Jump to topic:

Amnesty for missing persons

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 2:17:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Not sure where to put this, so I put it here...

I went to a restaurant today and saw a poster for a missing teen and I thought to myself how awful that must be for a friend/family to deal with - the not knowing. In all honesty, it is probably worse to not know then to know they were murdered.

As such, what do you think of this proposal: (I am away of the pragmatism problems)

In the event that some bastard has dug a shallow grave somewhere, they can anonymously let law enforcement know where the body is. In so doing, no forensic evidence obtained will be admissible in court.

Do you think these criminals would at least let the family live in peace? Serial killers, no, but I think most would.
My work here is, finally, done.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 5:56:28 PM
Just recently, my neighbor's kids were kidnapped. No joke. It's sad cause I was good friends with them and I taught them how to play baseball. http://cjonline.com...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:43:45 PM
At 6/20/2013 5:56:28 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Just recently, my neighbor's kids were kidnapped. No joke. It's sad cause I was good friends with them and I taught them how to play baseball. http://cjonline.com...

That really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that.

So, do you like this idea? Wouldn't it be nice to know they are not suffering in the event they died? Or maybe even dropped off somewhere alive, so they can be reunited with their family?

It's not like an investigation won't take place, but if it can't be used in court, police may keep a tab on these people.
My work here is, finally, done.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:47:42 PM
At 6/20/2013 2:17:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I went to a restaurant today and saw a poster for a missing teen and I thought to myself how awful that must be for a friend/family to deal with - the not knowing. In all honesty, it is probably worse to not know then to know they were murdered.

As such, what do you think of this proposal: (I am away of the pragmatism problems)

In the event that some bastard has dug a shallow grave somewhere, they can anonymously let law enforcement know where the body is. In so doing, no forensic evidence obtained will be admissible in court.

Do you think these criminals would at least let the family live in peace? Serial killers, no, but I think most would.

If one assumes that knowing that the murderer will get away scott free > then not knowing whether your child is dead or not, but at least the police are investigating it, then yes. but I think the former is worse than the latter.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:50:51 PM
This would also increase the incentives for murdering people if you can just get off scott free if you tell them they're dead instead of missing.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:25:10 PM
At 6/20/2013 2:17:26 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I really don't think so. Why would they knowingly give up a semblance of protection they have as long as the body is not discovered? Court cases are mostly about convincing the jury, and forensic evidences aren't like lie detector tests (which have a high chance of false reporting).

I mean, why would they? If you had a chance of fessing up to one piece of lie you had said, and was told that you wouldn't be judged for it, would you?