Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:24:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:47:48 PM
Lol at his opposition to doctors pay. They can't help people unless they eat money. In fact, doctors pay has been falling. Mostly because most of their patients are Medicaid, and Medicaid pays like crap, and private practice is dying because of regulations.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:50:27 PM
At 6/19/2013 9:47:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Lol at his opposition to doctors pay. They can't help people unless they eat money. In fact, doctors pay has been falling. Mostly because most of their patients are Medicaid, and Medicaid pays like crap, and private practice is dying because of regulations.

I'm dumb. I needed to keep watching.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Jojo123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 2:20:14 AM
Love the ideas. Really do. But your order and the timeframe imagined is not feasible. I truly do wish that a majority of your ideas came to reality.

Points 1: love it. However, the idea of only needing insurance for major medical only works if 1. People can/will pay the small sum for a routine visit. And 2. If testing, even strep/ pap/ viral load/ didn't inherently have a fee associated. It sucks, but technology costs money. Sure, we can test for disease much quicker than ever before, which has increased our ability to treat/cure people. But that does not come free. We now need labs to process samples. Those labs charge for their work.
Even for the simple stuff.

Point 2: love it.

Point 3: love it, but I have to ask how many drugs have failed in the foreign market, killing people, the the US has been protected from due to the FDAs feet dragging.

Point 4: the AOA, American osteopathic association, also grants medical licenses. There is still, I this country, a lot of DO discrimination, but trust me, DOs are trained to the same standard and level as MDs and DO physicians are on the rise.
I would love to see the cost of medical care decrease, and though, as a current medical student, I realize that that would mean a lower pay (more comparable to that of European docs). It would have to first be triggered with a change in how medical school is paid for. In Europe it is nearly free. In America, students leave with $250,000 in debt. Then they work for 4-10 years, depending on speciality, at just over minimum wage (residency). After that they make that high paycheck, while at the same time trying to pay off that debt as quickly as possible.
Personally, I want to go into doctors without borders, where, sure, you make next to nothing, but you truly get to help to neediest of people. I really did not go into medicine for the money. However, I can only live that dream if my loans go away. Something that, without a miracle, won't happen. I cross my fingers, and work those fingers to the bone to make that miracle happen. But so far, a quarter of a million is a hard debt to pair down.

Point 5: also love it. Except, I would prefer that health insurance was taken completely out of employer hands. This would increase competition (I really do love capitalism) and allow for the ability to truly have plans that cater to the needs of the individual.
Plans, like the ones you mentioned, with maternity for men and alcohol rehab for non drinkers are because of the lack of competition. Take done the state lines, take it out of be hands of the employer and we might see companies tailor making plans.

However, all this is just smoke and mirrors. There is a problem that you did not address at all. What about the people who do not pick up thief own insurance, that do not pick up a plan through their job, who do not have jobs. Those that are on Medicare/Medicaid. These are government agencies are currently going under. The money that they do pay does not cover the cost of medical care (causing your insured bill to increase, btw). You really thing that a Tylenol costs $20? No, 19.10 of that is going to pay for a small portion of the uninsured person who came in before you's bill.

There is much more to this issue than what you covered, though, for the most part,you are on the right tract.

I do believe, however, that a stepwise approach, starting with some of the ideas you brought up is far better than an entire overhaul of the system.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 11:21:19 AM
Without watching this 15 minute video, I have three things that would fix healthcare, not cost anything, and was perhaps mentioned in the video:

1. Healthcare =/= health insurance.
Stop combining the two and get rid of co-pays. I have no insurance, and I have never paid more than $400 for an office visit, including tests, and an additional $200 for medicine. Why pay $400/mo to cover these costs? You are overpaying, unless you have a bad year.

2. Eliminate regulations
Let consumers buy the coverage they want, and accross state lines as well. If I want no co-pay, let me have an option that doesn't have it. I don't want to be covered for pregnency, addiction, or many other conditions. What I want is major medical, with a $5K deductable where I pay the routine visits. This should cost me about $100/mo or less, and the savings would be huge. If I were to go two years without seeing the doctor or being in the hospital, my lowered premiums would have saved me about $6,000, enough to cover the deductable.

3. Get rid of employer health care deductions
Eliminate deductions for health insurance for employees. This will increase salaries and the insurance then follows the individual, not the business, if they choose to get any.

Also, with this, people will have money to have an HSA, which will make routine visits and/or large deductables more affordable.
My work here is, finally, done.