can see what you mean, but this line of thinking is pointless.

Who chooses to do things without good intentions, whether they be for the good of themselves, family, or country? No one acts with impure thoughts, do they?

I mean, who goes around saying, "I think I'll be evil today"?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:01:55 PM
Let's say we judged people by their rhetoric rather than their actions. Hitler actually thought he was doing good by destroying a race of people who he thought to be corrupt and evil. He may have been mis-led in his attack on the Jews, but was he really a Bad person?

Using policy speeches by fascist dictators as a realistic predictor of theiractual political rationale behind genocide is just this side of deranged.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:33:07 PM
At 6/16/2013 1:58:51 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Who chooses to do things without good intentions, whether they be for the good of themselves, family, or country? No one acts with impure thoughts, do they?

I think people can act with unpure thoughts. If you have ever done something out of spite, anger, or jealousy, than you have done something with evil intentions.

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:41:00 PM
I'd actually enjoy the chance to sit down and drink with hitler, i bet he was a gas
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:46:27 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:41:00 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I'd actually enjoy the chance to sit down and drink with hitler, i bet he was a gas

I did Nazi that coming.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:47:00 PM

... Jokes like this take we way outside mein kampfort zone.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:48:05 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:33:07 PM, TUF wrote:

I think people can act with unpure thoughts. If you have ever done something out of spite, anger, or jealousy, than you have done something with evil intentions.

Not if it was justified.
You hit me, so I hit you. Now we're even. Balance has been restored. Sure, I might have been angry, but I still acted with justice and fairness in mind.

One man's revenge is another's righting of a wrong (avenge?). The "goodness" in revenge is feeling whole again, which is of itself an act of good intentions. Self-involved, but good to you nevertheless.

Do people think of their actions of revenge as evil, or justified?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:49:12 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:47:00 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Even with the typo, the winner so far!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:49:16 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:33:07 PM, TUF wrote:

Those things are acted upon impulsively or rationalized to the point where one doesn't believe they are acting with evil intentions - which I believe is what the point was. I don't think anyone ever concludes, 'this is something evil, I am going to do it anyway.' They either ignore any reasoning, or rationalize it to the point where they believe it isn't evil at all... I think the OP addresses that pretty well with regards to Hitler, as by taking just his Jew killing policies, aren't particularly unique. In fact, his belief and justification have occurred many times in history and the only thing unique about this incident is his success.

If we take it a step further, one could justify genocide of Jews with moral imperative. It's only in recent history that Christianity (as one example) has withdrawn Jewish responsibility for the death of Jesus, and even still, hatred for Jews is ingrained culturally and religiously (thus still can be acted upon with a sense of moral correctness) in many parts of the world. So was Hitler a bad guy? Probably. But I'm not sure I could make a solid supporting argument of that just based on his feelings towards Jews and his ability to get the results that many (at least at the time) agree with.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:51:13 PM

I'll Gestappo with the puns then.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:06:16 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:51:13 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Jew guys are terrible.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:08:42 PM
At 6/16/2013 3:06:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Jew guys are terrible.

Anne Frankly I don't care sir
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:39:02 PM
Was Hitler a good guy?

That depends on whether your goals for the world and it's domination matched his. As it is so often said "good, bad right, wrong are all relative". Although it makes me want to puke when people say this, because it's just a cop out to not take a position.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:43:32 PM
At 6/16/2013 3:08:42 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Jew guys are terrible.

I did nazi that joke coming. Goering up the joke company for some funnier puns.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:49:45 PM
At 6/16/2013 4:43:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Jew guys are terrible.

Nah, I think its time auschwitz the topic to something else
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 4:56:25 PM

http://files.hiscifi.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 5:39:58 PM

"Hell is full of good intentions, but heaven is full of good deeds." ~ Proverb derived from Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

I have always said, that I don't believe anyone is truly evil. That is to say, I don't believe anyone has evil intentions. It is the methodology that is evil, not the intentions. Hitler believed what he did was a good thing, but what he did was monstrous.

This is why I hate it when people say, "[So and so] means well", or "[So and so] believes it is the right thing to do". Just because your intentions are good, does not mean what you are doing is good.

I also hate it when people claim that someone has purely malicious intent. Take Osama Bin Laden for example. In Osama's mind, 9/11 was a good thing. Osama believed mass-murderer gave gave him the moral high-ground. It seems twisted when you think about it like that, but he didn't see it as mass-murder; he saw it as a moral crusade. This is why "the end justifies the means" is a logical fallacy; it ignores the moral implications of the means, by focusing on the moral implications of the ends. You cannot separate the two; you have to weigh the effects of both the ends and the means.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:07:38 PM
At 6/16/2013 4:43:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Jew guys are terrible.

You guys are just heilarious.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 8:48:41 PM
At 6/16/2013 5:39:58 PM, DanT wrote:

"Hell is full of good intentions, but heaven is full of good deeds." ~ Proverb derived from Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

I have always said, that I don't believe anyone is truly evil. That is to say, I don't believe anyone has evil intentions. It is the methodology that is evil, not the intentions. Hitler believed what he did was a good thing, but what he did was monstrous.

This is why I hate it when people say, "[So and so] means well", or "[So and so] believes it is the right thing to do". Just because your intentions are good, does not mean what you are doing is good.

I also hate it when people claim that someone has purely malicious intent. Take Osama Bin Laden for example. In Osama's mind, 9/11 was a good thing. Osama believed mass-murderer gave gave him the moral high-ground. It seems twisted when you think about it like that, but he didn't see it as mass-murder; he saw it as a moral crusade. This is why "the end justifies the means" is a logical fallacy; it ignores the moral implications of the means, by focusing on the moral implications of the ends. You cannot separate the two; you have to weigh the effects of both the ends and the means.

I'm fairly certain, albeit I can never be sure, that the likes of Ted Bundy, Albert Fish, and John Wayne Gacy, did not have good intentions.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:21:16 PM
At 6/16/2013 8:48:41 PM, muzebreak wrote:

I'm fairly certain, albeit I can never be sure, that the likes of Ted Bundy, Albert Fish, and John Wayne Gacy, did not have good intentions.

"Carlisle states that serial killers can present a public persona that appears to be 'good' and also nurture a dark side that allows murderous fantasies free reign. Because they have painful memories from abuse, disappointment, humiliation, frustration, or being bullied, they have turned to fantasies to comfort themselves. They might even develop an alternate identity that feels more powerful or provides greater status. Bundy had detailed hero fantasies which eventually turned into sexual possession.

As Carlisle puts it, fantasies accommodate the expression of unacceptable impulses, desires and aspirations. As normal life grows boring, frustrating or disappointing, the fantasy life can become more attractive. Eventually, the brutal dimension might gain more substance through mental rehearsal or opportunity, and the unrestricted fantasy can develop into an unquenchable addiction. That"s how he believes Bundy would have described it....

Gradually, fantasy melds with reality.

'Since it"s very difficult " some would say, almost impossible " to have good and evil co-exist within the same mind,' Carlisle stated, 'Bundy had to find a way to minimize the polarity between the two parts. His criteria for determining right from wrong gradually changed over time. What was wrong for him as a child may have become acceptable as an early teen and then desirable when he was in his late teens.'"
http://www.psychologytoday.com...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:32:41 PM
At 6/16/2013 9:21:16 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2013 8:48:41 PM, muzebreak wrote:

"Carlisle states that serial killers can present a public persona that appears to be 'good' and also nurture a dark side that allows murderous fantasies free reign. Because they have painful memories from abuse, disappointment, humiliation, frustration, or being bullied, they have turned to fantasies to comfort themselves. They might even develop an alternate identity that feels more powerful or provides greater status. Bundy had detailed hero fantasies which eventually turned into sexual possession.

As Carlisle puts it, fantasies accommodate the expression of unacceptable impulses, desires and aspirations. As normal life grows boring, frustrating or disappointing, the fantasy life can become more attractive. Eventually, the brutal dimension might gain more substance through mental rehearsal or opportunity, and the unrestricted fantasy can develop into an unquenchable addiction. That"s how he believes Bundy would have described it....

Gradually, fantasy melds with reality.

'Since it"s very difficult " some would say, almost impossible " to have good and evil co-exist within the same mind,' Carlisle stated, 'Bundy had to find a way to minimize the polarity between the two parts. His criteria for determining right from wrong gradually changed over time. What was wrong for him as a child may have become acceptable as an early teen and then desirable when he was in his late teens.'"
http://www.psychologytoday.com...

great post man
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:36:42 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:01:55 PM, Wnope wrote:
Let's say we judged people by their rhetoric rather than their actions. Hitler actually thought he was doing good by destroying a race of people who he thought to be corrupt and evil. He may have been mis-led in his attack on the Jews, but was he really a Bad person?

Using policy speeches by fascist dictators as a realistic predictor of theiractual political rationale behind genocide is just this side of deranged.

I would agree with this and add that labeling Hitler's intentions as "making the world a better place" is tantamount to describing Nixon's cover up of Watergate as "protecting America."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:45:51 PM

Sometimes I read things, and I think... wow, what a waste of carbon...
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 9:51:53 PM
At 6/16/2013 9:46:06 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Of course he was a good guy, he killed Hitler.

http://www.quickmeme.com...

I particularly enjoyed:

"Russia is red. Poland is screwed. [Hitler] won't kill you unless you're a Jew."
Tsar of DDO
Rhett_Butler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 11:45:27 PM
Well, he may have killed a dozen million people, but he only did what he thought was right for his country. It isn't like he was Hitler or anything- oh wait...

Hitler is forever synonymous with evil.

"We will go down in history either as the world's greatest statesmen or its worst villains." Goring.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 4:18:21 PM
At 6/16/2013 9:51:53 PM, YYW wrote:

I particularly enjoyed:

"Russia is red. Poland is screwed. [Hitler] won't kill you unless you're a Jew."

Or had even 1 Jewish grandparent, or were physically/mentally disabled, or homosexual, or tried to save, hide, or defend any of these people.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 4:26:11 PM
At 6/17/2013 4:18:21 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 6/16/2013 9:51:53 PM, YYW wrote:

I particularly enjoyed:

Or had even 1 Jewish grandparent, or were physically/mentally disabled, or homosexual, or tried to save, hide, or defend any of these people.

Congratulations, kiddo. You have successfully ruined the Hitler joke...
Tsar of DDO