President Obama, who sucks at his job

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:35:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://memez.com...

"I can see liberals' blood boiling over this one... 50% of viewers will laugh at this, the other 50% will go on about why he's not that bad and the other party couldn't have done better. It doesn't matter what your political views are, no president will ever please everyone. it's not possible. So every President can be listed here but I went with the one that's currently in office."

Click on the link to see the picture.

I lol'd.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:39:40 PM
I don't get it.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:49:18 PM
All I got from that picture is "there are many bad things happening. Obama is president." So I'm not sure what part of that was supposed to be funny - is it the fact that the scene is so generic and applicable to EVERY period of human history - Is it the suggestion that the American president is the source and solution of all problems - is it the amalgam of selective negative images used to create the impression of chaos (and it, by the way, escapes me why people seem to think the more cynical they are, the more intelligent they look)?

So the picture fails on two fronts. It looks like a failed attempt at a coherent message. And then furthermore, it wasn't funny. Why did you post this, and what part of it appeals to you?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:55:51 PM
Look YWW he did it!!! The prophecy!
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:56:04 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:55:51 PM, Noumena wrote:
Look YYW he did it!!! The prophecy!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:14:49 PM

Yup.

I wonder how long Ike looked at the picture. I wonder how many details he noticed. I wonder if he picked up on the nuances, the stark contrast of Obama and everything else, and the general image.

But if a joke has to be explained, it's not funny.
Tsar of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:25:53 PM
It'd be funnier if it was a funny joke in the first place. If I imagined it being, say, "David Cameron" who I think isn't good at his job, I still don't really find it funny. The problem is when people try to be funny and political at the same time - usually it just comes off as political and argumentative.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:29:24 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:25:53 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
It'd be funnier if it was a funny joke in the first place. If I imagined it being, say, "David Cameron" who I think isn't good at his job, I still don't really find it funny. The problem is when people try to be funny and political at the same time - usually it just comes off as political and argumentative.

Political humor is an acquired taste. I mean, this isn't a ROFLMAO, or even a ROFL internet political joke thing... it's a LOL, and no more. I'll admit that I have a bizarre sense of humor though. That much I've known for some time.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:30:35 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:14:49 PM, YYW wrote:

Yup.

I wonder how long Ike looked at the picture. I wonder how many details he noticed. I wonder if he picked up on the nuances, the stark contrast of Obama and everything else, and the general image.

Well no one else found it funny. So you probably just have an off sense of humor.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:32:40 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:29:24 PM, YYW wrote:

Political humor is an acquired taste. I mean, this isn't a ROFLMAO, or even a ROFL internet political joke thing... it's a LOL, and no more. I'll admit that I have a bizarre sense of humor though. That much I've known for some time.

says who? I'm starting to think your "bold declarative statements" thread is more of an outlet for your argumentative habits than anything else.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:33:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Reagan's approval ratings hovered between 40% and 60% during his entire presidency. Sometimes, they broke through the ceiling, and sometimes they crashed through the floor. Reagan is seen as one of the great presidents in US history.

Obama is well on his way to something similar, IMHO.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:48:33 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:30:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/19/2013 4:14:49 PM, YYW wrote:

Yup.

Well no one else found it funny. So you probably just have an off sense of humor.

Did you not read the post directly above this one? Duh...
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:51:26 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:32:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

says who?

If humor (that is, what we find funny) is subjective (which is to say that we do not all find the same things to be amusing), then political humor (a specific kind of humor) should likewise vary (meaning that not all will find the same things funny).

I'm starting to think your "bold declarative statements" thread is more of an outlet for your argumentative habits than anything else.

Well, if you think it it must be true, rofl.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:51:52 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:33:08 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Reagan's approval ratings hovered between 40% and 60% during his entire presidency. Sometimes, they broke through the ceiling, and sometimes they crashed through the floor. Reagan is seen as one of the great presidents in US history.

Obama is well on his way to something similar, IMHO.

I think you're probably correct about that.
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:54:09 PM

says who? I'm starting to think your "bold declarative statements" thread is more of an outlet for your argumentative habits than anything else.

Is that supposed to insult him? What's the point of being on DDO if you don't have argumentative habits?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:57:41 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:51:26 PM, YYW wrote:

says who?

If humor (that is, what we find funny) is subjective (which is to say that we do not all find the same things to be amusing), then political humor (a specific kind of humor) should likewise vary (meaning that not all will find the same things funny).

Disliking something that is "an acquired taste" implicates immaturity or inexperience. You're either using the term incorrectly or you have no idea what you're talking about. My bet's on both.

I'm starting to think your "bold declarative statements" thread is more of an outlet for your argumentative habits than anything else.

Not a far cry from your motto: "if you say it confidently, it must be true"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:57:41 PM

says who?

Disliking something that is "an acquired taste" implicates immaturity or inexperience. You're either using the term incorrectly or you have no idea what you're talking about. My bet's on both.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:58:25 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:54:09 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Is that supposed to insult him? What's the point of being on DDO if you don't have argumentative habits?

you missed the point there. You should read it again
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:58:43 PM

lol it's cool, Robert. Ike loves to make pithy petulant comments where he attempts to either insult me or make me look stupid. I think it's kind of adorable, actually... in the same way that a pomeranian barks bites the ankles of people when it wants attention is adorable. I think some people would kick the dog across the floor, but I'm not that mean. In any case, the "BOLD DECLARATIVE STATEMENT" thread was more or less something random that occurred to me, which I posted on DDO.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:02:26 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:58:43 PM, YYW wrote:

lol it's cool, Robert. Ike loves to make pithy petulant comments where he attempts to either insult me or make me look stupid. I think it's kind of adorable, actually... in the same way that a pomeranian barks bites the ankles of people when it wants attention is adorable. I think some people would kick the dog across the floor, but I'm not that mean. In any case, the "BOLD DECLARATIVE STATEMENT" thread was more or less something random that occurred to me, which I posted on DDO.

He thought that I was attacking you for being argumentative and you're aware of that. Don't exploit his misapprehension for support.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:04:56 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:57:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

says who?

Ike, you really shouldn't open doors unless you want to see what's behind them. I'd say that you're both immature (as evidenced by your posting habits and your lack of social prowess) and profoundly experienced in life (as evidenced by your myopic world view and your young age). lol... keep trying, Ike. Keep trying...

Oh yes. That is indeed the motto I live by! You've figured it out! How exceptional your powers of deduction must be!

rofl

Tell me, Ike... why is it that you seem so consistently dedicated to attempt to make me look foolish?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:06:56 PM
At 6/19/2013 5:02:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/19/2013 4:58:43 PM, YYW wrote:

He thought that I was attacking you for being argumentative and you're aware of that. Don't exploit his misapprehension for support.

Now why would you think that I did? Why would you think that Robert doesn't agree with what I said? Those keen powers of deduction of yours, perhaps?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:07:53 PM
At 6/19/2013 5:04:56 PM, YYW wrote:

says who?

Ike, you really shouldn't open doors unless you want to see what's behind them. I'd say that you're both immature (as evidenced by your posting habits and your lack of social prowess) and profoundly inexperienced* in life (as evidenced by your myopic world view and your young age). lol... keep trying, Ike. Keep trying...

Pardon my spelling.

Oh yes. That is indeed the motto I live by! You've figured it out! How exceptional your powers of deduction must be!

rofl

Tell me, Ike... why is it that you seem so consistently dedicated to attempt to make me look foolish?
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:09:11 PM

says who?

Ike, you really shouldn't open doors unless you want to see what's behind them. I'd say that you're both immature (as evidenced by your posting habits and your lack of social prowess) and profoundly experienced in life (as evidenced by your myopic world view and your young age). lol... keep trying, Ike. Keep trying...

I have a very tough task for you. Are you ready?

Explain to me what this thing you just wrote has to do with the comment that precedes it. go

rofl

You're clearly more flustered by this harmless conversation than I, so I think you make yourself look foolish - I have no hand in that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:11:43 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:35:54 PM, YYW wrote:
no president will ever please everyone. it's not possible.

It's not about that. I don't want a President that pleases everyone. I want a President to stay out my personal life and quit spending my money.

Calvin Coolidge is the man.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:11:48 PM
At 6/19/2013 5:09:11 PM, 000ike wrote:

says who?

I have a very tough task for you. Are you ready?

Explain to me what this thing you just wrote has to do with the comment that precedes it. go

Those keen powers of deduction not working for you, Ike?

rofl

You're clearly more flustered by this harmless conversation than I, so I think you make yourself look foolish - I have no hand in that.

I'm really just having some fun with you, but if you've had enough I'll stop.
Tsar of DDO
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:12:13 PM

i got this and it was funny
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:12:59 PM
Ike and YYW -- Please shorten the quotes so it doesn't all look cluttered in the thread. But keep fighting, entertaining so far!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 5:13:20 PM
At 6/19/2013 5:11:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/19/2013 3:35:54 PM, YYW wrote:
no president will ever please everyone. it's not possible.

It's not about that. I don't want a President that pleases everyone. I want a President to stay out my personal life and quit spending my money.

I don't necessarily disagree in principle, but the extent to which we believe that rule should apply probably varies by a considerable margin.
Tsar of DDO